LEANING OUT, ADVICE

Options
Hi! So I'm currently trying to lean out and seeing little improvement. I'm 5'6", 150 lbs 24.5% body fat. I've got some pretty serious muscles but they're only seen of I flex. I eat virtually no carbs, high protein and about 1200-1400 calories a day.

WHY CANT I LEAN OUT?!

Replies

• Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Really increase your water drinking - add some fiber (even if it is the kind in a jar) - also try doing longer cardio, not faster. If your body is thinking it needs to build strength, its going to hold some energy for that purpose. Changing it up and going for endurance - along with the water and fiber may kick your body into a different direction.

As far as the calories, frankly I think the number isn't as important as the components. 1200-1400 calories can be less nutritious than a more efficient diet at 1,000 calories. Not saying you should drop the calories, but maybe if you took another look at what you were eating and going for even more fiber, lean protein and biasing your fats to fish oils and more nutritious fats might be an answer.
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I currently do take Benefiber, I eat VERY clean, my calories are consisted of high protein, low low sugar, low carb but on lifting days I will up my fat intake (without carbs my body needs SOMETHING to use for energy). And as for water, I drink a gallon a day.

You can see my frustration? I could up my cardio though, I do interval training on the treadmil for 20 minutes three times a week...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Maybe start making sure that you are hitting all of your macros. Carbs, protein and fat all play an important part in body composition. You also are eating very low, how are you possibly getting an adequate amount of nutrients. You need to eat more if you are lifting heavy. Carbs are important especially when lifting.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You seem pretty lean to me.
  • KylaDenay
    Options

Yes that was my thought too. You already look amazing in your profile pic girl. Maybe start focusing on a recomp eating a maintenance calories. Or maybe even a bulk/cut phase.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Yes that was my thought too. You already look amazing in your profile pic girl. Maybe start focusing on a recomp eating a maintenance calories. Or maybe even a bulk/cut phase.
    Agreed.
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found this tip from Jillian Michaels helpful. I used to bike a lot every day but I was still a total pudge. Then I started running and the lbs flew off.
    Switch up your workout. You might not realize this, but your body will adapt to any type of exercise. The first time you go run a mile, it is probably going to be rough. But by the 40th time you run a mile, it’s a lot easier, right? As you get used to a type of exercise, it becomes less challenging and, as a result, less effective.
  • madisonamanda
    Options
    Well thank you, ladies. :)

@kyladenay maybe I should have used the term cut versus lean out. I just wanna see my muscles when I'm resting.. you know what I mean? Not INCREDIBLY cut like bikini competitors (good for them but not for me).

Maybe like you said, changing it up, "bulking" ...uping my nutrition intake and then cutting would be effective. Maybe I've plateaued and need to shake things up?!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was thinking bulk/cut cycle too.

Question - how did you get that BF% measurement?
  • madisonamanda
    Options
    I didn't have it professionally done. I did it based off of height/weight and body measurements with an online calculator....

• KylaDenay
    Options
    Well thank you, ladies. :)

@kyladenay maybe I should have used the term cut versus lean out. I just wanna see my muscles when I'm resting.. you know what I mean? Not INCREDIBLY cut like bikini competitors (good for them but not for me).

Maybe like you said, changing it up, "bulking" ...uping my nutrition intake and then cutting would be effective. Maybe I've plateaued and need to shake things up?!

As you long as you are comfortable enough to maybe do a slow bulk and gain some weight, then I think that is a great option for you.

Good luck!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Those are horrible. It says I'm at 26% bf. Lmao.

To be cut you need a lot of muscle and low bodyfat. I assume you know you can't gain muscle and lose fat right? Bulk, then cut. Or cut and then bulk. Depending on your preference.
    I didn't have it professionally done. I did it based off of height/weight and body measurements with an online calculator....

• kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How old are you? What are your workouts like... HR-LW, LR-HW, Circuit, etc? What kind of intervals exactly on your tm workouts? How many grams of carbs, proteins, fats are you taking in on w/o and non w/o days?
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Hey Madison,

I've been using this formula the past few weeks to help hone in on reaching a particular goal. You can get really specific with it and think you might find it helpful too...

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i'm starting a cut now with the guidance of a coach and i'm on a high protein/high carb/low fat plan.. i don't know the extent of the intensity/frequency of your workouts, but you do need carbs to fuel your workouts especially if you're lifting 5-6 days a week with cardio.
  • BrillFit
    BrillFit Posts: 368
    Options
    Hi! So I'm currently trying to lean out and seeing little improvement. I'm 5'6", 150 lbs 24.5% body fat. I've got some pretty serious muscles but they're only seen of I flex. I eat virtually no carbs, high protein and about 1200-1400 calories a day.

WHY CANT I LEAN OUT?!
    It's very possible that you're not in taking enough calories - if you work out hard.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's a thing.

I think we would need a more descriptive breakdown on what you do.

Workouts? do you lift? what kind of program do you do ?
    caloric intake on w/o days vs non workout days?
    what kind of cardio you do, how often? etc
  • madisonamanda
    Options
    i'm 23. I suppose low rep, high weight? I push as heavy as I can for ten reps, 3-4 sets depending. Once I can do over 10, I move heavier. Treadmill interval is as follows:
    -3minutes at 4mph,
    -2 minutes at 9mph,
    -2 minute at 6 mph,
    -1 minute at 10mph,
    -6 minute at 6mph,
    - 6 minutes at 4.5 mph on incline of 10.

On non w/o days On average I take in about 30-35 carbs, 70 protein, fats 30-60 ( I don't really have a rhyme or reason for fats)
    On W/O days, on average I take in 60 carbs, 80-110 protein.. fats can be up to 80.

How old are you? What are your workouts like... HR-LW, LR-HW, Circuit, etc? What kind of intervals exactly on your tm workouts? How many grams of carbs, proteins, fats are you taking in on w/o and non w/o days?
  • madisonamanda
    Options
    I'm lifting five days a week, cardio two- three times a week...
    i'm starting a cut now with the guidance of a coach and i'm on a high protein/high carb/low fat plan.. i don't know the extent of the intensity/frequency of your workouts, but you do need carbs to fuel your workouts especially if you're lifting 5-6 days a week with cardio.
  • madisonamanda
    Options
    I should also reveal that I am petrified of carbs.....

i'm 23. I suppose low rep, high weight? I push as heavy as I can for ten reps, 3-4 sets depending. Once I can do over 10, I move heavier. Treadmill interval is as follows:
    -3minutes at 4mph,
    -2 minutes at 9mph,
    -2 minute at 6 mph,
    -1 minute at 10mph,
    -6 minute at 6mph,

On non w/o days On average I take in about 30-35 carbs, 70 protein, fats 30-60 ( I don't really have a rhyme or reason for fats)
    On W/O days, on average I take in 60 carbs, 80-110 protein.. fats can be up to 80.

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    -3minutes at 4mph,
    -2 minutes at 9mph,
    -2 minute at 6 mph,
    -1 minute at 10mph,
    -6 minute at 6mph,

what are the rest of your stats? height/weight? that sounds terribly low with regard to your protein intake on either day!