Down 50 lbs, but advice wanted :)

Options
sdort156
sdort156 Posts: 20 Member
Hi all! This is my first time to post, though I've read a lot of the posts on here before. I've been a member of MFP for awhile but didn't actually start consistently logging until March. Since then I've lost 50 pounds! I went from a size 18 to a very tight size 10 but too loose size 12. Sometimes I don't see the changes at all, but I definitely feel better. My journey started out of spite when I learned my husband was cheating on me. Now it's totally for myself and being healthy.

That being said, I feel like it's getting harder to lose weight and exercise! I started at 206- the highest I've ever been in my life. My goal is to get to at least 145. It was so much easier when I started because I had such bad habits that I dropped quick. Now I'm struggling to keep losing weight. If anyone can help me figure out how many calories I should be eating, I'd really appreciate it! I'm 5'5 and 23 years old. I'm at 155 right now. Also, any tips on getting into weight lifting? My main exercise has been walking, which I really love. But it has been *so* hot here and I get bored with indoor exercise tapes. I'm on my feet all day at my job and I work with kids so I usually get some exercise there. I know I should be incorporating strength training, but gyms make me so self-conscious. Add the fact that I'm working and going to school for my Master's and it's so easy to find excuses not to.

I don't know how to post pictures, but I have some on my page! I honestly never, ever figured I would have a "success story". I've been overweight my whole life and had such bad nutritional habits ever since I was a kid. I love this site and all the posts here, even though I've just been a "lurker" up till now :)

Replies

• Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go to scobbysworkshop.com to get the calculation for your stats you have on here. I have been told to do this by many others in the past. I stick to a pretty strict 1220 calories a day menu and exercise (walk) anywhere from 40-60 minutes a day. I am much older than you and I lose anywhere from 1-2 pounds a week doing this. I also update every couple of weeks if I have lost more than 5 pounds.

I too have been at this since 2012 and fell off hard October 2013 and didnt get back to it until April this year. So I know how you feel. You have to remember, this is not a race and the slower the loss the longer you will keep it off, more than likely forever. It is a learing process we all have to give into and really live it to have it work. I have a whole lot of weight left to lose and I am def not an expert at this. But I have had some ups and downs and the ups far outway the downs.

Keep up the good work and keep positive as your attitude will really influence your weight loss.
  • sdort156
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I just fed up with all the numbers and I never really know what I'm supposed to be at. Eat near BMR, anything under TDEE but above BMR, exercise calories? I don't know! And I get different numbers with different sites. I will check out the one you recommended though! Thank you for the advice. I still have a lot of work left as well, but you're right saying the ups are definitely worth it :)

Ps, if anybody would like another friend, I could use some motivated people to follow! :)
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Losing 50lbs is great. Don't let slow progress get you discouraged.

Btw I've gone from an 18w/20 to a size 12 but like you, sometimes I just don't see the change. My waist is down 6 inches but there are times that I look at my stomach and it still looks the same to me.
  • TamraJeanShea
    TamraJeanShea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all! This is my first time to post, though I've read a lot of the posts on here before. I've been a member of MFP for awhile but didn't actually start consistently logging until March. Since then I've lost 50 pounds! I went from a size 18 to a very tight size 10 but too loose size 12. Sometimes I don't see the changes at all, but I definitely feel better. My journey started out of spite when I learned my husband was cheating on me. Now it's totally for myself and being healthy.

That being said, I feel like it's getting harder to lose weight and exercise! I started at 206- the highest I've ever been in my life. My goal is to get to at least 145. It was so much easier when I started because I had such bad habits that I dropped quick. Now I'm struggling to keep losing weight. If anyone can help me figure out how many calories I should be eating, I'd really appreciate it! I'm 5'5 and 23 years old. I'm at 155 right now. Also, any tips on getting into weight lifting? My main exercise has been walking, which I really love. But it has been *so* hot here and I get bored with indoor exercise tapes. I'm on my feet all day at my job and I work with kids so I usually get some exercise there. I know I should be incorporating strength training, but gyms make me so self-conscious. Add the fact that I'm working and going to school for my Master's and it's so easy to find excuses not to.

I don't know how to post pictures, but I have some on my page! I honestly never, ever figured I would have a "success story". I've been overweight my whole life and had such bad nutritional habits ever since I was a kid. I love this site and all the posts here, even though I've just been a "lurker" up till now :)
    I have been doing the tone it up girls, they have utube videos , they use weights and it really gets your cardio up. I walk in the winter and now in the dog days of summer I workout in front of the TV. I also practice yoga to keep my muscles stretched and for stress reduction
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you have the option of getting some dumbbells, I have really loved Chalean Extreme. It's a series of videos that guides you through learning how to use them and your body weight to build muscle. No gym needed (though weights can be expensive, depending on how many you need). It progresses at a great pace and you can learn the correct technique as well.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    It most certainly gets harder to get your sweat on as you get closer to your goal. The secret is to keep persisting on. Add new activities, switch it up here and there. I also love walking and its hot as hell here in Florida. My newest solution to that is to get up earlier and get out before it is light out to go do my walks. By the time I complete my five miles, its only like 7:30 or 8 and if I leave an hour earlier I can get done by 7 no problem. You just have to make the time and the effort. Try upping that walking into jogging intervals so you can shorten your time and still burn the same calories. It helps me. I also added biking recently. Just remember that you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. Congrats on the weight loss. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you enter your numbers on the ScoobyWorkshop site, it'll give you some numbers. 'Your Projected Weight Loss and Metabolic Rate"

This is how I use the numbers…

I try not to go under my BMI. Most of the time it isn't even an issue for me :laugh:

Your TDEE is the calories you need to eat to stay right where you are right now. Mine is 2284. If I eat that, I'll maintain my current weight. But I want to lose some so….

The last number it gives you is based on what you set as your goal. I set mine to Lose Fat with a 20% calorie reduction from my TDEE. (TDEE - 20%) My daily goal is 1827.

Since it already asked you how active you are in step 5…the calories it gives you are what you should be eating. You don't have to figure out how much you've burned, eating back calories, etc, it's already been figured out for you.

If I have a crazy busy day, I will eat over my calories and it'll be OK. Through several sites like Scooby, I know that if I burn over 300 calories in class I have a little room to go over.

You're getting close to your goal, so it'll be more difficult. Just change things up. Find something that interests you and go for it! I've always like kickboxing. I started 6 years ago and fell in love it with! They also teach karate, so I tried a few classes, just to see if I like it . I just earned my 12th belt this past Monday :happy: Don't be self conscious at the gym. I've found that people there are generally really helpful and friendly. They're there to get healthy and strong, too. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • sdort156
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!! I really appreciate it! I will definitely be looking up the Scooby website and the video suggestions. I have a few dumbbells and exercise ball- I'd much rather work out at home if I can! I think I'm just worried about using bad technique. Have you had this issue with at home videos?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!