Favorite salad

Options
whats your favorite salad?
i like a basic salad with cold chicken breast,

lettuce- 5 oz
grape tomatos 12 cut in half
1 slice of sargento reduced fat cheese. i slide it into little strips like shredded cheese
4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
and 2tbs of western fat free.

its 328 calories very filling,
whats your favoirte?

Replies

• jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    My favorites:

chopped tomato, onion, cuke, green pepper, celery, with or without chicken tossed with salad greens and toasted sesame dressing.

or

grilled orange chicken (I use Iron Chef), half a tangerine (torn in pieces), dried cranberries, and slivered almonds tossed with baby spinach and Drew's Poppyseed dressing.....so yummy!!
  • ChelleBelle1
    ChelleBelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like mixed greens with turkey, artichokes, roasted red peppers, provolone cheese. Mmmmm!!
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lettuce, goats cheese, tomato, mushrooms, cucumber and beetroot. AMAZING

love chicken salads too, i sometimes put some pineapple in it too.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I always use a base mix of baby spinach and mixed field greens - good flavor balance, and texture.

For sweet and savory, I'll add feta crumbles, raw sunflower meat, diced red bell pepper, blueberries (or strawberries) and a drizzle of (high quality) Balsamic vinegar. If serving this for dinner, I'll sometimes add 4 oz of steak strips.

Another favorite is to toss grilled chicken in a buffalo wing sauce, and add some low-fat blue cheese crumbles.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird, but Sweet Potato Salad is fast becoming a fave! I never liked Sweet potatoes, but that's probably because every time I ate them they were slathered with crap like on the holidays. NASTY! Here's the recipe (I got it from AARP Magazine):

Art Smith's Sweet Potato Salad

4 small sweet potatoes
    1/4 cup light miracle whip
    1 Tbsp yellow mustard
    4 celery stalks, sliced
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
    1 cup diced fresh pineapple
    2 scallions, finely chopped
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
    2 tbsp Chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Wrap sweet potatoes in foil, and bake for 1 hour. Unwrap and let cool. Peel, cut into 3/4 inch cubes.

In a large bowl, mix Miracle Whip and mustard. Add sweet potatoes, celery, red pepper, pineapple, and scallions; toss gently.

Just before serving, fold in pecans and sprinkle with chives.

Nutritional Info:
    Calories 101
    Carbs 13
    Fat 6
    Protein 2
    Calcium 3
    Sodium 119
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken, mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, reduced fat feta cheese, greek dressing. with some whole-wheat pita on the side. mmmmm.
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A handful of rocket or spinach, a little low fat mozzarella, halved baby plum tomatoes and shredded cucumber drizzled with garlic infused olive oil and black pepper. Very yummy.
  • shawnamil12
    Options
    wow those all sound good! im going to try them esp the sweet potato salad
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Anything with a LOT of components so you always have different flavors in each bite. The restaurant I work at has a great salad called the Spinnaker Chop Salad. It has:

- romaine lettuce
    - tomatoes
    - chopped bacon
    - pineapple
    - craisins
    - feta cheese
    - walnuts
    - blackberry habanero vinaigrette

It's a huge salad and soo filling. I added grilled chicken to mine and it ended up being about 400 calories or so, not bad for a filling lunch! Next time I'd leave off the bacon. Too greasy! Also, I ordered the dressing on the side (it normally comes drenched) and I ended up using only 1 oz... we normally use about 4 oz. on the salad, OIE! Definitely a calorie saver!
  • evulka21
    evulka21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am all about mixing veggies and fruits:
    spring mix
    blueberries
    strawberies
    poppyseed dressing
    optional.... caramelized pecans
    YUM!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I mix and match this most work days:
    Spinach or lettuce
    Tomato or plums or nectarine or apple
    Cucumber
    Sprouts
    Chicken, salmon or tuna
    Roasted chickpeas or hummus
    Quinoa or bulghur wheat or cous cous or mixed beans
    Avocado or cashew nuts or sliced almonds
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Endive, baby spinach,carrots cut with the peeler, cucumber diced, Fresh Salsa( instead of salad dressing), dried cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, slivered almonds. black pepper by the boatload.