My first 5K - and I got congratulated by a former BL contest

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
I did my first 5K today to benefit the victims (and their families) of the tragic shooting here in Tucson. I was only planning to walk it, but then I decided to try to run as much as I could. I ran in short bursts and walked for a minute or two to catch my breath - probably around 60% walking. 40% running - a BIG accomplishment for someone who normally wouldn't run even if I was being chased. :laugh:
When all was said and done, I finished my first 5K in 47:23 - not a fabulous time, but exciting for me, anyway!
After I finished the race, I went to stand at the finish line and take pictures as other people finished and, while I was doing that, my husband went to meet Jessica Delfs, a contestant on last year's Biggest Loser and the Master of Ceremonies of today's event. He told her about me and how I've lost over 50 pounds in a little over 4 months and she wanted to meet me! So Danny (my hubby) fetched me and she told me congratulations and good job and how I should be very proud of my accomplishments.

I am a little over halfway to my initial goal, but I wanted to share some photos of today's event because it was a big "success story" for me to be able to complete a 5K AND to get kudos from a Biggest Loser contestant. :wink:

Me and my hubby before the event started:
005-1-1.jpg

This event was planned in only 12 days, but it had an ENORMOUS turnout - amazing how much our community has banded together in the wake of this tragedy:
039-1.jpg

The route took us right by the intersection of the Safeway where the shooting took place:
043-1.jpg

Me with Jessica Delfs from Biggest Loser:
052-1-1.jpg

Me and my hubby with Jessica Delfs:
053-1.jpg

Replies

• Enchantica
    Options
    Well done on completing your first 5k! You should be so very proud of yourself!
    I'm going to do one in the summer here in the UK - for Race For Life - all sponsorship going towards cancer research. I'll be running in memory of a lot of family and friends who's died of cancer or are seriously ill with cancer and also for my mum who's recently undergone breast cancer treatment and will hopefully make a complete recovery.
    Netty
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 5k I am so nervous to do one still!!!! that is neat meeting s ome from the biggest loser too!!!!
  • roboray
    roboray Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Looks like u had a great time. You look fabulous!!!! Congratulations on your accomplishment!!! Thanks for reminding us to take a minute to remember the victims and your community!! Keep up the great work!!!!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on an amazing 5K. You should be proud! Way to go! Keep up the great work!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5K. And, how very exciting to meet a former Biggest Loser contestant. Great pictures. Please know that thoughts and prayers still go out for your community.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations on your 5K! I'm doing my first one in March.. I'm a little nervous!

Great job - keep it up!
  • emilillymom
    Options
    congrats on your first 5k. i am hoping to do my first one in may.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great success story if I ever heard one!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What a very cool day!!!!
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are doing fabulously well. Keep up the good work.

I am glad that you all in Tucson got together for a 5K to honor the victims. I think it is a good way to start the healing. This is such a tough time for your city. What a positive way to work through it! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

(My kids are Hokies and they run a 3.2 miles race to honor the 32 victims at their school)
  • mandym74
    mandym74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What a great accomplishment! I hope one day I can say I have walked a 5k. You may not even realize what a true inspiration you are.... I am in the Houston area and everyone has Tuscan in our thoughts and prayers as rehabilitation begins with Congresswoman Giffords.
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    Great job! I LOVE Jessica! Now you have a base to start with and to only get better. Have a great day! :blushing:
  • caseykm
    caseykm Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k! I'm also here in Tucson and running that race was a great way to help yourself and support our community. So cool you got to meet a BL contestant!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!