Weird that I wish ppl (my students) wouldn't notice me?

Options
ajff
ajff Posts: 986 Member
I have been losing weight since April.
I teach high school, so I have done much work over the summer and really look different from last semester (and I still have a long way to go).

The adults in my life had made positive, tasteful comments regarding my weight loss - all appreciated, all in a 1:1 setting.

But now, I am heading back to school. Today I stopped by Subway to grab lunch and 2 students were working; both going to be seniors. One gave me a hug and said "I thought that was you! You have lost some weight!" and the other said I looked very good.

I know. I should be flattered. And they are sincere, lovely kids. But I am suddenly nervous to return to school and be at the center of attention. I just wish I could be invisible, teach, and not have anyone notice me! How weird is that???? Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• nessa3983
    Options
    I don't think its weird, its how you should be. It would be weird if you wanted your students attention and compliments. Maybe if you don't acknowledge it too much, just a quick and dry thanks, then the newness of your weight loss will pass. Congrats!!
  • livingforjesus90
    Options
    You should be happy about people noticing :) I'm sure it's not gonna be as bad as u think. And plus, it's better than people saying look she GAINED weight :) have a good semester
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Haha! I have the same problem! Everyone at school keeps mentioning that I look slimmer or good and it used to bug me because I didn't know what to do. Now I just smile and say thanks, maybe mention that I'm jogging more or something like that and quickly continue the conversation. You're feeling totally normal, just relax and have a great semester. Congrats on all your hard work paying off!
  • breakingfitter
    Options
    It's very hard for some people to take compliments (myself included). I'm not sure why that is, perhaps it's our culture, we want to be modest and attention is seen as us being selfish or egotistical. It could be because as overweight people, we are uncomfortable with attention as it is often negative. It's a process to get to a healthy place with self-esteem and accepting nice things being said, but not making a huge deal of it. I've found that smiling, warming saying thank you is enough.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks all. I guess it is good to know that this is normal. Still would like an invisibility cloak.... but I do miss my students and am excited to see them again!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, the comments are great. It's so much work and it's nice to have people notice! It's also so flattering to hear how much better I look.

Other times, it's a reminder of how bad I used to look. Or a reminder of how far I have to go before I'm skinny. Yeah, I've lost 65 pounds and I'm still really fat. I was pretty disgusting before, wasn't i? Kind of depressing, lol.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you an art teacher?? So am I. Enjoy the compliments, you worked hard to get where you are, be proud--and congrats!
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! The first week back will probably be weird, but after that the kids will be so wrapped up in their own "stuff" that you'll be able to just do your thing. Enjoy the compliments!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be very proud and happy to show it off, you deserve it!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    You sound like a great role model for your students. I would love my son to have you as a teacher. I would just sincerely say thank you and if you want to add that you feel great, and leave it at that. You have no idea how you are influencing kids who are dealing with issues ... And some may look back and remember you when they are older and perhaps overweight and recall that nice teacher who lost weight and perhaps give them some hope for their own life. Take care.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Not weird. Teachers are role models and they don't like it when their mere humanity shows through.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't really want anyone to comment on my weight loss
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You are setting a great example by becoming more healthy.....you may be able to turn it into a brief teachable moment.:flowerforyou: