share a vegetarian meal plan!

Options
I started dieting again a couple weeks ago and the last few days I've been out of control. :( I kept munching on chips and Oreos, even though I wasn't hungry. I'm a broke college kid, so I don't have any fruits or vegetables currently. :-/ But can anyone share their vegetarian meal plans with me - recipes, too, please!

It's so much easier when I know what I'm going to be eating later and don't have to make a last-minute decision on some food I'm craving. Thanks, guys!

Replies

• jayem07
    jayem07 Posts: 17
    Options
    hey! I am also a vegetarian broke college student :-) Some of the main things i eat are greek yogurt w/ granola or walnuts, i love kashi granola bars, I always have almonds and those quakes rice cake things to munch on. For lunch I love hummus on pita bread with cucumbers or pickles. For dinner I eat a lot of canned soup like black bean, lentil, or split pea (ones that have more protein). Hope that helps! Are you in a dorm or do you have a kitchen you can cook in?
  • sweetandsol
    sweetandsol Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I usually make a grain based salad on Sunday to have in the fridge all week as an easy go to for lunches and dinners.

something like these are easy recipes to start from and substitue to fit what's in the pantry or the food budget for the week.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/vegetarian/recipe-cous-cous-salad-with-winter-squash-and-cranberries-043717
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Barley-Salad-With-Almonds-And-Apricots/Detail.aspx

hope this helps.
  • rinangel
    Options
    Ok, I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have a great lunch salad that is packed full of goodies and fills me up cause it's hearty too.

1 cup cucumber - chopped
    12 grape tomatoes
    6-8 large black olives - halved
    one slice of red onion - minced
    1/4 cup low sodium garbanzo beans
    1/4 of a bell pepper - prefer the red/yellow/orange kind - chopped

mix all these with salt, pepper and garlic powder (or any garlic you prefer) and lime juice. Then take 1/4 avocado, chopped into small pieces and mix into salad with a drizzle of sesame oil. If you don't have sesame, use olive, although the sesame has such a flavor to it you really only need to use a drizzle instead. Incorporate all these together very well and enjoy!

of course, with anything, you can mix things up with something different or use more or less of an ingredient. :happy:
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was a broke vegetarian college student too last year! For my dinners I would make a big batch of vegetables at the beginning of the week (peppers, onions, zucchini, squash,etc..) and sautee them (you could probably steam them too) and then I would take out a different portion every night and make different dinners with them. Some nights I would make some rice and add soy sauce to it to make my own "fried" rice.. other nights I would add hot sauce and make fajitas.. or add with pasta and have a primavera or add tomato sauce for another meal. I personally never got tired of the veggies, I would still eat them everyday if I wasn't back at home! I know fresh veggies are expensive, but frozen veggies are good too and just as healthy usually! For protein you could get some morning star or boca veggie products too, I love the chic'n patties! Hope this helps!
  • kfuentes
    Options
    I did the Ladder #2 meal plan last year as a cleanse and loved it. It is a Vegan diet recipe book. While I dont do this very often now, the best recipe I found to come out of it was for tostadas and I make them all the time still. It is easy to make and most of the foods needed can be stored or purchased in small amounts so nothing goes to waste and you are not burning money.

Start with corn tortillas and spread mashed black beans on them. Sprinkle a little cheese (of your choice, but dont overload) and then put them in the oven on a baking sheet and bake till the cheese is melted and the tortillas is crisp. After that top with any veggies you like. The book recommends lettuce, cilanto, tomatos, fresh avacado and salsa. Other veggies I have experimented with are grilled onions, and peppers and corn.

This is really a receipe that you can make your own using different tortillas, any choice of bean, and veggie. Enjoy!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian either, but I eat a ton of frozen vegetables when they aren't in season. My grocery store often has the "steamers" on sale 10 for $10. I like to take the broccoli and cheese and mix it with 1 serving of whole wheat rotini for a giant bowl of mac and cheese with not too many calories. It's pretty cheap too. You could do this with any of the veggies with sauce and even swap the pasta for whole grain rice for a filling meal.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Here is my veggy meal plan,,,,,,, take a cow, feed it grass, butcher cow, eat cow. Sorry I'm in a smart*** moooooooood.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here is my veggy meal plan,,,,,,, take a cow, feed it grass, butcher cow, eat cow. Sorry I'm in a smart*** moooooooood.

