Obese? Walk or Eat My Dust!

Options
I see a lot of challenges here and I would like to present one that I hope will work for many. This should be a great challenge for anyone that is obese, as I am, and feels that exercise is just too hard. A challenge that I believe most people can accomplish despite their fitness level. The challenge is to walk daily.

My husband recently lost all his weight by walking every day and eating sensibly. I plan to do the same. My plan is to walk and blog about it, every day until I reach my goal. My hope is that I can be encouraged and perhaps help encourage anyone else along the way.

I hope you will consider this challenge and take it! Check out my blog and WALK WITH ME!
My first official post after walking will begin tomorrow.

Adair2bthin

Replies

• Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your challenge. I think that its a great start.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I decided to start walking 3 times a week. I would like to eventually get up to a 15 minute mile, so I can walk in the Princess Half Marathon at Walt Disney World. Keep it up!
  • Nycky
    Nycky Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I will join you on your challenge! I need some motivation to walk everyday and I reckon we can do it together :happy:

I have 51 kilos to lose (112 pounds)
  • adair2bthin
    adair2bthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Let's do it - that's what I was hoping to hear!

I started with 125 lbs to loose and have lost 22 so we can loose this last extra person together! Thanks and look forward to walking and talking with you.
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Anyone else up for a walk?
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Walk with me - Day 1
  • Nycky
    Options
    I think we are in different time zones but I went for a walk yesterday and will be dumping the kids on their daddy for my walk this afternoon!

Yesterday (wednesday) I walked 4.4kms according to my Navman!!! Wow it didn't feel like it!!!
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Yes we are - I am EST. Great walking! I am only up to 2 - 2.5 miles but feel like I can begin going a little further. My husband started at 2 miles and by the end would sometimes walk 5 - 6 a day. He lost 60 lbs in 7.5 months and has kept it off. Watching what he ate and walking like crazy!
  • Nycky
    Options
    How are you going with your walking?

I went for my walk last night, on my own this time and did 4.5kms in 45 minutes!!!

I am so so proud of myself right now :happy: Didn't think I could do it but kept chanting "calories calories calories" to myself as I was pounding the pavement and wanting to give up!
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    That is cool - I am just at 2 miles at a good pace but hope to increase that a little each week. It is so funny that you chant - I do too! My parents are taking us on a great trip in May so that is what i am chanting about now - LOL:laugh: Sounds like you really have the walking down. How long have you been doing it on a regular basis?
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Group Encouragement! Let's walk and talk together! The more of us that walk and post a message, the better the chance of someone being encouraged!

Please check out my blog and leave me some feedback. (although some how I had to re-enter Day 2 in Day 3. I am going to double check that my post posts from now on.)
  • pattybutterflybaby
    Options
    This is amazing. I am joining it. Sorry for a day or two late, hope it won't be too late for joining =] I don't really know how much I walk in a day but from now on I will walk during a day time at university. No more taking a short cut or an elevator. I wouldn't know how much i walk in a day until i get to buy the pedometer, but until then. Thanks for creating a wonderful support group by the way.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    90% of my excercise is walking! 5% is jogging and other 5% is weights @ the gym. for those that have a Android based smartphone you can download a free app. either Runkeeper or Cardio Trainer. both use the smartphone's GPS. it tracks your distance covered, pace and calories burned. it's not as accurate as a HRM but gives you a good idea. I have used Cardio Trainer since Dec '09 and have logged in 183 miles! great little app and it's free!
  • pattybutterflybaby
    Options
    Hmm, i only have ipod touch, i doubt they have any of that app on. =/ How sad.
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Great! Whatever it takes as long as we can get the walking in. I am adding a few other things like free weights and perhaps the occasional bike. I know as I get more fit and weigh less I will feel like doing more.

As far as distance my husband mapped off 1 mile and he counted how many steps it took for him to walk it. Then when he would mix up his route - as long as he counted he knew about how far he walked. Of course the pedometer is a cheap and easy to use.
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    Walk with me- WWM Challenge! Do we have any more walkers? How is everyone doing?
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    WWM Challenge- Day 4 - My husband lost all his weight (55-60lbs) by walking and eating right. He did it in 6 months. I have more to lose and know it will take me longer but I am determined to do the same. Hope you can join in on the Walk With Me (WWM) Challenge and change your life like I am changing mine. To help keep me motivated I am blogging about it each day!
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    my 'o' sticks :laugh:
  • adair2bthin
    Options
    I know big football day! Sure to be lots of football party food around.
    All the more reason to get that walk in
    - who is walking today?
  • plumpalicious
    Options
    I'll walk with you. I started a few days ago but only just saw your thread....

I started off at 291lbs then had a gastric bypass to lose the excess weight and my diabetes. However the last couple of months i've sat back on my butt and waited for weight to shift whilst picking up a bad habit of 'have it' (food). I've now realised i need to watch what i eat and also move, so for two days last week i had 2 x 40 minutes with husband and the dog. Today i've blasted that record and done 5 miles of hills and dales, climbed over stys and was walking for 2 hours 20 minutes. I now weigh in at around 231 and want to get down to between 151 - 168 lb... Move it to lose it is my motto now... Good luck everyone x