Fit bit flex and non-walking type exercise accuracy

Options
Hi everyone. I have a fit bit flex (and absolutely love it). However, I have started stationary bike riding and was curious how accurate the calories burned are. For instance today I biked 20 minutes, 4.9 miles. According to the bike I burned 180, and according to fitbit I burned 220 cals. I am 250lbs. I was just curious how accurate that number was since I base how much I eat on how much I burn to keep a 1000 calorie deficit. I really don't want to go above that deficit (have a greater than 1000 deficit).

Replies

• taylorjgriffiths289
    taylorjgriffiths289 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exercise machines have a formula built into them to calculate calories burnt. This formula is usually accurate for 140lb person. Because you are heavier, you actually burn more than what the machine says as you are moving more weight and have more fat to burn.
    Im not 100% sure how fitbits calculate calories burnt, but if you have entered your stts accurately, I would be looking more at that one.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My machine settings have been changed according to my weight, but I have always found them to be iffy. Fitbit uses distance, weight and time and some mathmatical magic that I have no idea about lol to come up with a number. I will go with the fit it one but maybe not eat all of those calories back unless someone has a better suggestion. Anyone else use fitbit? Do you find the non-walking portion accurate?