Help! Need a good cole slaw recipe!

Options
I'm making BBQ for dinner and would love to have a good cole slaw recipe that won't pack on the calories!

Replies

• reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bumping because i'd love one as well!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Restaurant-Slaw/Detail.aspx

This is the recipe I use at all my parties. It is always the first thing completely GONE, and everyone LOVES it! :)

(I never use the poppy seeds though!)
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't know how you like your coleslaw but this is what I do.

2 cups red cabbage,
    2cups green cabbage
    1 carrot grated
    1 red pepper slivered
    1 yellow pepper slivered
    1 green onion chopped
    4 TBS minced parsley
    1/4 lemon juice
    3 TBS water
    1 TBS EVOO
    2 tsp dried chili pepper
    splash of Braggs

In a bowl combine all the ingredients. Toss and let stand for half an hour before serving.
  • brwneyedgrl67
    brwneyedgrl67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the cole slaw recipe I use: 1 med. head of cabbage shredded, 1/2 cup sugar or substitute, 1/4 cup white vinegar & 1 cup light mayonaise!! Enjoy!!!
  • newcomba
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to try the first recipe...what does the poppy seed do? I saw someone who posted about the recipe used celery seed instead of poppy seed...do you think that would be a good substitute?
  • grumpyswife123
    Options
    bump
  • candorandson
    Options
    Depending on how much you want to make at once, I make only a 1/2 head cabbage at a time so it stays fresh longer.

1/2 head cabbage finely shredded
    1/2-3/4 cup light mayo
    1-2T lemon juice
    2tsp Splenda
    1tsp celery seed

We love it...adjust the lemon juice/mayo consistency to your liking and tastes. =)
  • candorandson
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to try the first recipe...what does the poppy seed do? I saw someone who posted about the recipe used celery seed instead of poppy seed...do you think that would be a good substitute?
    Celery seed makes a HUGE difference! I didn't think it would but it does.
  • surra
    surra Posts: 33
    Options
    We love to make a broccoli slaw. It's delicious! We buy the pre-bagged broccoli slaw (usually by the bags of lettuce), then I buy a jar of the either low fat or non fat slaw dressing, a red crunchy apple and cilantro. Dump the slaw into a bowl, chop up the apple in little pieces, dice up the cilantro, then add dressing till it's lightly coated. I don't have any actual measurements, just add this it looks proportioned correctly. I'm not a big slaw fan and I LOVE this. Sometimes we'll also put in a little lime juice to the mix.
  • newcomba
    Options
    Depending on how much you want to make at once, I make only a 1/2 head cabbage at a time so it stays fresh longer.

1/2 head cabbage finely shredded
    1/2-3/4 cup light mayo
    1-2T lemon juice
    2tsp Splenda
    1tsp celery seed

We love it...adjust the lemon juice/mayo consistency to your liking and tastes. =)

Thanks for this one...I definitely would have used it...the recipe I went with was good, but it called for 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and I could have gone without that.
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Here's one from Hungry Girl.

I Heart Apple Slaw

PER SERVING (about 1 cup): 59 calories, <0.5g fat, 29.5mg sodium, 13g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 10g sugars, 2g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 1*
    Eating your fruits AND veggies at the same time? Look at you, healthy-pants!

Ingredients:
    1 medium Fuji apple
    1 medium Granny Smith apple
    2 cups dry broccoli cole slaw mix
    1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/2 tbsp. honey
    3/4 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    Directions:
    Cut both apples into matchstick-sized strips and place in a large bowl. Add slaw mix to the bowl. Toss well and set aside.
    In a small bowl, combine yogurt, honey, and Splenda until mixed well. Pour into the large bowl and stir until apple strips and slaw mix are thoroughly coated. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Store in the fridge until ready to serve. YUM!
    MAKES 5 SERVINGS
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump! Been looking for one forever!!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Here's the one I made recently. Since I live alone, I use the bagged veggies for portion-convenience. Makes about 7 servings.

Publix - Coleslaw (Mix), 1 container (7.5 cups ea.)
    Apple Cider Vinegar, 4 Tbsp.
    Sun Crystals Granulated Blend, 3 tsp
    Kraft - Miracle Whip- Fat Free, 4 tablespoon
    Diamond Crystal - Kosher Salt 1/4 tsp (0.7g)
    Spices - Pepper, black, 1/4 tsp

Per Serving:
    25 calories
    6g carbs
    0g fat
    1g fiber
    1g protein
    117mg sodium

I like the flavor of Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, but you can use either/or depending on taste. This recipe also goes good with a pinch of celery seed.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    my DH and my favorite slaw recipe is from Hungry Girl - Slaw & Order (http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/pasta-la-vista-slaw-and-order-recipe)

PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, 1 heaping cup): 148 calories, 3g fat, 610mg sodium, 24.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 8g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

Prep: 5 minutes
    Cook: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

One 12-oz. bag (4 cups) dry broccoli cole slaw
    1 cup low-fat creamy tomato soup (like Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque) or canned crushed tomatoes
    1 tsp. chopped garlic, or more to taste
    Dash onion powder, or more to taste
    Dash each salt and black pepper, or more to taste
    Dash crushed red pepper, or more to taste
    3 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping, divided

Directions:

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add slaw and 1/4 cup water. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has evaporated and slaw has softened slightly, about 5 - 8 minutes.

Add soup/tomatoes, garlic, spices, and 2 tbsp. grated topping. Stir and continue to cook until hot, about 3 - 4 minutes.

Season to taste with additional spices, if you like. Top with remaining 1 tbsp. grated topping. Enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS