Weight Loss Sabotage

Options
So, I think my husband is sabotaging me, and he is resentful that I think so. And I'm not really sure what to do about it.

He's constantly criticizing how I work out and trying to take control of my workouts. If I want to go for a walk, say around the neighborhood, he'll stop me and say "let me come with you." Okay, fine, but then that means we have to take DS4 with us, who doesn't walk very fast. Then he decides he doesn't like where I want to walk so he'll suggest we take a walk somewhere else that he does like. This usually means we have to drive and I have to now provide water and snacks for DS4. I don't eat the snacks, but the prep time, driving, etc., takes twice to three times as long as if I'd just gone for a walk around the neighborhood. When we do this we don't walk very fast so I'm not really burning any calories. It goes from being a workout to a nice evening stroll. It's relaxing but counter productive.

When I say I don't want to do that or suggest an alternative he'll turn his nose up and sometimes he'll simply leave me with DS4 and drive off by himself to go on the walk he wanted to. I'm then forced to either forget the walk or haul DS4 around in the wagon. I can do that, except that of course DS4 wants to get out of the wagon and explore and walk himself. He also likes to pull the wagon. I actually love doing that stuff with him, but when I'm tring to get exercise in it's counter productive.

I've tried joining several gyms. He hates gyms and thinks they're a waste of time and money. According to him I should just be able to ride my bike, go for a walk, etc., and get just as much or more exercise. Except that of course every time I try he either sabotages it or tries to take control of the outing. I also cannot complain about the gym at all, ever. If I have any complaints he instantly starts badgering me to quit. The last gym I went to, he act hurt and upset that I was going to work out and then would badger me about when I was going to be home. I always felt so pressured that eventually I gave it up.

I've recently joined a new gym that is close to our house. I've been going at night after I get done with work, dinner, dishes, and get DS4 to bed. So far DH has been great. He's been finishing up dishes and helping to get DS4 ready for bed. But just yesterday he invited someone over for dinner without asking me about it first. It was my workout day yesterday and he knew it.

I've tried talking to him about this but whenever I bring it up he gets really upset and stonewalls the conversation. He tells me on one hand that he wants me to be healthy and lose weight, but his actions are saying something altogether different to me.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this obstacle, as its hard enough to grab at motivation and go without it.I don't think he's intentionally sabotaging you, but he sounds a little controlling. You have to just be assertive and do your own thing. If you've got a set gym time, then you should just let him deal with the company until you're finished. Sounds like you are going to have to take the upper hand here. Same with your walks; when he wants to go just tell him you would be happy for him to go with you when you get back from yours (he can spend the time getting the things ready for the little one).
    Best of luck
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you have tried the softly softly, I think it would be time to get more direct and forceful. Perhaps if you set aside some time on the calendar specifically for you, with the pointed comment that he has to entertain himself and DS4. He can't have his cake and eat it, and I think you need to make it clear to him. He won't like it, but unless you set up some ground rules, this isn't going to change. By the same token you could also set aside some time to be with him as an olive branch.

That would be my opinion for what it's worth - I hope it is helpful!
  • dovepair
    Options
    I like the calendar idea. We do spend regular time together, but maybe I could set aside time on the calendar just for us as well. Then he could see where we spend time together. Great idea. Thanks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just break up. He's not worth it.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So if he wants to come walking why does that mean YOU have to do the prep work for DS4?

Likewise if HE invites somebody for dinner why does that obligate YOU to prepare a meal and skip the gym?

I know that everybody is different, but that would not fly in my house, my wife would likely kick me in the nether regions! lol
  • IPJ1205
    IPJ1205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am sorry your going through this. I have been through a similar situation with my family. My solution to this was to designate a day that we could do walks together; where they want, when they want. This was a win-win, because I still got and extra active day.

However, I explained the importance of not only using my walk days to get healthy but for also getting my much needed 'me time'. It takes a lot to maintain a healthy balance as a wife, mother, employee, sister, aunt, etc. Getting in a walk or any other physical activity, helps with that.

Explaining it this way really helped and because they still are able to participate on an alternated day, it worked out well. Hope this helps
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    take care of yourself. Say I am walking by myself, I need time to myself, I am going to the gym, give me a hard time about it and I will go more often or stay longer. I am eating healthy, grilled chicken, salad, or whatever and say ya can eat it also or he can fix dinner. Yep, be assertive. A neighbor just called asking my hubby to come down and bring 1/2 a pizza home and I said I don't think so. You go eat it if you want (he doesn't need it either). Seems like saying No comes easier the older we get.