I don't think it's a smart *kitten* mood but a rude and uncalled for comment by someone who doesn't understand that not everyone wants to eat meat who just wanted to be a typical opinion pushing jerk.

As for the OP, Here is a sample frugal meal plan.

* Monday: Zucchini Fritters, Apple Slices, and Mixed Green Salad
    * Tuesday: Broiled Polenta with Mushroom Ragout (Buy cremeni mushrooms, if on sale. If not, regular button mushrooms will work great. And to frugally substitute for the goat cheese: Kraft’s parmesan-romano grated cheese sprinkled on top works great!)
    * Wednesday: Tofu & Bok Choy stir fry served over white rice
    * Thursday: Tomato & Garlic Pasta, garlic bread,and a mixed green salad
    * Friday: Veggie Pizza (ordered) with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and black olives.
    * Saturday: Baked potato topped with chili & sourcream, sliced tomatoes with olive oil and cracked black pepper, and mixed greens salad.

http://thefrugalvegan.wordpress.com/ has some great recipes. You could probably google meal plan monday, frugal vegetarian meal planning, etc. My internet isn't working too correctly tonight otherwise I would help out more. When I get a chance I'll upload the PDF of the book for College Vegans.
  • NykoleMazzola
    Options
    wow thanks for all the great ideas!
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been lacto-ovo veg for about 4 1/2 years and have found a nice balanced diet that seems to work well for my active lifestyle. Recipes would be way too crazy to post a bunch of here, but many awesome vegetarian and vegan blogs can be found with extensive recipe information. Some of my favorites are:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
    http://thriftyliving.net/
    http://www.meettheshannons.net/p/betty-crocker-project.html
    http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
    http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/

Eating vegetarian is not about restriction, it's about creativity. It's really, really easy to eat an unhealthy vegetarian diet. It really challenges you to be creative in substitutes and flavor enhancers that are still healthy. Some general pointers:

1) Fall in love the beans. Beans of all sorts are amazing lean protein, low calorie, high fiber, and super versatile. I throw a handful of frozen lima beans into my onions and mushrooms with omelettes or scrambled eggs. I soak and crockpot them into chili, spaghetti sauce, burrito filling, or pulse them with parsley, quinoa, and garlic for awesome burgers.

2) Frozen veggies are your friend. Many veggies are equally nutritious frozen as they are flash frozen at peak ripeness. Corn, peas, bell peppers, cauliflower, and green beans are ALWAYS in my freezer. They really reduce cooking prep time and for me, that's essential.

3) Be creative with sauces. Plain yogurt can serve as a base for a million sauces. From creamy garlic dill (just add dried dill and garlic powder), spicy chili lime (a little sriracha and lime juice), or even add garam masala for a cool Indian dip. Also things like fat-free sour cream, hot sauce, and vinegar are all low (or no) calorie flavor enhancers that are generally low in sodium.

4) Take risks with recipes. Buy a new vegetable and try something fun. Pick a grain you've never had and look up a traditional recipe. Cooking is so fun when you're not afraid of the outcome. What's the worst that can happen? You make something you don't want to eat again. My love of jicama, quinoa, polenta, turnips, and spaghetti squash are all attributed to this technique.

5) Avoid prepared meals whenever you can. That Lean Cuisine may only have 400 calories, but it is neither filling nor nutritious. Check out the nutrition on those things before buying. Any idea about the number of calories in zucchini, spinach, bell pepper, and basil? Negligible. And if you throw a teaspoon of low-sodium soy, a tablespoon of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of sriracha, and a quarter cup of water, you've just made delicious Thai-inspired veggies to throw on a grain of your choice or simply enjoy as is. Also, <500mg of sodium and probably 300-400 calories.

Most of all, enjoy how your body feels when you give it what it wants. We condition ourselves to "need" animal protein as if it somehow is necessary. We can get so much more from a vegetarian lifestyle while losing so much we don't want (depression, addiction, and 135lbs. for me so far). Embrace the simplicity and freedom that is your produce section =)
  • freerange
    Options

I don't think it's a smart *kitten* mood but a rude and uncalled for comment by someone who doesn't understand that not everyone wants to eat meat who just wanted to be a typical opinion pushing jerk.

As for the OP, Here is a sample frugal meal plan.

