Protein sources

Options
I recently had surgery and my doctor wants me to eat a high protein diet to help with healing. I'm logging my foods so I can see how much protein I'm actually consuming and I find that I'm struggling to get my percentage up to even the recommended level. I think a food item is high in protein but then it mostly shows up as a carb or a sugar. Little frustrating. I thought I knew what a protein was. Any suggestions for high protein sources? I really don't want to consume a lot of meat either. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Replies

• FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, eggs, egg whites and Chicken breast and Greek yogurt are my go to for protein. I also like the cliff protein bars mint chocolate. They have snack size 130 calories with 10 grams of protein or 270 calorie bars with 20 grams of protein.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of meat either. I usually have 6 oz of meat per day and meet the rest of my protein requirements with greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder, milk, cheese, or eggs. You'll get some protein from things like nuts, legumes, and veggies but it'll be less.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, chicken breast and non-fat lattes are my go-to's for protein!
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, cheese, veggies especially spinach, beans, eggs, protein shakes made with milk, vegetarian meat sources such as morning star, Boca, gardein, quorn and soy, tofu and and seitan
  • Cookingcolavita
    Cookingcolavita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've been a pescatarian for 3 years and I rely on lean protein sources like black turtle beans, chickpeas, black eyed peas, cottage cheese, salmon, tuna, tilapia, greek yogurt, natural peanut butter, almonds, cashews, and whey protein powder. I have one or two protein sources per meal so try adding more and a variety of them to change it up everyday! Tracking your protein intake is great too! It definitely helps :smile:
  • OhioCXgeek
    OhioCXgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Beans have protein as well. I don't eat a lot of red meat, but do eat poultry and fish which have protein. Soy has protein as well, though if you're not a fan of tofu, or other soy-based products, you'll have to do without. Protein shakes are a good way to get protein, some are gross, but the flavored ones are alright. My favorite is apple juice and vanilla flavored protein powder, tastes like apple pie and ice cream. :laugh:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Can you at least tell us what you thought were high protein sources?

Meat, poultry, fish, beans (which are fairly high carb), nuts and nut butters (which are fairly high fat), greek yogurt (variable fat and moderate carb), cottage cheese (variable fat, moderate protein and carb), eggs (equal fat and protein), egg whites, protein powder.. if you choose not to eat nature's best protein sources (animals) then I'd suggest supplementing.
  • louise41lls
    Options
    Thanks everybody. That helps. I have a lot of food allergies so I'm limited on choices, but you have given me some great ideas. Thanks a bunch. I'll give some of them a try.
  • jtitus2014
    jtitus2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just bought Dannon Greek yogurt with 2x the protein which was like 24g for a cup I believe.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tina. Check out whey protein powder, low fat string cheese, non fat yogurt, canned tuna and skinless chicken. Good luck! :smile:
  • bikerchick567
    bikerchick567 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty high protein diet. Some of my favorites are egg whites, fish, plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and tofu. Cheese has some protein though quite a bit of fat. Almond cheese may be a good alternative. It has 50 calories per oz with 7g protein and 1g fat and only 3g carbs. It is an acquired taste. I like the herb or jalapeno flavors best. The mozzarella makes a nice topping on a pizza. Be careful about protein bars. Most still have quite a bit of sugar in them even though they are listed as "protein" bars. I do use protein powders. You will just need to read the labels to make sure there are not a lot of fillers and chemicals in them as well. I have purchased many different kinds and try to find those with the highest amount of protein with the lowest carbs. I am not cutting out carbs but prefer to get them from other foods - rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Good luck!