Help converting this recipe, please

Options
Peanut butter cookies
1 egg
1 cup sugar, or 1 cup sugar replacement (recommended: Splenda)
1 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I love this recipe, but I want to try it with Stevia. I have liquid and powder. How do I know how much to use? Also, I"m going to try to use Almond Butter in place of the peanut butter.

Thanks!!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that the only thing you were wanting was the splenda conversion. It's on their website.

http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/conversion-charts
  • tweedamay
    Options
    No, I need to know how much Pure Via Stevia to use.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, I need to know how much Pure Via Stevia to use.

I'm not sure what Pure via Stevia is but here's a link to a Stevia conversion from sugar

http://www.stevia.net/conversion.html

If that's not it, maybe check the product's website or search?
  • tweedamay
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Stevia's super strong. I start with only a drop or two...and go by taste...it's better to add more than have it disgustingly sweet. You will need A LOT less than other sweeteners.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Since Stevia is not a one to one conversion with sugar - the texture of your cookies is going to be very different.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've made cookies like this before (in fact, just last night), and I would warn you - the sugar is not only there as a sweetener. It contributes a lot to the texture of the dough. Splenda is in a 1:1 conversion with sugar, so it substitutes without issue. However, stevia is not, and you will lose a lot of bulk by replacing sugar/splenda with stevia. You will need to add some filler to compensate for this, or they will likely be too goopy.

I will be interested if you get a good recipe with stevia. So far, I've not had any luck cooking with it, and I just stick to adding it to things like tea, oatmeal, smoothies, etc. that are not cooked/baked.
  • tweedamay
    Options
    I think I'll try with splenda first.