* Monday: Zucchini Fritters, Apple Slices, and Mixed Green Salad
    * Tuesday: Broiled Polenta with Mushroom Ragout (Buy cremeni mushrooms, if on sale. If not, regular button mushrooms will work great. And to frugally substitute for the goat cheese: Kraft’s parmesan-romano grated cheese sprinkled on top works great!)
    * Wednesday: Tofu & Bok Choy stir fry served over white rice
    * Thursday: Tomato & Garlic Pasta, garlic bread,and a mixed green salad
    * Friday: Veggie Pizza (ordered) with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and black olives.
    * Saturday: Baked potato topped with chili & sourcream, sliced tomatoes with olive oil and cracked black pepper, and mixed greens salad.

http://thefrugalvegan.wordpress.com/ has some great recipes. You could probably google meal plan monday, frugal vegetarian meal planning, etc. My internet isn't working too correctly tonight otherwise I would help out more. When I get a chance I'll upload the PDF of the book for College Vegans.

Lighten up it was a joke,,,,,,, U must be a veggi too :)
  • Sirenism
    Options

I don't consider it a joke but rather a jab at a vegetarian who was asking for help. A jab that says, "**** that you're so wrong. Just eat meat". It's rude and intolerant to the life choices of another.

To answer your last statement, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm a Flexitarian, a diet that consists mostly of vegetarian foods but I do eat meat on occasion.
  • Sirenism
    Options
    I've been lacto-ovo veg for about 4 1/2 years and have found a nice balanced diet that seems to work well for my active lifestyle. Recipes would be way too crazy to post a bunch of here, but many awesome vegetarian and vegan blogs can be found with extensive recipe information. Some of my favorites are:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
    http://thriftyliving.net/
    http://www.meettheshannons.net/p/betty-crocker-project.html
    http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
    http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/

Eating vegetarian is not about restriction, it's about creativity. It's really, really easy to eat an unhealthy vegetarian diet. It really challenges you to be creative in substitutes and flavor enhancers that are still healthy. Some general pointers:

1) Fall in love the beans. Beans of all sorts are amazing lean protein, low calorie, high fiber, and super versatile. I throw a handful of frozen lima beans into my onions and mushrooms with omelettes or scrambled eggs. I soak and crockpot them into chili, spaghetti sauce, burrito filling, or pulse them with parsley, quinoa, and garlic for awesome burgers.

2) Frozen veggies are your friend. Many veggies are equally nutritious frozen as they are flash frozen at peak ripeness. Corn, peas, bell peppers, cauliflower, and green beans are ALWAYS in my freezer. They really reduce cooking prep time and for me, that's essential.

3) Be creative with sauces. Plain yogurt can serve as a base for a million sauces. From creamy garlic dill (just add dried dill and garlic powder), spicy chili lime (a little sriracha and lime juice), or even add garam masala for a cool Indian dip. Also things like fat-free sour cream, hot sauce, and vinegar are all low (or no) calorie flavor enhancers that are generally low in sodium.

4) Take risks with recipes. Buy a new vegetable and try something fun. Pick a grain you've never had and look up a traditional recipe. Cooking is so fun when you're not afraid of the outcome. What's the worst that can happen? You make something you don't want to eat again. My love of jicama, quinoa, polenta, turnips, and spaghetti squash are all attributed to this technique.

5) Avoid prepared meals whenever you can. That Lean Cuisine may only have 400 calories, but it is neither filling nor nutritious. Check out the nutrition on those things before buying. Any idea about the number of calories in zucchini, spinach, bell pepper, and basil? Negligible. And if you throw a teaspoon of low-sodium soy, a tablespoon of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of sriracha, and a quarter cup of water, you've just made delicious Thai-inspired veggies to throw on a grain of your choice or simply enjoy as is. Also, <500mg of sodium and probably 300-400 calories.

Most of all, enjoy how your body feels when you give it what it wants. We condition ourselves to "need" animal protein as if it somehow is necessary. We can get so much more from a vegetarian lifestyle while losing so much we don't want (depression, addiction, and 135lbs. for me so far). Embrace the simplicity and freedom that is your produce section =)

These are some great tips and websites! Thank you!
  • freerange
    Options

I don't consider it a joke but rather a jab at a vegetarian who was asking for help. A jab that says, "**** that you're so wrong. Just eat meat". It's rude and intolerant to the life choices of another.

To answer your last statement, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm a Flexitarian, a diet that consists mostly of vegetarian foods but I do eat meat on occasion.

Well I can't control what you read into my post,,,, Have a nice day and I hope you hit all your goals and have a great life.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    lots of helpful ideas :)