Setting goals for weight lifting after plateau/boredom

Options
I have kind of hit a plateau with my weight lifting. I've been doing it for about 8 months now and I definitely feel like I'm not able to add more weight each week like I used to. I have also found that I'm experiencing more aches and pains related to ligament issues, especially in my wrists. And honestly, I feel kind of bored and uninspired as a result.

For the first three months I used machines and lifted heavy, adding weight each week. Then I joined a different gym and have been working with a trainer and do mostly free weights. He has me doing mostly higher reps than I used to do (15-20) and lighter weights (but still heavy). I have a lot more definition in my arms and back now. He also has me splitting my routines, so instead of doing two lower and two upper body workouts per week, I am doing 1 lower body, 1 tricep and chest, 1 bicep and back, and 1 shoulders and abs workout. The theory is that it is supposed to help me work out each muscle group harder. It doesn't feel that way, to be honest.

Soooooo, I feel like I need to create some new goals for weight lifting to stay motivated. I also realized I should probably have goals so that I can plan my training around.

Is there a difference in approach between getting stronger and getting more defined? I want both, but like the idea of progressing in some way, and getting stronger seems like a clear way to progress.

I have also been spinning 4 times per week and doing 1-2 other days of cardio. The spinning is pretty intense and I wonder if this is contributing to my fatigue when lifting (and some of the writst issues)?

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It's normal to stop making gains every single workout after a few months, especially if you weren't training before. When you first start a program, you're learning new moves and using muscles well below capacity so it's easy to increase the weights and recover from your workout completely by the time you repeat the workout. After a while, however, you'll start to close in on your muscle's capacity to work and to recover in time for the next workout. And since you're not completely recovered, you won't make any kind of progress and you might even lose some gains. When you reach this point, you need to periodize your training. That means instead of making each workout heavier or more intense than the last one, you make every third workout heavier and more intense. You'll have a light day, a medium day, and a heavy day. This is standard protocol for just about all types of strength and conditioning. That should get you back on track. Keep in mind that training stimulates your muscles to get stronger, but the muscles only get stronger after the workout so long as they adequate rest and nutrition.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's normal to slow down in increasing weight after awhile. generally speaking once you reach that point, that's when the true strength training begins :wink: what most people end up doing is switch to something like a 3*5 or 5/3/1 rep/set in order to continue work on building strength. i also like the periodization day and do something similar since i'm eating a fairly large deficit (and i'm kinda long in the tooth :laugh: ), i honestly can't do 3 days of workouts where i'm working at 80% or more of my 1 RM

also it's good to take a week or so off lifting to give your joins, ligaments and connective tissue a chance to really recover.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights off and on for 30 years and have gone through TONS of plateaus. I have found something that works but it's very hard for me to do. I take 1 or 2 weeks OFF from all lifting. I do light cardio, stretching, yoga, Pilates but NO lifting.

After the break of 7 to 14 days I come back with a NEW / Different Lifting routine. I workout at a well stocked gym so there are lots of barbells, dumbells, benches and machines to choose from. This always gets me back on track.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! Glad to know what I'm experiencing is normal! I have been afraid to take off time but it sounds like that will help me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to create some new goals for weight lifting to stay motivated. I also realized I should probably have goals so that I can plan my training around.

Even very general goals can help in program design, so the above is a good idea.
    Is there a difference in approach between getting stronger and getting more defined? I want both, but like the idea of progressing in some way, and getting stronger seems like a clear way to progress.

Getting more defined primarily means losing body-fat. Getting larger muscles will also make them appear more defined (provided you're not adding fat), so the combination of muscle growth and fat loss will impact this.

Getting stronger has a big neurological component. While your 20 rep sets can certainly add some strength, it's not the route I'd go for that goal because it's much harder to increase loading.

Generally I don't like the idea of high volume lower load training done infrequently. You're not likely training each body-part frequently enough and you're also not likely to be able to increase loading at a reasonable pace at that high of a rep range. For example, adding 5lbs to a lift done in a 5 rep set is a smaller total poundage increase compared to a 20 rep set where you add 5lbs.
    I have also been spinning 4 times per week and doing 1-2 other days of cardio. The spinning is pretty intense and I wonder if this is contributing to my fatigue when lifting (and some of the writst issues)?

