How much Fruit do you eat?

Options
I know the sugar content is high, and a few dieters at work only eat 1 apple a day because of this. It is my go-to "healthy" snack so it is a little disconcerting that I can only have 1 piece a day!

Replies

• Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat at least 5 servings of fruit or vegetable per day. Usually 2-3 of these are fruits. They do have a lot of sugar, however, I feel that the health benefits of the fruits outweigh the "badness" of the sugar. Unless you are trying to stick to a very low carb/no carb diet, I wouldn't worry about eating too many apples!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    In all my reading about good weight loss and keeping it off, I've learned a fruit and vegatable with every meal is good for you. I've also read to eat a fruit or veggie before your meal and it will help feel you up so you eat less of the big foods. Fruits and Vegatables are so much easier for the body to process and digest.. Doesn't have time to turn into fat basically. Meats are one of the hardest digestion food you can eat and therefore it seems to slow your metabolism down. So I stay away from meats for my dinner meals.. I only eat meat at lunch time so that my body has plenty of time to digest and get rid of it...Good Luck...
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    In all my reading about good weight loss and keeping it off, I've learned a fruit and vegatable with every meal is good for you. I've also read to eat a fruit or veggie before your meal and it will help feel you up so you eat less of the big foods. Fruits and Vegatables are so much easier for the body to process and digest.. Doesn't have time to turn into fat basically. Meats are one of the hardest digestion food you can eat and therefore it seems to slow your metabolism down. So I stay away from meats for my dinner meals.. I only eat meat at lunch time so that my body has plenty of time to digest and get rid of it...Good Luck...:flowerforyou:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 servings of fruit per day. The natural sugars in fruit, low-fat milk, etc. don't count in your MFP daily allowed sugars. It's the "added" or refined sugars you need to watch. The healthy benefits of fruit (especially berries & bananas) are worth the carbs!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you are using fruit as a healthy snack then you are absolutely doing the 'healthy thing'. As an earlier poster said unless you are on a no/low carb diet or are a diabetic then as long as you record the calories and they are part of a well balanced days food with veggies & proteins included then no problem. I rather think its your friends who are missing out.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I try to at least get 2 fruits and 2 veggies in daily. As for the sugar content.....I am over my limit on MFP everyday. Aside from the obvious sugar I get from my coffee creamer, and the Tbsp of brown sugar each day, I would have to eliminate fruits completely from my diet. ---- not something I am willing to do. I believe my 2 servings of fruit each day are way better than loading up on breads, pasta, and junk which used to be part of my diet before. Also, I get plenty of fiber from them as well :)
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I usually have two. Really want to increase that to three a day.

Focus right now is on getting the veggies up.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Bizco --- that's good to know, because half of my sugar total comes from the fruits I eat. MFP puts it in your total, so I am always over.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least 3 portions of fruit every day.

I think it's crazy that some people fret over a bit of fruit sugar but will drink artificially sugared drinks, eat cake, drink alcohol etc. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome. I have at least four servings a day, usually more. Some days twice that. Same for vegetables.

I don't even pay attention to the sugar numbers here on MFP. I just keep an eye on added sugars. Eat real foods — that is the important thing.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 3 servings a day.

The only sugars I'm leery of are the ones added to nearly every product that is processed, including so-called "healthy" foods.

I'm of the opinion that if we all ate a 90% whole foods diet, we wouldn't have to drive ourselves crazy over eating a piece of innocent fruit, a pat of butter , a whole egg or a cut of meat.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I eat fruit every day. Raw food is good food.

1-2 cups of fruit salad 5 days a week and I love dried plums and applesauce as snacks!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Most days a handfull of blueberries in my yogurt (1/8 to 1/4 cup) and a whole something. Apple, pear, banana, orange or kiwi. Sometimes I will grab a melon and have a serving of that instead of my whole fruit. Love fresh strawberries when they are in season.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple and a banana almost every day at work. Sugar is not evil. I can see trying to avoid refined sugar, but for me fruit is a bit part of what makes healthy eating worht it!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is different the processed and refined, sugar, making it much healthier. I've always been under the impression that it's a perfectly healthy snack, provided you eat it in moderation (like everything else.)

I actually don't eat that much fruit, because there are very few fruits I really like. I like vegetable way more. I seem to be in the minority on this though xD
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Love my fruit and eat at least 3 or more a day, Right now it is grapefruit season, yummy.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2 servings of fruit most days but today will have more. I almost always average 5 servings of vegetables a day though. My young skinny daughter loves fruit and probably eats 5 servings of that a day. I have heard that as far as sugars, grapefruit, apples and berries are the best to eat.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks! I will keep eating it then :)
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I usually eat an apple in the morning.. Some kind of fruit or nuts at lunch unless I go somewhere and hit the salad bar or Subway.. Then in the afternoon I eat an orange.
  • valleyrose99
    valleyrose99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a mimimum of 5 serving of fruits and/or vegetables. It usually works out to 6-7 a day. For me a serving is a whole piece of fruit (apple, banana...) or one cup of something cut up or smaller (like blueberries, carrots....). A big baked potato would be 2 servings.