Do you count fruit and veggie calories?

Options
Do you count the calories of the fruits and veggies you eat? From Weight Watchers I've learned that you count the starchy veggies, like potatoes and corn and cooked carrots. But what about the raw carrots, celery and peppers you eat?
Fruits too...I know they have more sugar, but the amount I think I'd eat I don't know if it would be necessary. I'm definitely more of a veggie girl.
TIA!

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    yes, you count the calories of EVERYTHING you eat and drink, that is the point of MFP (see my post about SW and WW if you like) :flowerforyou:
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    yep log everything because in the big picture it all counts.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yes I count it all. Its still calories.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    EVERY calorie! Even watered-down juice, which I drink a lot. Even that piece of chocolate you sneak after lunch (or am I the only one? :laugh:). Every calorie counts. Plus, if you log it, it'll help you see the days that you're feeling better on fewer calories. It's good to keep track of all this stuff so you can get a handle on the bigger picture.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I count everything I eat including cough drop, veggies, fruit, condiments...it all counts......if you bite it, you write it......nothing is free :bigsmile:
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, though I often estimate, e.g., I may use an entry for "green salad" that someone already put in the database rather than itemizing everything on my plate.
  • kelfelbel
    Options
    Definitely! Everything gets logged!
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Must count EVERYTHING!!!!!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt..everything..otherwise I'd be picking all day on grapes, strawberries, carrots, cherry toms...and easily eat a whole meals worth of calories!!!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I count everything because I like to see how the veggies contribute to my fiber intake. Fruit calories/carbs add up faster than you think, too.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories are calories so count everything.

Don't worry about the natural sugar found in fruit, only be concerned about "added" and refined sugars that are listed in the ingredients. Anything that ends in "ose" (dextrose, fructose, glucose, lactose, maltose, sucrose) plus syrups, brown sugar, malt...
  • lfsulli
    lfsulli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes- the system counts the fiber and vitamins, too. I like seeing the reports, and the breakdown of protein, fiber, etc. This is a different approach than weight watchers. This counts everything and breaks it down. For example, oatmeal and avocados have high points on WW. They are great foods with tons of fiber and good fats, which reflect in these reports. WW just takes calories into account, not nutritional value.
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    The more fiber I eat, the more I lose. If I didn't count my veggies, I wouldn't know how much fiber. I try to keep it at 25 grams a day.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    even count vitamins. 2 Fish oil supplements have 2.5g of fat in them. At least mine do.
  • csg3_her
    csg3_her Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count everything because it all adds up..
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    No.

It really depends on the vegetable. If you can eat cabbage, lettuce or, spinach with just 0 calorie seasoning, you could definitely snack on it and it won't affect you in the long run. Once you get the hang of what you're doing and have a good exercise and nutrition plan in place, minor calories like that really don't matter in the big picture.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yes I count all fruit & veg.

I don't count supplements and I don't write down hot drinks, but then I primarily drink water anyway and don't take milk & sugar in coffee so it makes little difference.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I count everything I eat including cough drop, veggies, fruit, condiments...it all counts......if you bite it, you write it......nothing is free :bigsmile:

Love It!! I'm the same way. If it has a calorie in it, it gets logged.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth then I count it ... I even log my gum when I chew a piece
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Yes. A calorie is a calorie not matter whether it's in fried food or raw vegetables. In fact, eat enough raw vegetables and nothing else you would still gain weight