Asics?

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Love all my asics. spend the $$$ if you are running you wont regret it even a tiny bit.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I never thought about eBay. I tried them on in the store, I need to go back and get the exact name that I tried and look them up for pricing! Thanks eventerchick8!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to a running store, I found this helpful in selecting my shoes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-search

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have a hared to fit foot and asics are the only shoes that fit. Paid about $75 at Sports Authority but don't recall style. There are running shoes and there are shoes that cover your feet.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics but they never seemed to have enough arch support for me. I usually wear Sketchers. They're not as well made, but they fit my feet better.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I wear asics for running - one tip is that you might need to buy a size bigger than your normal shoes. I usually buy a size 5.5 or 6 in ladies shoes/heels etc but I wear a size 7 asics ladies trainer. I find it is more comfortable for running and walking in the larger shoe. I usually try mine on in the sports shop then order online to get a deal on last years colour. I run slow in any colour, I always joke!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics but they never seemed to have enough arch support for me. I usually wear Sketchers. They're not as well made, but they fit my feet better.

Just shows how we all need to try shoes on- I find asics better than sketchers lol!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Asics make my feet miserable. I prefer Newtons.

There is no one shoe fits all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just a question on reviews for the Asics running shoes? My foot doctor recently recommended them but when I saw some were over $100, I decided I didn't want to just jump in and buy them without really reviewing the shoe itself. I tried it on and it was really comfy for the 5 minutes I tried them. He said you have to check the insole and make sure it say's 45 or 55 (the most expensive ones of course), At the time I thought it was just the style but it's not so I'll have to ask him next time I go why he said that style only. If you have any review on them that would be super helpful! Thanks in advance!
    I am an avid runner. No matter what brand you buy, which is personal preference, it's a good idea to go to a specialty sports store and have your stride measured and your shoes fitted. You want to ensure you have the best fit possible. Good running shoes can go anywhere from approximately $40 on up to $200 bucks, it just depends on where you buy them and how much you are willing to spend.

In our area Heart and Sole and Fleet Feet are the "go-to" sports stores, but I'm sure there are others.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Love all my asics. spend the $$$ if you are running you wont regret it even a tiny bit.

+1
    I have got the Asics Gel Nimbus 16 Women and I love them. I run 10k four times a week and they are the perfect shoe for me. I got my gait measured in the Running Room and while expensive they are worth it, at least for me. Ii had a knee injury two years ago and good shoes are a must for me.
    Stef.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics and they hold up extremely well. Now is a good time to buy because of back to school sales. I just bought some at foot locker for about $75 and saved $40 on them. Just shop around.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Asics. You will definitely have to order a half size larger though!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    ASICS makes different kind of shoes for different types of runners and feet. There are many other brands that also make different kind of running shoes with different characteristics. Other shoe brands that make running shoes include New Balance, Saucony, Mizuno, Brooks, Nike, ect.

Certain models are more geared for over pronators while other models are more nuetral. Some are for racing, some are for trail running, while others are considered minimalistic. Just because it is "ASICS" or "Brooks" or "Mizuno" doesn't mean it is the right shoe for you. Get to know each model within a brand and try different brands on. Get your feet tested at a real running speciality store for your gait analysis.

Here is a start:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! My doctor said he has like 28 pair of the Asics and they are amazing. I always have feet issues so that was his suggestion. I will definitely get to a store and see what they recommend for me.

MelRC117 - I will defiantly check out TJ Maxx and Marshalls! Thanks!!

You do know that running shoes eventually wear out? After running about 500-700 miles on them, you will have to retire them.
    if he runs a lot, then he will eventually retire his shoe and replace it with a new shoe. Also, more serious runners will own different pairs that will "rotate". If someone runs on consecutive days, switching your shoe will give the shoe a chance to dry and breath out. Also, different shoes will be worn depending on the workout. There are runners that will wear one shoe for their road workouts and a different shoe if they are running on trails. Some runners will have training shoes and a different shoe for races.

Instead of your "foot doctor" telling you what brand to get, he should tell you what kind of arch you have. How your foot pronates. He should explain the issues your feet are experiencing.

A gait analysis will tell you how your foot strikes when you hit the ground. if you are a heel striker or a forefoot striker. If your foot under pronates (rotates outward or pinky toe hits ground first) or over pronate (rotates inward or big toe strikes first) or nuetral (no roll). There is also a weakeneses that cause your toes to swing out as your foot approaches the ground which effects gait. Different shoe models are designed to attempt to compensate for these weaknesses or styles of your gait. Extra cushion is engineered in different shoe locations on certain models, the height between the toe and the heel may be different to accomdate a forefront striker verses a heel striker.

Your foot doctor should have pointed you in this direction as oposed to a certain brand that manufactures multiple shoe styles.

An ASICS Gel Keyano (high support/stability shoe) and an ASICS GT-2000 (trail shoe) are completely different shoes. ASICS also makes wrestling shoes, and I wouldn't suggest running in them.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Asics. Just got a new pair - my last pair lasted me something like 4 years. The cloth on the sides under the netting wore thin as I have wide feet but the soles were in top shape.

Worth the $$.
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live, but we get our Asics a lot cheaper at Big 5. They have lots of sales.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Just a question on reviews for the Asics running shoes? My foot doctor recently recommended them but when I saw some were over $100, I decided I didn't want to just jump in and buy them without really reviewing the shoe itself. I tried it on and it was really comfy for the 5 minutes I tried them. He said you have to check the insole and make sure it say's 45 or 55 (the most expensive ones of course), At the time I thought it was just the style but it's not so I'll have to ask him next time I go why he said that style only. If you have any review on them that would be super helpful! Thanks in advance!
    I run in Asics everyday! I love my shoes and I only had to pay $50 for them! I have a lower end model the Gel Contend 2 but they are great and I have had zero issues. I have also seen these shoes online as low as $35. Not sure about the insole thing but the Contends are a higher cushion shoes for a neutral foot position.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    love love love love love my asics, best shoes out there for me. i have bought cheaper asics at kohls (ok) and my recent pair are the gel nimbus 15 that i got from amazon for about $80. worth every. single. penny. for me at least. they hold up well and i haven't had sore knees or a plantar fascitis flare up at all. between my last pair of asics and this one i did try a pair of nikes but they just weren't as supportive and fell apart rather quickly. definitely try a pair on tho, everyone's foot is different! good luck with your purchases.
  • thedove60
    Options
    It really depends on what your personal needs are. That being said, I Love Asics and have had the best experience with them in my running life (15 years). Nike, Saucony, Adidas, New Balance etc.... have good running shoes also, but they did not provide the support, cushion etc that I needed. The price may seem steep, but you can always find last years model on a sales rack for a less expensive tag. But be forewarned....never scrimp on your running shoes because of price or style. It can be a matter of injury and pain later on down the line.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In reference to Asics, I am the business manager for a podiatrist. He always recommends the Asics Gels. He has found over the years that they have the best cushioning for your feet. To many people buy shoes based on looks. You can get pretty good pricing if you shop around. I am a big guy and I wear them with powersteps inside. Those are a very good insert that you can look for. Also great cushioning and fantastic arch support