Nutrition with Breast Cancer and and Chemo

Options
So i started to do a search online for recipes and nutrition for my mom who is currently going through chemo with breast cancer. Sadly everything I read on here is exactly what I cannot have her eating as carbs and starchy food (regardless to her cravings) make her more sick.

Does anyone have any type of information or advice of healthy green eating on chemo? of Chemo positive foods that will help her immune system and energy? and nausea???

I ask this because at this point i'm not sure who else to turn to. if i leave her alone, she'll live on pasta and beef!! :(

we already learned our lesson from round one when mom ate a small bowl of potato cream soup and spent the night in the ER due to the chain reaction it caused.

So any info would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• stmaurice
    stmaurice Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good time to consult a professional dietitian!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your mom's chemo treatment. I wish her the best.

With respect to her eating needs, you should consult the oncologist. Cancer treatment centers have dietitians, nurses, and personnel that are trained and qualified to provide the best guidance.

I don't think that this database should be use to give such an advance and special medical information, unless some of the members are in that line of work.

Chemotherapy treatment involves the use of very powerful drugs that interfere with digestion and with certain foods. Only the people that know your mothers' treatment should be giving you and her proper recommendation. You can also check with the Breast Cancer organization for more guidance.

Prayers and good wishes to you and your mom.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    I'd find out if the center where she is having the chemo offers nutrition counseling, and go with what they say rather than advice from here. However, I did find this website that might have more information for you, if there is no individualized nutritional counseling available to your mom:
    http://www.chemocare.com/eatingwell/
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree on the nutritionist, they can be a big help. Try things like cherries, either dried or fresh, blueberries, a green monster for breakfast, green and white tea. Along with the recommendations from the dietitian. Sometimes protein is hard to take with chemo, it will make you nauseated. Also try yogurts. All good power foods for the immune system. IMHO, I am not a nutritionist.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My father has been undergoing chemo for the last year and one of the side effects was sores that would form in his mouth and throat. Similar to thrush but not exactly. One of the things that he was able to tolerate was yogurt and it was highly recommended by his oncologist that he eat it. Not only does it soothe his mouth and throat it also has beneficial bacteria that helped combat the sores in his mouth and throat and also helped cultivate the good ones in his bowels. (therefore helping with his naseau) Sometimes we will make him a smoothie with the yogurt if he is tired of eating it. Now...with all of that being said....EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and I think the above advice to consult a nutritionist is the best course of action. Good luck to your mom and know that I feel your concern for your mom. It is a tough thing to go through!
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Her doctor can refer her to a dietician. They can work on a program just for her. My thoughts and prayers are with her. I am a six year breast cancer survivor (diagnosed at age 28). Survivors rock!!!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think of that! thank you so much for the nutritionist suggestion. I can't believe i didn't even think of it! ok so tomorrow i have a phone call to make.

Thank you folks for answering :D

sometimes we miss the obvious stuff when all kinds of crap is goin on around us.

thanks for the warm thoughts too. :)