P90X vs. Insanity

Options
I have been doing P90X with my boyfriend, and completed week 4. I have to drive to his house to use the dvds and equiptment, and lately it has been cold and snowy.....So today I ordered Insanity, so I could have a different workout available and more convenient to use at my house.

Has anyone tried the Insanity workout? Just wondered what people thought of the dvds...

Replies

• loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    LOVE Insanity! It is a tough workout, but it works. I did 2 rounds of it last year and had great results with it.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a completely different type of program from P90X. I can honestly say that it is also the most challenging fitness program I have ever done in my life. I will get you in tremendous cardiovascular shape whereas P90X is geared more for overall strength training with some cardio thrown in.

The key to being successful with Insanity, though, is that you follow the program through for 60 days. I feel that to just do random Insanity workouts, because they are so hard, would leave one feeling a bit defeated. If you follow the 60 days, while you still feel as though your butt is busted every single day, when you do your two week fitness checks, you SEE the progress you're making in the program whereas when you're in the midst of it all, trying to see if your left lung is still functioning, I felt so out of shape. Granted, I was making progress, but when you're wheezing on the floor, it's hard to see it. The fit tests SHOWED me I was making progress.

That said, it's hard. I think just the warm-up is hard...made me yearn for something easier, like PlyoX!
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    From what I understand, Insanity is really quite a notch up from P90X - P90X is rough enough, so if you can keep up with either of them, that's great!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity!!!!!!!!!

It is tough. It will make you sweat. It will kick your butt. You will want to quit. But you get the BEST feeling in the world when you make it through the workout. I have to modify a couple of the moves and I have to slowdown in some spots because i can't keep up with Shaun T. But they tell you the whole time, "go at your own pace and don't sacrifice form for speed."

I love it.FYI, it is easier to get through it when you know someone else who is doing it too.
    Also, go by the 60 day plan and don't just pick random workouts or use it as a filler. If you are planning on doing it, you really do need to be dedicated.
  • bustacapps
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Sounds like Insanity will be a challenge, and I am totally up for it!

@glfprncs2 - Thanks for the info, I think I will take your advice and do the entire 60 day work out instead of using them randomly. I am excited about the dvds, and I need to work on my cardio.
  • bustacapps
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity!!!!!!!!!

It is tough. It will make you sweat. It will kick your butt. You will want to quit. But you get the BEST feeling in the world when you make it through the workout. I have to modify a couple of the moves and I have to slowdown in some spots because i can't keep up with Shaun T. But they tell you the whole time, "go at your own pace and don't sacrifice form for speed."

I love it.FYI, it is easier to get through it when you know someone else who is doing it too.
    Also, go by the 60 day plan and don't just pick random workouts or use it as a filler. If you are planning on doing it, you really do need to be dedicated.

How long have you been doing it?
  • newmeat30
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing it for a 1 1/2 weeks (I know that doesn't sound like much) and I am already seeing noticable differences and my cardio endurance has increased dramatically. When I first started, just the warm up alone was enough to make me want to throw-up, but now I'm getting through it without wanting to fall on the floor. It is a GREAT workout! You'll love it. :)
  • bustacapps
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing it for a 1 1/2 weeks (I know that doesn't sound like much) and I am already seeing noticable differences and my cardio endurance has increased dramatically. When I first started, just the warm up alone was enough to make me want to throw-up, but now I'm getting through it without wanting to fall on the floor. It is a GREAT workout! You'll love it. :)

That's awesome! I am glad you are seeing results! I sent you an add request...
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE insanity! Everyone is right you have to stick with the schedule!! I've had some great results so far (I have two weeks left to go) and I plan on continuing insanity when I'm done, along with P90X and some turbo fire!

Even though I'm almost done my first round, I still go at my own pace, take breaks, and modify a couple moves!

Highly recommended!!!
  • newmeat30
    Options
    I love love LOVE insanity! Everyone is right you have to stick with the schedule!! I've had some great results so far (I have two weeks left to go) and I plan on continuing insanity when I'm done, along with P90X and some turbo fire!

Even though I'm almost done my first round, I still go at my own pace, take breaks, and modify a couple moves!

Highly recommended!!!

mirah's my hero! Thanks to her, I'm doing Insantiy in the first place! :bigsmile:
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I LOVE insanity! I'm in the middle of my 4th week (almost done month 1!) and I'm so excited but so nervous to start on month 2. I agree abou the warmup being very intense the first couple weeks, and then to do a workout after that seemed near impossible. I can assure you that even though you feel like death, you will feel your cardio improve as long as you dig deeper.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Highly recommended!!!

mirah's my hero! Thanks to her, I'm doing Insantiy in the first place! :bigsmile:

Aw Vic you're too sweet, but it was all you! ;)
  • bustacapps
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I received an email stating it shipped today, I can't wait to try it!
  • penne356
    Options
    I love Insanity and I'm on my last week! Let me tell you, I took me wayyyy more than 60 days to complete this program however, it's all worth it! My body is in the best shape ever. I don't even like any other workout dvds beside Insanity which makes me kinda sad as I have no idea what I'll be doing next. Perhaps an Insanity/Turbo-fire hybrid!

I really recommend Insanity!