Smartphone running apps

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
Hi all, which app do you use for running? I was using RunDouble which was great when I was doing the C25K but I've progressed into my own program and RunDouble just doesn't cut it. I'd really like something that has the option to announce miles (RunDouble only tells you when you are half way and only has a few pre-set distances for fun runs) OR lets you program a custom distance to run. Bonus points if it's free, but I'd pay for something that works really well. Android.

Thanks!

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi all, which app do you use for running? I was using RunDouble which was great when I was doing the C25K but I've progressed into my own program and RunDouble just doesn't cut it. I'd really like something that has the option to announce miles (RunDouble only tells you when you are half way and only has a few pre-set distances for fun runs) OR lets you program a custom distance to run. Bonus points if it's free, but I'd pay for something that works really well. Android.

Thanks!

Runkeeper is free I have it announce every km and every 5 minutes you can program it to miles and no time if you like.

I has an pay for upgrade but I haven't done that as I don't really need it.
  • danielssmith
    danielssmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Endomondo. I've tried a few but keep coming back to this.
  • DETarch
    DETarch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun. It's free, you can set voice reminders at whatever interval you choose (e.g. every mile it tells you total time, pace, split pace, etc.). It can also sync with MyFitnessPal and log workouts automatically, which is awesome. You can pre-plan routes beforehand and then use it as "navigation" during a run or bike ride.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Ditto.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is the best one that I have used. Once you get it set up, you can set your own routes online, and then choose the route that you are running for the day, as well as what playlist to play as you are running, and set it to announce whatever you want, as often as you want, based on time or distance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Runtastic for me but Runkeeper is used a lot. If you like whatever you get it will probably be a good idea to get the paid version. They tend to cobble something if you don't. It also helps me decide when I need new shoes. I can go into my log to see how many miles I have on them from date of purchase.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For fun running I use 'Zombies, Run!' You can download the app and try it for free (I think - might be 5 dollars), but have to pay to access the series. Right now it has 3 seasons of runs (I think there are approximately 30 runs per season), it has race runs and a few other fun things. It puts you in a scenario where you're a runner for a town after the zombie apocolypse. I love it - its neat to listen to and be part of the story line. It can be set to track kilometers as well as miles, and will tell you at each mile/kilometer how far you've run and the time you've taken to run the distance. It also keeps track of your runs and distance and at the end of the run, will tell you your overall pace. For now, its all I've been using to track runs (aside from my Jawbone Up). Once I'm through the three seasons, I'll probably switch to Endomondo or Runtastic, if I don't repeat the episodes of Zombies, Run.
  • chetvr
    chetvr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+. It announces every mile, tracks with GPS, and it's free. It syncs with it's site to keep stats for the day, week, month, years and includes your times and also how many miles on your running shoes. You can add friends, set up challenges, and link to FB if that's something you want to do.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are several options that all do basically the same thing. It comes down to personal preference (just take note of how many "I like ..." comments accompany all of these types of threads) on the interface, free vs pay options, challenges/contests, shoe mileage tracking, how much of a data geek you are, auto sync with MFP, etc.

In no particular order and in no way all inclusive (full disclosure, I have four out of the following apps on my phone, accounts with five of them ... and have my data populated to each of them) :
    Runkeeper
    Endomondo
    MapMyRun
    Strava
    Runtastic
    Digifit

Try the free versions, see which one(s) you like best. Pick one and go run.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun. It notifies you of the pace every mile. I believe if you becoming a paying member, you can get the info every half mile. I really like their site... easy to review the elevation, distance, courses later on. I don't have too much experience with any other running app, as I've just been happy w MapMyRun. I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5).
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+. It announces every mile, tracks with GPS, and it's free. It syncs with it's site to keep stats for the day, week, month, years and includes your times and also how many miles on your running shoes. You can add friends, set up challenges, and link to FB if that's something you want to do.

Me too, love Nike+
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love runkeeper! It's free, it has options to announce various things; Pace, Distance, Time etc. and the GPS is very, very accurate.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun. It notifies you of the pace every mile. I believe if you becoming a paying member, you can get the info every half mile. I really like their site... easy to review the elevation, distance, courses later on. I don't have too much experience with any other running app, as I've just been happy w MapMyRun.
    Same here.

Looove it! And it;s not just for running, you can switch to walking, biking, hiking, etc!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love runkeeper! It's free, it has options to announce various things; Pace, Distance, Time etc. and the GPS is very, very accurate.

Me too. I've used Runtastic and like that too, but I've found that Runkeeper's GPS is more accurate.
  • brneyedgirl73
    brneyedgirl73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using Runtastic 4 months ago and love it!
  • Warren_Abrey
    Warren_Abrey Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Ditto.

Same
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I like Nike+Run as well. You can also play your music list if you like. And although I haven't used it, you can apparently get cheers during your run when you link it to Facebook. I've tried others, but I always go back to Nike+Run
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi all, which app do you use for running?

There are about 5 main options, plus a slack handful of other apps with much lower market penetration. The most popular have cross application integration, social functionality and embedded training plans:

Strava - Used by the more hardcore, very deep analysis functionality and extensive competition amongst users; segments, groups, regular challenges etc. I find this most acurate on the phone but the premium subscription is quite pricey for the casual user.

Endomondo - Good analysis tools on the website, generally solid GPS exploitation although the calorie extimations do appear to be higher. Social integration is good and the training plans are the better of those available as they can be modified and tailored. Premium version is quite reasonably priced

Runkeeper - Good social functionality and solid tracking, although they have had some issues around software upgrades with performance issues. Haven't seen that in a year when I've been on Android but it used to hit a little with iPhone. Premium version is reasonably priced

Runtastic - Adequate, but I've found serious battery drain issues and the upselling to add ons is aggressive. This is really a portfolio of apps for different activities, so I'm less keen from that perspective. Premium pricing is quite complex and becomes quite expensive.

MapMyFitness - Again a portfolio of apps tailored to different activities. Personally I've never found it worked well for me, with website synch issues quite regularly.

I'm not keen on the latter two, tending to use Endomondo training plans alongside Strava at the moment. I have a lot of history in Runkeeper so keep that going as well.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I was using MapMyFitness, which I really like; it announces each km, the time and my pace. I recently bought a Vivofit with HRM, so I'm using the Garmin Connect / Garmin Fit apps and it syncs automatically, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as MapMyFitness as it doesn't announce anything. Still syncs well with MFP (as does MapMyFitness) but I miss the audio updates.