I can do pushups again!

Options
Eruizjr
Eruizjr Posts: 7 Member
I'm almost 2 months into my weight loss journey here (20 lbs lost so far) and yesterday I was able to do a minimum set of 8 "honest" pushups! This may not sound like a lot but you have to understand that my upper body is extremely weak and for about 15 yrs I couldn't even do just ONE. My arms would quiver and give out at the bottom of the movement and I would collapse hating myself for being so out of shape and weak. I used to be in the military and could knock em out at will so it was especially infuriating being reminded of what I had lost. This time however I started getting tired around the sixth one but pushed the last two out and it suddenly hit me that I had actually finished the minimum reps for the set and kept pace with the program. Wow!

I'm halfway through the old school Power 90 program and it has really helped me increase my upper body strength so I'll take this small victory! I was all smiles at the end of my workout yesterday as I really felt I had achieved a personal milestone and I can't wait to see what else I'll be able to do. For those familiar with Power 90, my next challenge are the "777s" which equal 21 pushups of various forms (the narrow ones kill me!!).

Congrats to all the other success stories as you guys keep motivating me and reminding me that I can do this. See you at the finish line!

Replies

• DonnaMDaniels
    DonnaMDaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous!! Congratulations!
  • HfxJMac
    HfxJMac Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good on you, man - way to go! The victories will start to pile up, so keep at it.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I offically did one as you say "honest pushup" and it was amazing. I feel your success!
    One of my goals is to be able to do 3 sets pushups and be able to do at least one set of pull ups.
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I had the same success today. I progressed to toes from knees. So i know what you are feeling :D
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Chest to the ground! Use those triceps! Yesterday 8, tomorrow, 9! :p
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! See, it's all about the little victories that move us along.
    Well done
  • thinbi
    thinbi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have never been able to do one but am working on it :smile:
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Great job! :smile:
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't minimize your success! That's awesome! I can't say that I can do 1 honest push up. I similarly increased my plank from 20 seconds to 25 seconds and it was the best feeling!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!