Replies

• evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello, newbie here. I couldn't help but respond to this post. I love oatmeal! The instant/packaged stuff is definitely like paste....yuck! I use regular oats and add either berries and almonds or apples and walnuts, along with brown sugar or maple syrup. (I don't do chemical sweeteners. You could substitute the sweetener of your choice.) Cooking the oats with a scoop of canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice is great and tastes like pumpkin pie!

I've been making the carrot cake oatmeal from Ohn She Glows a lot lately....you make the oats with shredded carrots (not quick-cooking or instant, just regular oats) and coconut milk and lots of spices. Top with crushed walnuts and maple syrup.....so good!
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love pretty much all oatmeal, but the other night I added Cocoa powder and a dash of Splenda to it and made chocolate oatmeal - it filled me up and killed my chocolate craving! Cocoa is supposed to be VERY good fro you. :) Good Luck!
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    I'm not a fan of rolled oats (that's what Quaker oats are) because of the texture.

Have you tried steel cut oats? They have all of the same nutritional benefits as rolled oats, but with a chewier texture.

I've seen them sold at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Trust me -- steel cut oats are where it's at. I'm a HUGE oatmeal fan now.