Do you count fruit and veggie calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yep! Log EVERYTHING! It really does make a difference... in a good way! I even log coffee and I drink it black!
  • changingmadelaine
    Options
    Yes! "Negative calories" is a myth. A calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from. Plus tracking fruits/vegetables will help with your fiber and vitamin levels as well.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    even count vitamins. 2 Fish oil supplements have 2.5g of fat in them. At least mine do.

Ah, good point!!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been counting it all. It would be easy to just not put this down or that down, but then you aren't being very accurate in your daily diary.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes! Fruit has a lot of natural sugars in it and I've found I don't lose as fast if I eat too many a day.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    yes I do I log in everything that I eat or drink.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i do. although the calories are relatively low, it all counts. plus, most of 'em help me reach my fiber goal.
  • ocdad68
    ocdad68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Counting vs Tracking

I count everything. All calories count towards weight loss. 500 cal a day = 1lb a week .. not a hard, fast rule, but it's a number I just keep in mind to help me stay on track.

However, I do not track the amounts or types of sugars (carbs). I just mentally try to be aware and keep away from the simple, refined, processed carbs.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I went in to see my doctor on the 14th of January. I mentioned that I had joined up for WW online and told her that fruits are now "free" as well as most vegetables. She was horrified! :noway:

"ALL calories count. Even fruits and vegetables!" she admonished me.

and that's how I ended up at MFP. She used this site to help her lose 85 lbs. She still logs all of her food daily.

Calorie counting has been the missing part of the equation for me. I know how to eat fairly healthfully but I was going under the assumption that I didn't have to "count" veggies or fruits.
    And I've been so frustrated that I haven't been successful at losing weight.

Now I know.
    Thank you, Dr. J.
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    I count them all.

an orange can run you about 80 calories.

I also count my multivitamins
    they are gummie vitamins and are 15 calories for 2 and I take 2 multi and 2 vitamin c = 40 cals
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why wouldn't you count them, their calories count too!
  • Adeland
    Adeland Posts: 19
    Options
    YES!! I count everything I eat!...veggies and fruit have calories too :-)
  • allisong83
    allisong83 Posts: 11
    Options
    I make my own entries that do not include the sugar. That way, it does not count against my daily sugar intake. :-)
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    Yes I count everything on here. I'm currently doing both (weight watchers and this site) for a month and I've noticed with counting all my foods on both sites at the same time is some days I have more points leftover than calories on here and MOST days I have more calories left over than points, depending on how much I exercise that day.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes! "Negative calories" is a myth. A calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from. Plus tracking fruits/vegetables will help with your fiber and vitamin levels as well.

+1
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I do
  • allisong83
    allisong83 Posts: 11
    Options
    I count them all.

they are gummie vitamins and are 15 calories for 2 and I take 2 multi and 2 vitamin c = 40 cals

FYI: You can save yourself 40 calories by just taking regular vitamins ;-)
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    I count them all.

FYI: You can save yourself 40 calories by just taking regular vitamins ;-)

I have issues with absorbtion and my doctor asks me to take chewables or gummies :[
    :[ :[

thank you though!