Good healthy lunch from coffee shop

Options
Hi all,

I am trying to eat healthy and every day manage to come in under my calorie goals but I feel I could be eating healthier. I work in an office and so there are only the normal choices for lunch I just wondered if anyone had good suggestions for nutritious healthy lunches from places like Pret ?

Many thanks

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why not bring your own lunch in that way you have control?
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Most things in Pret are pretty good; they give you fairly decent nutritional info on the packet so you can make well-informed choices. I also think they do more interesting sandwich fillings than other similar places. What other places do you have near your office?
  • jjhall1990
    jjhall1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know I try to most mornings but about once or twice a week (like today) I was in such a rush to get out the door that I forgot it :(
  • jjhall1990
    jjhall1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most things in Pret are pretty good; they give you fairly decent nutritional info on the packet so you can make well-informed choices. I also think they do more interesting sandwich fillings than other similar places. What other places do you have near your office?

I normally go for the duck wrap or something like that in pret but that has high fat and have been struggling to budge any pounds of late although haven't put anything on so don't know if that could be the contribution ? There is pretty much everything you can think off starbucks, Sainsbury, Tesco etc etc but all selling the same quick carby things :(
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Most of the salads, soups etc - and sandwiches/wraps et al, if they fit into your goals - from Pret are fairly good, and their nutritional info is pretty comprehensive. I've found them better than EAT. Crussh and Chop'd, if you have branches near work, are also good (probably better than Pret/EAT actually) - lots of salad/soup options. Alternatively, do you have access to a fridge at work? I've found it's a good idea to have a few things on hand - soup, sliced ham or chicken, cottage cheese and crackers, for example.
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mens Health produce a book which you can buy, called Eat This Not That, it contains all the mainstream eating places even fast food joints, and always gives hints and tips. So you never feel left out. I read it and it shocked me. On what is out there and never feeling left out when everyone else is eating.

I really recomend it as a day to day eating bible when your out and about and not making your own food.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pret are very good at keeping their nutritional values up to date on their website. Look at nutritional values online first and find a couple of options that keep you within your calorie goals then see what you fancy (from your options) when you get there. Some shops don't serve all the food listed online so coming up with a 2 or 3 options will help. I usually go for the salads when I go. Be careful though - the calories on the labels in the shop don't include the dressing. I made that mistake once and bought a tuna nicoise, thinking it was 100 and something calories as that's what the label said. It's only when I got back to the office after eating and looked online to find that the dressing added another 200 and something calories!!

They do a nice salmon or chicken sushi style salad which is pretty good in terms of calories and macros.

If there is a sainsburys or tesco near your office you could always go and buy a simple side salad with some cooked chicken or tinned tuna and make your own salad. I've done that before and really simple. Usually a lot cheaper than going somewhere like Pret too.

Edit to correct spelling!