Confusion over Tea and Coffee Calories - Help Pls!?!?

Options
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone can help me with this, i drink a lot of coffee Douwe Egberts Gold Instant that when i have googled nutrition found out its 2 calories per serving but then when i add the milk im told its 48 calories so i have been entering 50 cal per cup that i have .... the problem is i drink that much of it a day (and im being honest with my diary) but it takes up a huge amount of my daily intake 1200.

But ...... if i go to put tea in, the auto suggestion on MFP for tetley with milk is only 13 calories

This is where im confused because surely i am only using slightly more milk in coffee that i would use for tea, so which is right and which is wrong??

Its affecting my weightloss to be honest as im cutting back on food as i cant quite give up the coffee just yet just to stay within the 1200 mark. i know im fighting against my body at the moment and its just going to mess things up??

pls can anyone help?

Becky

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yeah I always wonder about my coffee entry because I don't know if MFP overestimates how much milk I use. What I would do (and will do too) is figure out the cals in the ingredients - measure out how much milk you put and figure out the cals, do the same for sugar, and then you can make your own custom coffee entry.
  • bexywoza
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, i did just that - measured the amount of milk i would normally use, and it was about 80ml so ive googled this and found this site, so yeah it is 48 calories ;-((

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/eggs_dairy.htm

I still dont understand how MFP can only give 13 calories for tea - tetley tea with milk was in the auto calculator .. It remains a mystery to me!

Becky
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Measure your milk and add it in your diary separately. That's what I do. I use 1/4 cup of 1% each cup and I log it accordingly.

(I actually measured in exactly the first time and I eyeball it now.)
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, i did just that - measured the amount of milk i would normally use, and it was about 80ml so ive googled this and found this site, so yeah it is 48 calories ;-((

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/eggs_dairy.htm

I still dont understand how MFP can only give 13 calories for tea - tetley tea with milk was in the auto calculator .. It remains a mystery to me!

Becky

Someone could have entered that in the food database incorrectly (or as they use it - a T. of milk). I always look to see how many confirmations each food item has when I enter it.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and add creamer- and i always do it separately.
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I used to drink alot of coffee, I had a similar problem with the calories effecting my weight loss. I started drinking a little bit of black coffee before putting creamer in it, and eventually grew to like it. Now I drink black coffee when I drink coffee. It changed my coffee preference too, because creamer could make any coffee taste good. Now I am particular about the taste of the coffee, but still enjoy it once and awhile.
    Good luck on your journey!