Asics?

Options
Just a question on reviews for the Asics running shoes? My foot doctor recently recommended them but when I saw some were over $100, I decided I didn't want to just jump in and buy them without really reviewing the shoe itself. I tried it on and it was really comfy for the 5 minutes I tried them. He said you have to check the insole and make sure it say's 45 or 55 (the most expensive ones of course), At the time I thought it was just the style but it's not so I'll have to ask him next time I go why he said that style only. If you have any review on them that would be super helpful! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I do like my Asics. I have learned that its better to spend money on good athletic shoes than try to get some cheapies.

It could be a personal preference for specific brand. Go to a specialty athletic shoe store and have them help you determine the right pair for you. Tell them what the doctor told you, they might be able to decode what the doctor was referring to.

Once you find something that works, watch for deals on Zulily or Amazon on older designs. I've also scored some Asics as TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i have asics, not sure what exact kind, but i love them. my feet never get hot, they are always comfy, and they still look like new after a year or so.

worth the investment imo
  • NYGiantsGirl73
    Options
    The most important thing is getting measured properly. If you are going to drop a few bucks on a good pair of running shoes (and it is completely worth it), then find a running store that will measure you and will guarantee the shoe and the fit.

Personally, I got a pair of Brooks this year and I love them.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to go to a running store and try a few different kinds on. I tend to stick with Sauconys - Asics and Brooks don't fit my feet properly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    i have asics, not sure what exact kind, but i love them. my feet never get hot, they are always comfy, and they still look like new after a year or so.

worth the investment imo

Definitely about the "like new". I have two pairs - one I wear every day and one for working out. The everyday ones I bought back in March, and yesterday when my mom saw them she said "you bought new shoes again?" I actually do need to because my toes on one foot line up weirdly and have poked holes through the lining, but to her they looked shiny and not worn.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love mine.
    I agree, go to a running store and try some on. They are expensive, but running shoes are definitely worth the cost.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! My doctor said he has like 28 pair of the Asics and they are amazing. I always have feet issues so that was his suggestion. I will definitely get to a store and see what they recommend for me.

MelRC117 - I will defiantly check out TJ Maxx and Marshalls! Thanks!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The most important thing is getting measured properly. If you are going to drop a few bucks on a good pair of running shoes (and it is completely worth it), then find a running store that will measure you and will guarantee the shoe and the fit.

I agree with this. There are a lot of factors that will determine which shoe is best... pronation, arch, etc.. I found since i pronate and have flat feet, that I needed a support shoe. I am on my 3rd pair of Brooks and couldn't be happier. The asics I tried didn't feel too well and didn't provide the same amount of support that Brooks did.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have the Asics Gel Cumulus 15's and love them! I went to a running store and had my gait etc... analyzed and these were recommended. I love how they hug my heel nicely and my feet don't get too hot.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I always get the model from 1-2 years ago on Amazon for around $80.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i wear gel kayano 20's as the fit and support is just right for me. But they could be awful for someone else.
    Big fan of the kayano range.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just a question on reviews for the Asics running shoes? My foot doctor recently recommended them but when I saw some were over $100, I decided I didn't want to just jump in and buy them without really reviewing the shoe itself. I tried it on and it was really comfy for the 5 minutes I tried them. He said you have to check the insole and make sure it say's 45 or 55 (the most expensive ones of course), At the time I thought it was just the style but it's not so I'll have to ask him next time I go why he said that style only. If you have any review on them that would be super helpful! Thanks in advance!
    The thing is a shoe that's good for me may not be good for you. I have one pair along with other brands they run well but I'm moving away from them due to finding them heavy and the mesh on the toe box seems to break down easily.

Has he measured your gait? What are your specific problems? I'd be questioning him recommending a specific brand over a specific type of shoe. I'd want to know what are the problems he's trying to correct.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump to learn. Thanks
  • kellyp1886
    kellyp1886 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to buy Kayanos as well and they were great shoes. I have however gone to buying the cheaper ones after reading an article on Runners World about how people who spend more money on shoes actually have a higher rate of injuries. I talked with my trainer about this and he thinks it's because they probably run more as well. I don't know if that is true or not, but I can't tell the difference between the kayanos and the similar versions that are much cheaper. I do stick to Asics though.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics, but now I have Saucony....I always try other brands and then migrate back to Saucony, as they feel best for my shape foot and running style. Get evaluated and save money by getting the correct type from the start. Forget the brand, as one other poster said, get fitted for the TYPE of shoe you need.

I also have a pair of New Balance Mimimalist Vibram shoes I jump rope and cross train in..they're phenomenal, as well.
  • BDWhite72
    BDWhite72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of support you need. I have plantar fasciitis, so I need stability shoes. I wear Asics to train, I like a snug shoe in the gym and Asics has a few good models that are considered stability shoes. I wear GT 2000 to train and I buy them online for $80-100. I wear Brooks to run because they are also good stability shoes but have a roomier toe box. Hope that helps some!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you will use them for. If you need shoes for general gym use you may be able to go for a cheaper pair. If, however, you plan on running (road or treadmill) I would definitely suggest you investing in a quality pair of shoes. £100+ sounds a lot but it's definitely worth the investment. It is equally important you purchase the correct shoe for your running style. Most good running shops will offer gait analysis. They basically film you running in a 'neutral' shoe and assess whether you need any additional or less support. You will either be a neutral runner, overpronate (foot rolls inwards - also known as flat footed) or underpronate (foot rolls outwards - high arch). When you know this you will be able to buy a pair of shoes that offer the best support for you. So important to wear the correct shoes to prevent injury.

I overpronate, but for a long time I wore shoes for neutral runners (without realising). After a while I suffered with sore ankles and knees and shin splints. I had gait analysis done and bought a pair of shoes (Asics) that offered me the support I needed. I have had no problems. I bought Asics purely because they fitted me best.

Most brands fit differently - for example, Adidas shoes are very narrow and tight fitting (I find), whereas Asics and Nike are wider. Try on a few pairs and see what you're happy with.

Most good running shops will actually let you try the shoe out for a while, encouraging you to go out running - you never really know how a shoe will fit until you actually wear it for a while. If it isn't right you can take it back no questions asked (provided you do it within the specified period). You could risk buying them online but if you have worn them and they don't fit right you won't be able to get a refund - unless you get your scrubbing brush out and make them look new again!

Regarding Asics - they have worked very well for me. They aren't cheap but think of it as an investment.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    _XARDOZ_ I have minor issue's nothing big, a bunion (I will eventually need surgery for it) It's not BAD yet for surgery but enough to bother me when walking. I am definitely not a runner (maybe someday after my surgery) but he said it's like this amazing shoe that will help with the pain and I will never take them off.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I agree with this. There are a lot of factors that will determine which shoe is best... pronation, arch, etc.. I found since i pronate and have flat feet, that I needed a support shoe. I am on my 3rd pair of Brooks and couldn't be happier. The asics I tried didn't feel too well and didn't provide the same amount of support that Brooks did.

Definitely get fitted. I started out in Brooks and I've made the switch to Asics because they work better for me. But that doesn't mean they will work better for you.
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my asics. I know that they can be more expensive but when you have a pair of shoes that really fit your feet, it makes a world of difference. Look on eBay, they have really good deals.