someone please help me, what do i eat when im a hypoglycemic

Options
hi i just found out i have hypoglycemia and need to change my diet. what can i eat and can anyone help me with a sample menu? i don't know what i can and can't eat.

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    try going to the message board search and type in Hypoglycemic and see what pops up. I wish I could offer something but it's the opposite in my family.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't have an eating plan but I have dealt with this a bit in my life...to realy feel good I needed to eat good carbs...good whole grain carbs and balance it with protein...thus when I was feeling a crash a piece of string cheese did the trick...eggs and toast are good...almond butter, which is usually sweetened less than PB is good on a whole grain bagel...while I will never do a low carb diet...the carbs have to be good complex carbs and there has to be at least some protein in each meal. When I back my lunch for work,,,I will make sure that for each fruit (I eat a lot of fruit at lunch, there is an ounce of cheese or some nuts or something lie that)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Make certain you're getting enough PROTEIN.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    oops! misread it! though u were talking abt a hypoglycaemic event!
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    Most important you ask your Doctor, get it right from the off, untill then the net can be a great resource....
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also have hypoglycemia. It's one of the reasons I joined and want to lose weight as it can be a precurser for diabetes. I did ask my doctor about the diet for hypoglycemia and he said proteins with every meal and complex carbohydrates. The protein keeps the blood sugar stable. Since I have joined MFP and have made a point to eat protein with every meal, my blood sugar has been steady and good. When it drops I get shaky and moody and feel the need to eat everything in sight. I would just check the labels on food. If I'm at home I try to eat eggs for breakfast. If I'm at work I try and buy cereal with high protein like Kashi Go Lean Krunch Honey Almond Flax (9grams of protein), or the new fruit and nut oatmeal. As long as I make a point to eat protein and not high sugar foods at every meal I do well.
  • Dmwalt
    Dmwalt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend seeing a nutritionist. I went to a nutritionist and I lost 20 lbs.
  • missgreen74_2003
    missgreen74_2003 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also have hypoglycemia! I have had it ever since i was little. when I was 10 i got migranes so badly we went to the doc and basically was told not to eat sugar lol. The docs never really told me a diet, but through years of trial and error i know I have to eat "real" food in order to feel right. Like everyone else said, eat lots of protien which i thought was weird since its low blood sugar so you think it would be best to eat sugar, but that's dead wrong lol. Nothing like a hypoglyemic crash to teach you that lol! My best advice i can give is to limit refined sugar eat lots of protien and eat often! eating a small amount of nuts several times throughout the day will keep you feeling so much better! Crazy how something so little canmake you feel so much better! I hope this helps! Any one with hypo feel free to add me, Its always nice to meet ppl who are going through the same thing as you!

i'm not the perfect eater... but you can feel free to look at my food diary and see what i eat.