2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So basically an oddball I.F?
  • eksharp8
    Options
    I have lost 2.75 pounds a week on average (total 46 pounds in 4 months) eating at a small deficit to recommended number of daily calories every day (1,200 cal per day). I am only losing about 1.5 pounds a week currently. Do you think I could possibly get back to 2 - 2.5 a week with the spike diet?
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No
  • eksharp8
    Options
    I knew it was to good to be true, and I was all set to eat a large pizza tomorrow.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's not too good to be true. It's just super awesome. If you don't think that dieting (caloric deficits) affects your metabolism and hormones then you are horribly mistaken. Dieting is also a struggle mentally when you feel like you have to avoid or deprive yourself of certain foods.

If it's simply a matter of eating less and exercising more as the mainstream would tell you, then why is the mainstream getting more and more overweight every year?

Fact is, I had a lifelong struggle with obesity and now because of Spiking I don't. No only did I lose over 100lbs 10 years ago, I am getting in better shape every year.

Spiking is just flat out fun to do and you lose weight, how many other diets out there have you heard described as fun? Since it is fun you are far less likely to quit or fall of the wagon which leads to consistency and a true lifestyle change.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    It's not too good to be true. It's just super awesome. If you don't think that dieting (caloric deficits) affects your metabolism and hormones then you are horribly mistaken. Dieting is also a struggle mentally when you feel like you have to avoid or deprive yourself of certain foods.

If it's simply a matter of eating less and exercising more as the mainstream would tell you, then why is the mainstream getting more and more overweight every year?

Fact is, I had a lifelong struggle with obesity and now because of Spiking I don't. No only did I lose over 100lbs 10 years ago, I am getting in better shape every year.

Spiking is just flat out fun to do and you lose weight, how many other diets out there have you heard described as fun? Since it is fun you are far less likely to quit or fall of the wagon which leads to consistency and a true lifestyle change.

it makes sense now.. this is your own plan that you're trying to sell. Awesome. Now I actually CAN report this as spam.
  • Russellb97
    Options

it makes sense now.. this is your own plan that you're trying to sell. Awesome. Now I actually CAN report this as spam.

Well actually there's nothing for me to sell. The publisher filed bankruptcy last year and I am still working on getting rights back to my book. I've also given away hundreds of copies to my book and free advice to many many more. I am here to help who ever wants my help. I feel like i was given a gift but this is a gift that I am suppose to share. Honestly, how many do you know that grew up overweight and then were able to lose over 100lbs and keep it off for 10 years? Not only keep it off but consistently improve their physique. Then to do this while splurging on pizza, donuts, ice cream, and a lot of other junk foods on a weekly basis?

I'm sorry you feel this way, but my posts, messages, and intent are to help people who want it. I don't push them to buy anything, you can ask those who message me.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Honestly, how many do you know that grew up overweight and then were able to lose over 100lbs and keep it off for 10 years? Not only keep it off but consistently improve their physique. Then to do this while splurging on pizza, donuts, ice cream, and a lot of other junk foods on a weekly basis?
    Plenty. Eating less during the week and then more on the weekends isn't a new idea. Sorry bout your book, though.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Honestly, how many do you know that grew up overweight and then were able to lose over 100lbs and keep it off for 10 years? Not only keep it off but consistently improve their physique. Then to do this while splurging on pizza, donuts, ice cream, and a lot of other junk foods on a weekly basis?
    Plenty. Eating less during the week and then more on the weekends isn't a new idea. Sorry bout your book, though.

It's not, I know. I had known about cheat days for a long time but I was always afraid to do it. I also had the mind-set that foods like pizza and ice cream make us fat. When I first tried a Spike Day, it wasn't to help me lose weight, it was simply because I could no longer deal with my food cravings. Then when I lost a 3 pounds and broke through a plateau a few days later, I knew it had to do with that day because that was the only thing that changed from the previous 4 weeks. Then I went on to do this and lost 100lbs in 11 months.

When I talk to people today, many of them fear having a Spike Day just like I did. My book is showing you why it helps you lose weight and how you can eat anything you want and still get fit.

