Tailgating?

Options
So how in the world do I tailgate now? I've spent 20 years as an adult killing cases of beer and dark liquor and eating whatever I wanted to on Saturdays while I cheered on my beloved Dawgs and Noles. Part of my journey is not giving up my life, so as I am two days away from opening day, how in the world do I reasonably approach a football game? Any suggestions?

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas I have for you... I hope it helps!

1) On weeks you plan to tailgate, maybe try eating a little less every other day that week. If you cut back, say, 100 calories per day, you'd have an extra 600 calories for tailgating without affecting your calorie target. And since it's only cutting back a small amount per day, it may not be that noticeable for you on the days you're cutting back.
    2) Perhaps an extra workout before you head to the tailgate or another day or two that week?
    3) Maybe just try to manage your food portions? I know that when I am logging consistently, I tend to be "better" about my diet, since I am more conscious about it and know I have to log it later. I am a big grazer... I'll snack on something in front of me whether I'm hungry or not. So the idea of having to log it later makes me think about it and actually decide if I'm hungry or not
    4) Maybe even some simple swaps like veggies with dip rather than chips. I find that I care most about the flavor of the dip rather than the vessel, so this really isn't even a sacrifice for me.

There are a lot of good recipes out there, which are just lightened up versions of the real thing. Here are some examples: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/football-recipes.html

I especially love the bacon wrapped chicken (sounds totally sinful right??? But really not "bad" for you if you mind the portion size) as well as the buffalo chicken dip.
    5) Perhaps some semi-active games while you're tailgating? Stuff like *kitten*/bean bag toss isn't going to burn a whole lot of calories, but you'd burn more than sitting the whole time.
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    Just like you are applying portion control to each meal, each day, tailgating will be no different. I love the previous poster's suggestion of storing up 100 cal per day to use for a splurge on game day! Good luck and GO DAWGS!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ooo I thought this was going to be a road-rage thread. :grumble:
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bigger question - how are you a UGA AND an FSU fan??? Unless you have a son playing for each, pick one and quit sitting on the fence.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Light beer or wine, or booze and soda drinks. Grilled meat. Meat meat meat! Throw the ball around a lot, be active. Take a lap of the parking lot once or twice. Jump around and yell a lot during the game :)

I did pretty well at TG #1 this year, we'll see how tonight goes. Also, I tell myself it's once every two weeks so that's my cheat day. I'm in charge of making jello shots for my tailgate so I end up doing like 20 per game. I don't even want to know how many calories they have! Ack!
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    So how in the world do I tailgate now? I've spent 20 years as an adult killing cases of beer and dark liquor and eating whatever I wanted to on Saturdays while I cheered on my beloved Dawgs and Noles. Part of my journey is not giving up my life, so as I am two days away from opening day, how in the world do I reasonably approach a football game? Any suggestions?

You pick the two worst teams of all too pull for. Except Notre Dame and the Gamecocks. (and the U).

Just eat celery and drink G2. You be aight....
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options

First of all, you are not the person you were for the last 20 years....you are making a positive change in how you handle food/drink. Remind yourself of that from time to time, especially when the beer is calling or your friends are saying "c'mon, just one more!!"

Second, as was said above, make a plan (save up calories), make good food choices (bringing your own healthier choices if needed), limit yourself on the alcohol intake and make water your new best friend (you will still have fun!), toss the football around with your friends, etc.

Try to change your focus from tailgating being about the food/beer to tailgating because you enjoy being around your friends and talking football.

Do you all grill when you tailgate? The healthy options there are unlimited....chicken, veggies, shrimp, lean beef, pineapple, peaches......even a low calorie pound cake (google for recipes) can be sliced and grilled for a really yummy treat.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options

As in Georgia Dawgs!! Oh Yeah!!!

You earn it..Don't deny yourself life's pleasures! Just be mindful and work harder for it the next day!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Buy a bicycle. Ride it every day of the week for about an hour. Don't eat any extra. Eat all the foods and drink all the beer on the weekends.

:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Buy a bicycle. Ride it every day of the week for about an hour. Don't eat any extra. Eat all the foods and drink all the beer on the weekends.

pretty much...

Then throw in a long ride on Sunday...or a CX race.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of "eating" events coming up. (Holidays, tailgating etc)
    We have to decide how we are going to celebrate.
    Either make healthier foods, use portion control, or decide if it is going to be a real treat and celebration.
    The important thing is to just remember to take it 1 day or event at a time, and decide that we will stick with our plans when the events are over. Never lose sight of our goals and our new eating habits.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    GO BEAVERS!!!!!
    I feel your pain - went through it last year and starting again on Saturday. Good advice above - try saving up some calories from the week before, or the week after (if you are not tailgating every Saturday).
    Plan your meals - add some more veggies or fruit into the mix - cut out or cut-down on cheap calories like chips, and instead focus on what good food you can be eating.
    Look at your recipies - make your own chicken wings on the grill or bake ahead of time instead of buy pre-made deep fried wings. Look at your marinades - amazing how many calories you can cut out by decreasing the amount of oil and other unnecessary ingredients.

Live your life - weightloss/maintenace/body recomposition is a life-long thing - a few Saturdays a year by themselves will not stop you from progressing as long as you don't do it every day.

My goal last year was to weight the same on September 1 and January 5th - I did not plan to lose any weight, but I worked hard not to gain any. Worked - lost 10 pounds during that time - not great, but I did reach my goal of not gaining!

GO BEAVERS!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't mean giving up things. So you make a few adjustments during the week to accommodate your weekend, no big!
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings are a very traditional part of football games and are low in calories (depending on the sauce) and high in protein!
  • michirusan82
    michirusan82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Plan what you are going to eat, bring healthier options to share, get active. Basically what everyone else said. You don't want to deprive yourself nor overindulge.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^This.:flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, definitely cut back on the alcohol. but track what you do drink. what is it, an 8 hour day, tailgating at the stadium and watching the game? just allow yourself 8 beers, one an hour. and bring healthy food to make. you might get a little ridiculed at first, but honestly, so many people are being health conscious, that they'll probably thank you.

are there any greek deli's near you? this one place by me makes awesome kabobs, seasoned. they take five minutes on the grill and are very healthy.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Same boat over here.
    Broncos and Giants house over here. Sundays we drag the family to the local chain restaurants to watch the game. We have regular parties at the house, and go to maybe 2 games a season complete with tailgating. This is a good thread for me to follow for everyone's suggestions!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings are a very traditional part of football games and are low in calories (depending on the sauce) and high in protein!

Aren't chicken wings like 80 calories per wing with no sauce? Considering I can eat like 20 of them, I don't know that I would call them low in calories. Tons of protein though for sure.