Does cardio burn more than Pilates (Blogilates?)

Options
I am starting up the beginners Blogilates work out calendar tomorrow. Out of curiosity I took a look at how it would be logged into MFP and it told me that 20 minutes of Pilates would only burn 54 calories yet cardio burns two times that amount. Is MFP just wrong or are Pilates just not as good?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, most cardio workouts will burn more calories than pilates. I wouldn't say one or the other is not "good", they're just different.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are like a gazillion variables to consider here. In general, yes..most cardiovascular workouts are going to burn more calories than pilates will...that doesn't mean one is inherently better than the other...burning additional calories is just a nice bi-product of fitness...it isn't the purpose of fitness.

Finding purpose to your fitness beyond calorie burn will open up a whole new world to you...and it will also make fitness far more enjoyable.
  • jamesdavidy
    Options
    Do both, seriously, mix it up keep the metabolism guessing and burnig. Also you gotta get Pilaties or yoga in there for balance, flexibility core strength and a yin yang balance, above all have fun :smile:
  • BerriHan
    BerriHan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advices!

Currently new to fitness (two weeks in, have been doing 30 Day Shred and Couch to 5k) and I'm trying to find out more about my body, what it needs, how to exercise it, etc. I'm hoping I find a good routine in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of alternating between cardio, strength training and pilates.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advices!

Currently new to fitness (two weeks in, have been doing 30 Day Shred and Couch to 5k) and I'm trying to find out more about my body, what it needs, how to exercise it, etc. I'm hoping I find a good routine in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of alternating between cardio, strength training and pilates.

I was into pilates years ago. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I did find it made me look slimmer just because I feel like it helped with posture.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes I would say that cardio burns more calories than pilates. They are two different types of workouts and both great for you in their own way. I would do both cardio and pilates. Pilates made me feel lean and thin. I was able to stretch a lot further, felt more flexible and overall it made my back and body feel great. Neither is necessary, but they both definitely have their advantages.