The book is more than just about Spiking, I didn't just simply lose 100lbs, I also built muscle and got pretty ripped in the process.
  • Arcaenah
    Arcaenah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I might be going for this without even knowing lol as a matter of fact, today would be my first spike day. Did you reach any stall or plateau while being on this kind of diet?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2.75 pounds a week on average (total 46 pounds in 4 months) eating at a small deficit to recommended number of daily calories every day (1,200 cal per day). I am only losing about 1.5 pounds a week currently. Do you think I could possibly get back to 2 - 2.5 a week with the spike diet?

Congrats on your 46 pound weight loss! losing 1.5 pounds a week is really great. Keep up the good work.
  • emack1975
    Options
    If it works for you, great! I won't be able follow that as a diabetic. I think my only treat will be dark chocolate and cinnamon. Oh, and sweet potatoes! They're pretty sweet :)
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    This doesn't work at all. The reason you all lost weight doing this is because of the 6 days that you were eating correctly and healthily, not shocking your body with one day of huge caloric intake. This is not all the right way to do it.

What's wrong with being able to enjoy things like donuts every week and losing weight? I know of a several members of MFP who lost over 100lbs spiking.

It is a similar concept to the 5:2 diet. With 5:2 you eat normally 5 days and fast for 2. At the end of the week you should be in calorie deficit. It has worked beautifully for me. I eat all the things I like but as long as I stay under the calorie max overall I still lose weight. Dr Michael Mosley believes that this style of eating does have other health benefits - it can reverse diabetes and is believed to delay the onset of Alzheimers! But mainly, the benefits are psychological because you don't ever feel like you can't ever have pizza/cake/alcohol ever again. It is an easy lifestyle to sustain over many years and means that you don't end up yo-yo-ing with your weight.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »

It's not, I know. I had known about cheat days for a long time but I was always afraid to do it. I also had the mind-set that foods like pizza and ice cream make us fat. When I first tried a Spike Day, it wasn't to help me lose weight, it was simply because I could no longer deal with my food cravings. Then when I lost a 3 pounds and broke through a plateau a few days later, I knew it had to do with that day because that was the only thing that changed from the previous 4 weeks. Then I went on to do this and lost 100lbs in 11 months.

When I talk to people today, many of them fear having a Spike Day just like I did. My book is showing you why it helps you lose weight and how you can eat anything you want and still get fit.

The book is more than just about Spiking, I didn't just simply lose 100lbs, I also built muscle and got pretty ripped in the process.

Aha, found you mr author person @Russellb97 (hope you're still active on here two and a bit years later). Sorry for bringing up an old thread everyone, but it's for a good cause...my sanity. Bought your book off Amazon (it was on special offer, sorry) as it sounded worth a look - read through it, did the calculations and I think it's telling me as a 32 year old male who weighs 146 lbs, 5 ft 5, lifts four times a week I should only eat 1600 and 1100 calories a day. I've got this horribly wrong, right? I've burnt calories hitting calculator buttons doing this again and again. I looked into this purely as something to do because I like reading up on stuff rather than seeing it as an answer I must subscribe to. But now I either want definite confirmation this isn't for me or the opposite, I suddenly need to know the answer to this question that has been troubling me since yesterday.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Russellb97 wrote: »

Aha, found you mr author person (hope you're still active on here two and a bit years later). Sorry for bringing up an old thread everyone, but it's for a good cause...my sanity. Bought your book off Amazon (it was on special offer, sorry) as it sounded worth a look - read through it, did the calculations and I think it's telling me as a 32 year old male who weighs 146 lbs, 5 ft 5, lifts four times a week I should only eat 1600 and 1100 calories a day. I've got this horribly wrong, right? I've burnt calories hitting calculator buttons doing this again and again. I looked into this purely as something to do because I like reading up on stuff rather than seeing it as an answer I must subscribe to. But now I either want definite confirmation this isn't for me or the opposite, I suddenly need to know the answer to this question that has been troubling me since yesterday.

@Scamd83 - you would probably have better luck using the notification feature. put the @ and start typing the person's name you are trying to message. It will autofill. This will give them a notification they were mentioned in a thread.

Or PM them. That is probably the easiest option.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks, edited their username into my last post accordingly. I'd PM them but I just have a thing about messaging people I don't know. I feel like I'm being intrusive, I treat people's profile like their home. Obviously I have no such qualms about clogging up a forum for everyone else by bringing up an old thread though. Sorry, I have a confusing set of standards.