Popping popcorn...

Options
I read somewhere that you can put popcorn in a brown paper bag to air pop it in the microwave. I plan to buy an air popper next time I'm out, but do you know if this works?

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We used to do that, but I also did some on the stove with just a stock pot and kept the lid tight and it popped pretty good with no oil.
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i use an air popper and i LOVE it. definitely worth the buy. i've had mine for two weeks and i've already got my money's worth out of it :]
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried popping corn in the microwave once and it was a disaster!
    Air popping is the way to go!
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can pop popcorn in a brown bag in the microwave without oil. It's a little drier than an air popper in my opinion but it works in a pinch.

I use a brown lunch bag and add 2-3 tablespoons of popcorn. Fold over the top of the bag, it will stay closed. I start with 5 minutes on microwave but it won't take that long. I listen for the popping to slow just like you do microwave popcorn that you buy in the store.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use the brown paper bag/microwave method! Worked great for me, but you need to figure out how long to pop, so nothing starts to burn. For 1/4 cup of popcorn, I would m'wave for 2'. Good luck!
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great to know :D
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I find it's easier to add salt and get it to stick with the brown paper bag than the air popper. It does seem easier to burn than regular microwave popcorn bags, so I have to really listen. And you can't make huge batches. I have an air popper, but if I'm only making a serving for myself, I use the brown paper bag.