Big booty problems

Options
Ok ladies I need advice. I've spent most of my life skinny and flat as a board. Even when I gained some weight I never had much of a butt. But my rear view has expanded considerably since I've started lifting and now I have no idea what to wear. Most of my closet is comprised of long tunic tops and empire waist dresses - but my new butt sticks out awkwardly and breaks the flowing lines. I know it's a ridiculous request, but for those of you who've got a bigger rear end - what sorts of things do you wear that flatter it? I'm so tired of trying on clothes that look awesome from the front but super awkward from behind :/

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't think having a big butt means you can't wear empire waist dresses or tunics. It's not awkward, it's just different than what you are used to.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Me me! Large behind over here. I am very close to an hourglass shape and have learned what shapes work, and what shapes do not.

Shapeless tunics, empire dresses, etc, do not cinch on your smallest part, and thus can do funky things with larger hips and booties/smaller waists.

For me, fit and flare dresses, straighter a-line skirts (so they flow over booty/don't get stuck ON booty- but don'tmake hips look much larger due to extra material)
  • megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm naturally pear shaped so this is kind of my life. Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit disappointed that things don't look the same on me as they do on the mannequin/model. But then I remember it's because of my glorious booty and then everything's okay :laugh:

In all seriousness though, sometimes I have trouble and avoid wearing certain things (pencil skirts, certain pairs of slacks) because I work in a sketchy area. I can't think of anything that actually looks BAD because of my shape.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally pear shaped so this is kind of my life. Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit disappointed that things don't look the same on me as they do on the mannequin/model. But then I remember it's because of my glorious booty and then everything's okay :laugh:

In all seriousness though, sometimes I have trouble and avoid wearing certain things (pencil skirts, certain pairs of slacks) because I work in a sketchy area. I can't think of anything that actually looks BAD because of my shape.

Yes, pencil skirts are a no go for me, too
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm very pear shaped and have no problem with a pencil skirt. The one I own has some stretch to it and no zippers so it still looks smooth. My boyfriend loves the look and compliments me every time I wear it. I also have a dress with similar shape that I always get complimented in. I think it accentuates my small waist and curves, just don't be afraid to go up a size and use a thick belt to pull in the waist.

I second the fit and flare dresses! Those are great for keeping smooth body lines with a booty.

The main thing I do stay away from are really short dresses/skirts/shorts, as my butt makes them even shorter in the back and I'm not the "cheeky" type in public!

You can still do the long tunic, just decide if you prefer one that is more form fitting or looser.

It sucks constantly trying clothes on, but really it's all about preference and your own style! I don't mind having a bigger butt and don't try to hide it (couldn't if I tried anyway! lol).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I find that peplum style tops with fitted pants, jeans, or skirts are a good option. Also just watching the length of tops in general...fewer tunics, and more that hit right at the waist or very top of the hip.

Dresses in general, just try on tons and you'll know when you find the ones that flatter your figure best!
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can tell you something to not try...from experience....crazy print one piece rompers. Ummm yea I refused to come out of the dressing room! It was really cute...but not for someone with hips & butt! :frown:
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love maxi skirts that sit on my hips.