Bragging on People I don't know.

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
A dance friend sent this video to me knowing I'm a lifter.
And I almost cried. Just makes my heart REALLY big to watch people busting through so many levels of discrimination and preconceived notions on SO many waves. Really just made my proud of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bEbCRmD8jk

So I posted it on my wall.
Freckles (fistbump) reposted as well with an article about her.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/sports/amid-glares-female-muslim-weightlifters-compete.html?_r=1&

Really. this is kind of fantastic- the world and lifters should be really excited for her everywhere.

anyway- soft mushy movement over- felt it was a big enough even to share and bring awareness!!!

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Amazing person, thank you for sharing this.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think weightlifting is impressive in general, but she kind of blows me away. :love: :heart: :drinker:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! Great article. She's so bada$$ too.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Yesss this is awesome!!! I read it earlier when freckles posted, but thank you BOTH for bringing it into the light :bigsmile:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I like Hugh Jackman and all- but I feel like this is a way bigger ground breaking deal.

Seriously- I've gotten softer in my old age- but tearing up over strangers still isn't in my MO... so happy to see the progress we are making!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Love the awesomeness!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    :heart: She's my new hero. Srsly. Will be routing for her in 2016!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I like Hugh Jackman and all- but I feel like this is a way bigger ground breaking deal.

Seriously- I've gotten softer in my old age- but tearing up over strangers still isn't in my MO... so happy to see the progress we are making!!!

I teared up too the first time I saw it. No shame. As I said in my wall post, any woman that goes against the status quo is good in my book.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I teared up too the first time I saw it. No shame. As I said in my wall post, any woman that goes against the status quo is good in my book.

Exactly.

And I love this part at the end of the article:
    At a recent workout, Al Haddad, in the company of a male trainer, wore full arm and leg compression skins under her shorts and a short-sleeve shirt with the word “beast” printed in bold across it, a concession to tradition.

knowing they aren't supposed to share gym space- just... HUGE. Seriously huge.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Pretty Cool! :heart: :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Very good to see.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This video is so awesome on so many levels. As a fellow muslim, I personally found her so inspiring. I really hope to watch her in 2016.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Just. So. Awesome. Have to post this on my FB wall. Thanks for sharing.