Total activity can be a factor, calories and macronutrient intake can be a factor, sleep can be a factor, you could just simply need to take a break, you could have a particular movement in your program that is aggravating your wrist...
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Essentially you have found out something that is frequently ignored in the mass powerlifting culture, and that is the fact that you can develop your muscular strength much faster than your connective tissue. A lot of this has to so with the fact that connective tissue doesn't have as much blood flow as the muscles, and so they recover much slower. There is less total cellular turnover. So at the end of the day, you can grow your muscles to a point that your joints can't handle it.

So here's another option that comes from the bodyweight training/gymnastics world. It's called SSC (Steady State Cycle). What you do is pick a weight that is difficult for you, but that you can lift with good technique for the number of sets and reps you want. You then keep the EXACT same weight/reps/sets for 12 weeks. That's right, no linear progression, etc. You will go through three primary phases of adaption: overload, load, and deload. What this will feel like is that when you first start, the weight will be hard, then it will seem not too hard and you'll really enjoy the workout, and then it will become easy, at which point you will struggle to resist the urge to add more weight, but you must not. This is where your body is repairing, and you are getting ready to go to the next cycle. But once you finish the 12 weeks, you're not going to just move up 5 pounds on your lifts, your going to find that you are significantly stronger. I would retest your maxes, and then pick a new weight that again is going to be very challenging but that you can lift with good form for your number of sets and reps.

This method isn't sexy since you aren't making constant "gains", even though you are. Mentally it's tough, because once you feel that you have gotten stronger, you'll want to skip ahead, which defeats the purpose of this type of training. And let's face it, 12 weeks is a long time in today's culture, especially with people who want to max out every workout.

Anyway, if you think about it, your body is talking to you right now. It's saying, "My joints hurt, please don't make me lift even more weight right now until I've had a chance to recover and heal, and if you do, try, I'm going to push back and not let you anyway, I'm taking a break (plateauing)".
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Essentially you have found out something that is frequently ignored in the mass powerlifting culture, and that is the fact that you can develop your muscular strength much faster than your connective tissue. A lot of this has to so with the fact that connective tissue doesn't have as much blood flow as the muscles, and so they recover much slower. There is less total cellular turnover. So at the end of the day, you can grow your muscles to a point that your joints can't handle it.

So here's another option that comes from the bodyweight training/gymnastics world. It's called SSC (Steady State Cycle). What you do is pick a weight that is difficult for you, but that you can lift with good technique for the number of sets and reps you want. You then keep the EXACT same weight/reps/sets for 12 weeks. That's right, no linear progression, etc. You will go through three primary phases of adaption: overload, load, and deload. What this will feel like is that when you first start, the weight will be hard, then it will seem not too hard and you'll really enjoy the workout, and then it will become easy, at which point you will struggle to resist the urge to add more weight, but you must not. This is where your body is repairing, and you are getting ready to go to the next cycle. But once you finish the 12 weeks, you're not going to just move up 5 pounds on your lifts, your going to find that you are significantly stronger. I would retest your maxes, and then pick a new weight that again is going to be very challenging but that you can lift with good form for your number of sets and reps.

This method isn't sexy since you aren't making constant "gains", even though you are. Mentally it's tough, because once you feel that you have gotten stronger, you'll want to skip ahead, which defeats the purpose of this type of training. And let's face it, 12 weeks is a long time in today's culture, especially with people who want to max out every workout.

Anyway, if you think about it, your body is talking to you right now. It's saying, "My joints hurt, please don't make me lift even more weight right now until I've had a chance to recover and heal, and if you do, try, I'm going to push back and not let you anyway, I'm taking a break (plateauing)".
    This progression makes soo much sense to me. I may give it a run when I hit my next wall!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

This is brilliant and so incredibly helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you! All of my issues DO seem to be related to connective tissue. I am definitely willing to try the 12 week program. Selling it to my trainer might be an issue, but I'll show him this post. Anyway, he's not the boss of me!

I can also focus on losing my last 20-30 lbs. Now that the summer is over (and the BBQ's, parties, vacations, etc.) I want to refocus on cutting down my body fat % so I can better see the hard work I've put in at the gym! I'm hoping weighing less will allow me to start running again without getting injured.

Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    I'm glad you both found the concept thought provoking. :)