Chia seeds.

Options
I recently bought a huge tub of chia seeds to help boost my fiber intake. So far I've only put them in some yogurt, which gave it a neat consistency and texture.

I'm thinking it would be a good garnish on a salad, but I'd like to get some ideas. Thanks. :)

Replies

• kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Very versatile. Mostly, I use them as an egg substitute while baking or in salads. But I've also just added them to normal dishes, like scrambled eggs, not as a substitute or anything but just as a little extra "umph."
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    my stepdad loves chia seeds... he uses them for all kinds of things.

-breading for fish
    -meatballs
    - adds them to jams/jellies
    -pancakes

and he always adds them to his smoothies
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I put them in my kale smoothie. I just bought them for the first time, I've heard you can put them in almost anything but haven't tried much yet. I have had them in yogurt also, will be interested in what other people put them in
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like adding them in my vanilla protein shakes with spinach and berries.
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Breading for fish!? I would have NEVER thought of that! Does he use just the seeds or with another ingredient?
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I put them in soup, helps thicken the broth.

I add them to my homemade bread, adds a neat crunch.

I also like to grind them into my veggie juice.
  • weeto1
    weeto1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've used them for a few months now with great results. Apart from the protein and other nutritional benefits, they give me energy and keep me regular!

Noting that they are virtually tasteless, I use anything from a sprinkle to a spoonful at any opportunity, which have included:

- On cereal, porridge
    - In scrambled egg or mashed up boiled egg
    - On salads
    - In yoghurts / creme fraiche
    - On pasta dishes, chilli con carne, curries etc etc

You can apparently just swallow them on their own, but I prefer to eat them with something with a good moisture content. They can also get stuck in your teeth, providing an ideal micro-snack between meals :wink:

Remember that once wet, chia seeds expand (good because it makes you feel fuller) but if used in cakes/breads etc., you have to be aware as they draw moisture.

Enjoy!
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good ideas -esp. from sarah sedai, never thought to put them on fish or in meatballs (Going to try that one or in meatloaf)I , like others, put them in smoothies. But also like Sarah's stepdad, pancakes. They are quite versatile like Kristen said. I also put them in salads ,oatmeal, muffins/ breads, cottage cheese and fruit, And like u , yogurt. I'm sure they would be good w/ tuna or chicken salad too. Experiment and post if you find a different way you like to use them.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal.
    I make chia pudding with them.
    I put them in smoothies.
    I add them to yogurt.
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So many fantastic ideas!! Thank you all!

I'm now off to learn about chia pudding!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Breading for fish!? I would have NEVER thought of that! Does he use just the seeds or with another ingredient?

he mixes whole seeds with cornmeal, which i liked cause of the crunchiness of the seeds but i'm sure you could just grind up the chia and use only that with - and of course add whatever special seasonings you'd like! i'm a fan of garlic powder ;)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I just put a couple of TBS in 8 oz of water and let them gel up and drink it 30 mins before my long runs...
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just put a couple of TBS in 8 oz of water and let them gel up and drink it 30 mins before my long runs...

i used to do something similar... 3-4T of chia seeds in about 6oz of coffee with a little bit of chocolate liquid stevia added. let them gel up, and eat that as a breakfast cereal/pudding.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of them in oatmeal, I put a whole tablespoon in the heart healthy serving of my Quaker.

Another thing that I have tried and liked is after my workout I put a tablespoon in 8 oz of coconut water. I love my regular water but this is a nice treat and helps get a bit more fiber in my system.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I grind it and use it as a coating for fish when I fry fillets, or put them in muffins or mix it up in other types of recipes I make such as vegetarian "meatballs".
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "Over a 12-week period, we did not see a change in appetite or weight loss" in study participants who consumed chia seeds, says researcher David Nieman, DrPH, a professor at Appalachian State University in North Carolina. "Our study showed no reduction in body weight, body fat and no improvement in traditional cardiovascular markers from 50 grams of chia per day.”

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-chia

Maybe because it is 70 calories for a teeny tiny tablespoon. Guys, calories are MUCH better spent on some real, tasty food rather than these seends.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    "Over a 12-week period, we did not see a change in appetite or weight loss" in study participants who consumed chia seeds, says researcher David Nieman, DrPH, a professor at Appalachian State University in North Carolina. "Our study showed no reduction in body weight, body fat and no improvement in traditional cardiovascular markers from 50 grams of chia per day.”

Maybe because it is 70 calories for a teeny tiny tablespoon. Guys, calories are MUCH better spent on some real, tasty food rather than these seends.

... OP stated the reason for use was to increase fiber intake?
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like them in a hummus and pita sandwich.
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options

So don't eat them then. No one stated "OMG!!!!11!!! THESE WILL TOTALLY MAKE YOU SKINNY LIKE TOMORROW!"

Some like them for taste, some like them for fiber, some like them for texture. All of which have nothing to do with YOUR individual weight loss journey.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I use them because they help with my hydration on my long runs and give a long energy burn....read about them in running publications... until I came to MFP I had never heard about using them for fiber or weight-loss....