Carbs, how many

Options
Wondering how many carbs you all are taking in? I have been so consumed with paying attention to my calories and pts, but just realized I am getting a lot of carbs, although I dont know really what alot actually is. I added a banana 27 carbs, a orange 19, and a apple for 22 this morning, and although I know all of these things are good for me who knew they had carbs in them. I just averaged my carbs for the last 4 days and have been getting about 164. Good, Bad or indifferent??

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100 carbs a day. It's important your carbs come primarily from fresh vegetables & fruit.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    People tend to forget, you NEED carbs for survival. It's about finding the right carbs. My carb allowance for the day is like 225g. I eat whole grain breads, whole grain muffins, whole grain pasta, fruit and vegetables. Those are all the right carbs.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Grain spikes insulin, causing one to crave more carbs, and spike more insulin. Eliminate grains from your diet (allowing rice sparingly), and you'll be a lot healthier & in control of your diet.

If you absolutely can't part with bread, try to limit one's daily intake of carbs to 150 or less.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I never paid attention to carbs until I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Then, I learned that I was taking in way too many carbs, and getting them from the wrong sources. We need carbs for energy, but not from sugar and processed starches. My nutritionist recommended that I try to consume NO MORE THAN 200 g of carbs per day. Also, try to get your carbs from natural foods, fruits and whole grains. I stopped drinking sodas and other sugary foods and drinks, and tried to cut out a lot of processed foods which add a lot of sugar and refined starches.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    We need carbs for energy, but not from sugar and processed starches.

Thank you! And good job on your committment to your health. I'm T2 diabetic, too. In the last couple months I've managed to get off of my insulin, and I'm ready to get off of metformin, too (going to discuss it with my doc at my regular 3 month checkup next month). I've been able to do it by limiting my carbs and eating smart.

and just because you may or may not have a metabolic disease, don't think you get away with higher carb. It's just not healthy, dude.
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Rats, I wish my husband was home. I agree that bread has a lot of carbs that is why I got excited when My husband told me about an article about Ezekiel 4:9 bread. It is pricey but it is made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains. It has very low sodium and 0 sugars. The carbs in it does not react as does the other breads that are refined. If my husband was home I could site you the verse, :P But the taste is bland and takes getting use to.
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    OOOPs I meant article not verse, sorry!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We need carbs for energy, but not from sugar and processed starches.

Thank you! And good job on your committment to your health. I'm T2 diabetic, too. In the last couple months I've managed to get off of my insulin, and I'm ready to get off of metformin, too (going to discuss it with my doc at my regular 3 month checkup next month). I've been able to do it by limiting my carbs and eating smart.

and just because you may or may not have a metabolic disease, don't think you get away with higher carb. It's just not healthy, dude.

Thanks!!! My goal is to be able to come off my diabetes and high blood pressure medications too!!! Just getting started, but I expect to be able to stop taking the meds completely by the end of this year.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    A dietician told me not to go over 15 "carbs" per day, and that when reading labels, 15 grams = 1 carb. So basically, if reading labels, keep your total carbs under 225 per day.

Following this advice, and writing down everything I ate, I lost about 70 pounds in 15 months. Have regained about 15, and am working to re-lose 10-12 of them.

K
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Cut down to 100 carbs a day or less, and you will probably keep the weight off more permanantly. Get rid of grains and bread.
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Rats, I wish my husband was home. I agree that bread has a lot of carbs that is why I got excited when My husband told me about an article about Ezekiel 4:9 bread. It is pricey but it is made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains. It has very low sodium and 0 sugars. The carbs in it does not react as does the other breads that are refined. If my husband was home I could site you the verse, :P But the taste is bland and takes getting use to.

Ezekiel Bread is awesome!! It is sorta pricey at like 6-7 bucks a loaf and you do have to eat it several times to get used to it...there are like 4 flavors I believe...I like the cinnamon raisin but have had all of them. They are EXTREMELY high in protein so if you are having a problem getting protein in...problem solved! I switch back and forth between Ezekiel and 100% whole grain wheat depending on if I'm broke or not! Hahahaha....

Very good stuff...and I would recommend everyone giving it a try! :)
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    40% protein, 30% Carbs 30% Fat

or 40/40/20

Example: 1200 calories for a women

1200 x 40% = 480 Protein calories - 480/4 calories= 120 grams of Protein

1200 x .30 = 360 Carb Calories - 360/4= 90 grams of carbs

1200 x.30= 360 fat calories - 360/9 calories per gram of fat= 40 grams of fat.

protein, carbs, and fat can co-exist. timing is key and preparation.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 cals a day or less and do the 40 carb 40 protein, 20 fats

My carb are never more than 100 gms per day
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm following a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fat with 30 g fiber goal.
    My carb sources are mainly veggies, fruits, oatmeal, flaxseed, wasa crispbreads.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and was given lots of good info from my doc to get things under control with diet rather than going on meds. The American Diabetes Association says that 15 carbs equal one serving. They recommend having 3 servings of carbs with each meal and one serving of carbs with snacks. (45 carbs at every meal and 15 carbs with snacks) Depending on the amount of exercise I have done, I will adjust that number. If there is little to no exercise, I keep it at 45 per meal. If I have been burning lots of calories from exercise I will increase the carbs to 60 and sometimes 75. Usually I keep it between 50-65 per meal. I must be doing something right because I have brought my A1C down from 6.7 to 5.9. I am no longer considered pre-diabetic but I know now that this will be a lifetime battle so will continue to keep doing what I am doing to maintain a healthy A1C!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am trying to limit my carbs a little, and average about 140 a day. I tend to get rather grumpy when I go below 100. My boyfriend appreciates my efforts. :laugh:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I am trying to limit my carbs a little, and average about 140 a day. I tend to get rather grumpy when I go below 100. My boyfriend appreciates my efforts. :laugh:

It's called carb flu, and its your body's way of detoxing you from carbs. 50-100 carbs a day with a high protein & fat ratio will get the pounds off.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

It's called carb flu, and its your body's way of detoxing you from carbs. 50-100 carbs a day with a high protein & fat ratio will get the pounds off.

My guy calls it "b!tch mode" and tells me to go eat a piece of toast. lol I have cut my breads down considerably, and now use the multigrain type thin sliced, but still like my old fashioned oats in the mornings. I am using the 40/30/30, very seldom hit the 40% on the carbs. 49 lost with MFP, 57 total since mid july, so I don't think I am doing too bad.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Try to get all of your carbs from vegetables & fruit. Eliminate all grains. You'll be healthier for it, trust me (personal experience here)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was told you have to have a least 120 for maintaining a healthy brain, which at my age trust me, it's a goal. Also fast burning carbs should be had occasionally but slow burning carbs are good to keep you full. Fruit are fast burning, oh but taste so good. I stay around 90 to 170 and try to never go above 200, don't always succeed but such is life.