Nursing Moms

Options
Do you log calories burned? Why or why not? I nurse my 8 months old about 3 times a day. I found out from someone I can add it onto my food intake and it actually credits me 200 calories for older babies. Do you think that's pretty acurate? I read if you exclusively BF you burn 500 cals a day, So 200 sounds about right for older babies.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, that sounds right for a baby her age. You should log it, because if you don't take enough calories in it may impact your supply, as well as your health.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yep, that sounds right for a baby her age. You should log it, because if you don't take enough calories in it may impact your supply, as well as your health.

thank you! I think I will keep logging it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

thank you! I think I will keep logging it.

If you don't want to have to log it every single day, you could adjust your goal by 200 calories so it's already in there for you. I think that's what I would do if I were still nursing.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    my son is 16 months and i breastfeed all day, but dont log in those cals, I just feel is part of the day, like cleaning, walking, shopping,etc...thats when "burn more than you eat" plays its role!
  • tummymummy
    Options
    My 6 month old is starting to wean but has been BF exclusively up til now - I havent logged this and so far have been doing ok with food eaten and calories burned - My milk supply is definitely not dropping yet so dont think I'll bother but will keep an eye on it.
  • Katie813
    Options
    I EBF my 6 month old and haven't logged the extra calories burned, Ive been logging just under 1200 calories a day and my milk supply is fine. I look at it as bonus calories lost! I feel like if I log them I will est more and then it will just take longer to lose the LBS!
  • jenlayport
    Options
    I EBF my 6 month old and haven't logged the extra calories burned, Ive been logging just under 1200 calories a day and my milk supply is fine. I look at it as bonus calories lost! I feel like if I log them I will est more and then it will just take longer to lose the LBS!
    thats what I think Im doing! =(
  • jenlayport
    Options
    my son is 16 months and i breastfeed all day, but dont log in those cals, I just feel is part of the day, like cleaning, walking, shopping,etc...thats when "burn more than you eat" plays its role!

I never looked @ it this way. I feel like I have an excuse to eat 200 extra calories because of it! Thanks!
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I also think of it as "just part of the day". You don't log everytime you change a diaper, walk to the restroom, etc.

I am nursing my 8 month old daughter and haven't had ANY supply issues.