Will lowering to 1100 Cals for 1 week affect my Metabolism?

Options
Hi Guys, been on 1400 cals with 250 cals worth of exercise (Cardio) for a few weeks now and it's been going well.
Until this week,.... i've not lost anything! :/
I'm 5ft,3.5 and 130 pounds.
I've only got a couple of pounds to reach my goal, so i thinking of lowering my cals to 1100 (w/gentle exercise), just for 1 week to see if this will help.
But i'm just a bit scared i'll mess up my Metabolism, as it's not a lot of calories.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're otherwise healthy, it's unlikely you'd do any serious damage to yourself by eating 7700 for one week.

I read so much about how hard those last few pounds are that my plan is to starve them off if they won't budge, lol. So I'd be the last one to whine about how 1100 cals/day is too low and will leave that to someone else. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is not linear. My advice would be not to stress over 2 pounds. It's a number it wont effect the overall composition of your body. As your body can vary in weight +- 5 pounds at what time of day will you deem yourself to have hit your goal weight 9am? So at 1pm when your 2 pounds heavier again what will you do. For all intents and purposes you are basically at your goal weight. Why not now set in place how your going to do this long term and put to use all the hard work you have done. A much better thing to rather than starving yourself for a week

Congratulations on all the work you've put in now it's time to look at the big picture
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, it won't, but in the situation you describe theres also no benefit to it. what you're experiencing is a natural fluctuation...you say 1400 cals with exercise has worked up till now, so just keep doing that... if you're weighing and measuring accurately and are in a calorie deficit you'll keep losing weight.

plus, as you get closer to goal you should up your cals towards maintenance, not reduce them further.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    some weeks are like that, when I was trying to lose sometimes 2 weeks went past before I'd get a 1/2lb loss... just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off - not that you have much to lose as you're already at a fairly ideal weight for your height (I have similar stats and I'm just maintaining that now)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    i am 5 ft 4 and was 130 lbs for the last 7 years. my goal weight in 2007 was 125....and that last bit just wouldn't come off. so i finally said ok, 130 lbs is ok with me. i started jogging recently and in three months i saw a lot of fat disappear but no change on the scale until now, three months later (one kilogram.....so 2.2 lbs). funny thing is this time i wasn't really looking to lose those last few lbs, but to just feel better. i tried lowering calories before too and it didn't work for me. i just felt hungry and cranky.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I guess you guys are right.
    Maybe i'm just being a bit impatient.
    But i'm thinking, losing those last 2 pounds will make my Jeans fit just that bit better. ;)
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I guess you guys are right.
    Maybe i'm just being a bit impatient.
    But i'm thinking, losing those last 2 pounds will make my Jeans fit just that bit better. ;)

Yeah, calm down geesh! lol I'm just kidding. I understand. I want my goal weight to be the higher end of my weight fluctuations, too. ;D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ..i thinking of lowering my cals to 1100 (w/gentle exercise), just for 1 week to see if this will help.
    But i'm just a bit scared i'll mess up my Metabolism, as it's not a lot of calories.

No, it will not "mess up" your metabolism.