Side Dishes

I am not a big vegtable eater and I been eating potatoes and rice every single day. Does anyone have any other reccomendations for some good side dishes?????

Replies

• CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Have you tried roasting or grilling cauliflower, broccoli or squash? Just drizzle with some olive oil and season how you like it. I am also not a big veggie eater, and never could I eat those things raw. But cook em up like this and they're delicious.
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    I wil try that it sounds like ti could be good. I am just tired of potatos lol
  • Rachinator92
    Rachinator92 Posts: 62 Member
    I eat so much potatoes too... lol.
  • JDHEKS
    JDHEKS Posts: 8 Member
    Green peppers, yellow peppers, red peppers, onions. Slice into strips, toss with olive oil, cook in a covered skillet for 16-18 minutes = soft veggies. Goes great with chicken and some sour cream to make a fajita.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I eat a lot of green salads. I buy the large tubs of mixed greens or spinach, throw on some onions and some sort of pickled something or other, possibly some peppers, cheese, any leftover grilled or deli meat, and I have a collection of delicious dressings.

I also keep a few cans of things like yellow squash and onions or baby carrots. Eating an entire can of these things will cost you less than 100 calories, so they're great sides when I'm really hungry.

But personally, I love veggies and I eat a bunch of them. Try some of the veggie mixes in the freezer section that you can throw in the microwave. Even if you find that you don't like the mix, or most of what's in it, you may find one or two good veggies that you love, and next time you can buy just those.

If you like things on the sweeter side, try sweet potatoes and winter squash like butternut or acorn. You usually won't find them frozen, but they're super easy to cook. For the squash, you can cut them in half longways, scoop out the seeds, and just throw them in the oven at anywhere between 35-450 until they're soft. You can add butter, oil, herbs and spices if you want, but really all that's necessary is a little salt. You can eat them right out of the shell, or scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mix with things like honeyed goat cheese or spinach. I'm currently making a butternut squash casserole with ham and pasta shells, goat cheese and spinach. An entire large serving will be less than 400 calories. I'll be stuffing myself on it all day.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Yep, dinners in my house usually have some type of meat, potatoes/rice/pasta, and veggies of some sort; something I'm getting a little sick of.

Veggies are something a lot of people come around on once they find the right way to prep them. I'm never going to be a salad fiend, but throw some zucchini and red pepper in the over for like half an hour at 370 with a little bit of olive oil and some seasoning and I'm a happy camper.

I also love baked sweet potato with margarine and garlic powder.

You could do cauliflower "mashed potatoes" which is basically just roasted/boiled cauliflower that you throw in a blender with a bit of milk. It's a similiar texture, but a different set of nutrients.

Basic steamed green beans are pretty delicious, as is corn on the cob, or pretty much any version of canned corn in my opinion haha.

Good luck on finding some alternatives that work for you.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 152 Member
    Definitely try roasting veggies. High heat (400-450), drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper. Roasting completely transforms a lot of veggies people think they don't like, including cauliflower and Brussels sprouts (both are amazing roasted), broccoli, and onions. I also love roasted peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, asparagus, summer and butternut squash. You could also cook up some spaghetti squash and use it in place of pasta - it is great with marinara or light sauces like lemon butter, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Roasted veggies, squash, mashed cauliflower or carrots (I do love both), a nice side salad, heck even frozen veggies with seasoning... Or you could go fancy and make some casseroles (that could contain potatoes too).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Grilling is another great thing to do to veggies, especially those with a bit of sugar like winter squashes and carrots. The grilling caramelizes the sugars and they end up super sweet and smoky. Baby carrots are one of my favorite things to put on a grill. If they're thick, steam them for a few minutes in the microwave first so they'll cook all the way through. Then wrap them in foil with salt (and butter or oil if you insist, but it's not needed), poke a few holes in it with a fork and throw it over the coals. Turn it over every few minutes to get it even. Check it every so often...it's done when you start getting little black spots on the ends of the carrots. It's a revelation. You'll never view carrots the same way again.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Get some frozen broccoli, throw it in a ziplock bag with a liiiiiiiittle bit of water, close it 90% of the way and microwave it for ~3 minutes. Take it out, massage it a little, throw it back in there for ~3 more minutes. Plate it, spritz it with a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, salt & pepper - delicious.

Or just stab a sweet potato with a fork a bunch of times, microwave it for 5 mins, rotate, 5 more mins, eat with ICBINB spray. Also delicious!