Slightly sore lower back after deadlifting

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to barbell lifting - I decided recently to start to take a more active role in my fitness, rather than just going to the gym, cranking out 3x10's of whatever looked interesting, and then eating whatever the hell I felt like.

After doing some research I landed on the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I spent quite a while looking at the form videos and descriptions and trying to get a good idea of what the form is like for each of the lifts. Unfortunately, I don't have a lifting partner who already knows what they're doing, so I'm pretty much on my own in terms of starting to lift.

The biggest thing I'm afraid of is injuring my lower back while deadlifting - it's why I took so long to get started with this program in the first place. However, I sucked it up and got started this week, and yesterday was my first deadlifting day.

I started with the bar + 35 pounds, as instructed, and went through the motions feeling pretty good, trying as hard as I could to keep a straight back (which I think I achieved pretty well). However, today my lower back is just a tiny bit sore. I'm thinking this is probably just normal since I've never done this type of lift before but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this

. I'd also love to just hear any advice for someone who is brand new to lifting and trying to figure out form on my own!

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to barbell lifting - I decided recently to start to take a more active role in my fitness, rather than just going to the gym, cranking out 3x10's of whatever looked interesting, and then eating whatever the hell I felt like.

After doing some research I landed on the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I spent quite a while looking at the form videos and descriptions and trying to get a good idea of what the form is like for each of the lifts. Unfortunately, I don't have a lifting partner who already knows what they're doing, so I'm pretty much on my own in terms of starting to lift.

The biggest thing I'm afraid of is injuring my lower back while deadlifting - it's why I took so long to get started with this program in the first place. However, I sucked it up and got started this week, and yesterday was my first deadlifting day.

I started with the bar + 35 pounds, as instructed, and went through the motions feeling pretty good, trying as hard as I could to keep a straight back (which I think I achieved pretty well). However, today my lower back is just a tiny bit sore. I'm thinking this is probably just normal since I've never done this type of lift before but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this

. I'd also love to just hear any advice for someone who is brand new to lifting and trying to figure out form on my own!
    Sounds like DOMS, or normal muscle soreness after a new workout.

As for tips on form, take videos of yourself lifting. Don't be afraid to post them and see what others think.
  • grayo15
    grayo15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A little muscle soreness is to be expected especially when first starting a lifting program.
    one thing ive noticed is alot of people doing stronglifts 5x5 do 5x5 on deadlifts by accident instead of 1x5 which the program recomends
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the major work for a deadlift should be coming from your hams and glutes. Feel the lift there. Your back will get a little sore, that's to be expected. However, you will want to make sure those big old hams and glutes are doing the bulk of the work.

To do that, you might need to do a little corrective work if they aren't firing, but if they are, you'll feel them tomorrow.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    A little muscle soreness is to be expected especially when first starting a lifting program.
    one thing ive noticed is alot of people doing stronglifts 5x5 do 5x5 on deadlifts by accident instead of 1x5 which the program recomends

Really good post, there's a reason you do dead lift 1x5 on the strong lifts program and why it's only done every other workout.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I've been doing this!! Doh! Realised a couple of days ago. Am a bit gutted though - I love my deadlifts! I'm gonna miss them!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That's 1x5 for a max set, you can still do more.
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Get the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe

Excellent description on how to do all the big lifts.

I am also self taught and I now compete in Powwerlifting competitions on a regular basis.

That book helped me a great deal.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's 1x5 for a max set, you can still do more.

Yeah!! I like this much better :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for the book Starting Strength. A few things to consider - did you keep the bar close to the legs, or did you let it swing out? Focus on glute and hamstrings doing the work. You may also need to go a little lighter in weight while you work on form.

Great job getting started! 5x5 is a solid program!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the major work for a deadlift should be coming from your hams and glutes. Feel the lift there.

This.

I did my deadlift workout yesterday. I used to do StrongLifts 5x5, but after a year, I upped the deadlifts. I now do a pyramid of x5. I got to my last set yesterday... I thought my hamstrings were going to fall out the back of my legs.

If you're doing it right, you'll feel it in the right places.

Some lower back pain is normal early on. One thing to remember is that the deadlift really taxes the central nervous system. It will take your CNS some time to adapt, and you'll feel that too. Just go slow. Follow the program. It does work. And the deadlift is a great lift.
  • sheath6633
    sheath6633 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's probably just normal. While I didn't do 5x5, I will admit I did 2x5 cause I was enjoying it.... I'll check into Starting Strength, and whenever my wife is able to get back in the gym with me (She's 39 weeks pregnant, no lifting for her!) then I'll have her take a video of my form and throw it up!