Decadent, rich, gourmet foods that are also low calorie.

Options
Most decadent, rich, gourmet foods that I've cooked in the past have been very high in calories. It's been beautiful food, although I haven't made most of these foods for around a year.

I would ideally like to return back to the gourmet, decadent foods, but do it in another way that it is very reasonable calories.

I've been altering my crepes, my meat roulades, my various salads and whatnot.

I would like to ask if anyone has any suggestions for decadent, rich, gourmet, homemade foods that are easily made as low calorie?

Replies

• laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did a search for "low calorie gourmet" and both of this result looked pretty decent: http://www.delish.com/recipes/best-recipes/low-calorie-recipes
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more decadent, rich meals. The ones on that page are not decadent or rich, I just see regular low calorie meals.

When I say decadent, I mean truly gorgeous, rich, beautiful meals, not just low calorie home made meals.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It depends if your mind set of having rich decadent meals is the ones with all the high calorie ingredients and cooking methods. Low calorie meals, are always going to be low calorie meals, maybe using low fat products and baking good rather than frying.

My only recommendation is to look on the Skinny Taste website where the blogger has spent years making lower calorie variants of everyday meals.
  • Lykia
    Lykia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Could you give some examples of what meals you have in mind if they wouldn't be low calories?
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    It depends if your mind set of having rich decadent meals is the ones with all the high calorie ingredients and cooking methods. Low calorie meals, are always going to be low calorie meals, maybe using low fat products and baking good rather than frying.

My only recommendation is to look on the Skinny Taste website where the blogger has spent years making lower calorie variants of everyday meals.

There are ways to alter meals to make them still very decadent, yet lower in calories. This post is not asking for everyday meals.

I think I'm having trouble communicating what I'm looking for, if someone understands what I'm asking for and is able to describe it better than I am, please speak up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think I'm having trouble communicating what I'm looking for, if someone understands what I'm asking for and is able to describe it better than I am, please speak up.

maybe give an example of one of these 'decadent' low calorie meals...?
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Buy the best smoked salmon you can find (order it from Barney Greengrass in NYC). Poach a couple of eggs with some grilled asparagus. Hit it with some caviar if you really want to go to town.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    Buy the best smoked salmon you can find (order it from Barney Greengrass in NYC). Poach a couple of eggs with some grilled asparagus. Hit it with some caviar if you really want to go to town.

LOVELY! Thank you, you understand the fine cooking I am looking for! Beautiful!
  • Michifan
    Options
    Take a small veal chop and sprinkle some smoked sea salt, a touch of extra old balsamic (highly concentrated) and truffle oil (also concentrated). Cut away any extra fat, shave black truffles and serve with asaparagus or artichoke hearts grilled.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    Take a small veal chop and sprinkle some smoked sea salt, a touch of extra old balsamic (highly concentrated) and truffle oil (also concentrated). Cut away any extra fat, shave black truffles and serve with asaparagus or artichoke hearts grilled.

These are such beautiful suggestions, I really appreciate it! They sound so elegant and yet, very calorie reasonable!
  • Michifan
    Options
    I can keep going, but the trend is to take a healthy protein (lean animal or fish) and use any number of gourmet condiments to compliment the flavor. I eat sashimi 2-3x a week. I also have gotten back to loving high quality foods and haven't had much to any processed foods.

I eat a very savory diet and my portions are reasonable. Since I don't like throwing away food or torturing myself with a complicated recipient that I'd taste along the way, everything needs to be much more simple. But you can really enjoy the best quality eggs, meats and in small amounts cheeses.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Game stroganoff? I make this sometimes with a mixture of rabbit, venison and pigeon (ie very very lean meat) braised in a mixture of game stock and brandy/port/sherry depending on taste. Add some oyster mushrooms, wholegrain mustard and low-fat creme fraiche to make a thick creamy sauce.

Serve with a mixture of basmati and wild rice and purple sprouting broccoli. Shave a truffle over the top for some zing.

ETA: If you're looking for something to make dinner parties more exciting yet healthy, look up kaiseki-ryori recipes (Japanese haute cuisine). It can be fiddly to put together but it looks amazing and being Japanese, most of the dishes are super-healthy.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bobby Flay has some great recipe ideas that are just what you are looking for:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/bobby-flays-healthy-recipes.html
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    I can keep going, but the trend is to take a healthy protein (lean animal or fish) and use any number of gourmet condiments to compliment the flavor. I eat sashimi 2-3x a week. I also have gotten back to loving high quality foods and haven't had much to any processed foods.

I eat a very savory diet and my portions are reasonable. Since I don't like throwing away food or torturing myself with a complicated recipient that I'd taste along the way, everything needs to be much more simple. But you can really enjoy the best quality eggs, meats and in small amounts cheeses.

To track the calories per serving, I'm guessing that you input each individual ingredient and weigh each serving? This is a wonderful equation, Thank you again.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    this is what im looking for too! real food!
    i always find roasting vegies makes them taste so nicer than other methods.
    creme fraiche instead of cream makes good sauces for certain things.

im not long back from france as well so struggling not cooking lovely meals with wine n cheese n meats that r still tasty!
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    this is what im looking for too! real food!
    i always find roasting vegies makes them taste so nicer than other methods.
    creme fraiche instead of cream makes good sauces for certain things.

im not long back from france as well so struggling not cooking lovely meals with wine n cheese n meats that r still tasty!

Yes, exactly! When I lived in Europe, everything was so decadent, gorgeous and delicious. This is what I miss, I know there are some ways to make this, or maybe smaller servings of sauces, creams and make them all delicious, yet making it lower in calories. I KNOW it's possible!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Oysters, lemon juice.
  • Brunette_H
    Brunette_H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I second the venison suggestion - it's much leaner than beef but has way more minerals, especially iron. It also tends to always be free range.
    I make a lovely dish (actually haven't made it for a few years but this has reminded me to do it again!) where I marinate venison steak with cumin, thyme and sherry vinegar, then pan fry in just a tiny amount of oil. Roast loads of whole red and yellow peppers (with whatever garlic, herbs etc you fancy), then peel them. Cut into slivers and serve with the venison. I know that sounds quite simple but the strong flavours of the ingredients make it feel like something quite special and "restauranty" if you see what I mean!

If you have a good fishmonger nearby you can put together a plateau de fruits de mer (mixed seafood plate) - just serve with some lemon wedges and a quick shallot vinaigrette and it's a pretty low-cal dinner that has a definite feel of a Parisan brasserie about it!

And remember Champagne is only 80 calories a glass :-)
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    yeah its amazing food!
    risotto is the healthiest i can come up with that still tastes rich lol

even adding some capers or something to the side of ur plate helps things feel a bit tastier...yeah im clutching at straws here