Writing Meal Plans On Dry Erase Boards?

Options
Does anyone do this? I just started today. I bought a dry erase board yesterday-just a small one at the Dollar Tree. I figured I'd need it because I can be so dorky when it comes to mealtimes. So I figured if I "assign" meals and treats to my day, then maybe it'd be easier on my diet plan. What do y'all think on this one? Have y'all tried this? Or is this just a dumb idea and I should probably give it up?

Replies

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We have one on our fridge (it's a magnet white board) and when we measure out our servings we write it down.
    Nothing dumb about it.
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    I have a small dry erase board on my fridge that I write on what I plan to make for dinner each day of the week. Helps for meal planning and reminds me to take stuff out of the freezer on time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If it helps, go for it! I pre-log my day so I feel more in control, which is the same thing except your dry erase will be right in your face when you hit the kitchen.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I don't do it on a dry erase board, but a word document on my computer.
    Meal planning helps me a lot.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We create our grocery list that way. As I think of ingredients (for a healthy recipe, say) or run out of them they go on the board.

Its incredibly convenient and helpful.
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    I use one as I cook. I weigh everything that goes into a recipe and then write it on the board.

But getting another for a meal plan is a good idea for me, as we tend to just cook whatever we have and buy lots of random things and I'd like to start getting specific things at the store so we have for sure meals instead of like 5 things that don't go together and need another trip to the store. D:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I use one as I cook. I weigh everything that goes into a recipe and then write it on the board.

But getting another for a meal plan is a good idea for me, as we tend to just cook whatever we have and buy lots of random things and I'd like to start getting specific things at the store so we have for sure meals instead of like 5 things that don't go together and need another trip to the store. D:

I like that idea! I should do that.
  • fitdoesntquit
    fitdoesntquit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually use my dry erase calendar on my fridge less for the calendar function and more for the "let me jot down my food for my diary". I weigh a lot of my food that's not already portioned out. It works great for me and I'm not wasting any paper or anything. I can quickly jot down y measurements as I cook and add it all together later.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The dry erase board is a good idea.
    I have a notebook. I make menus and a shopping list at the same time. The menus go on my fridge with a magnet.

Where I need help is the weighing, measuring and calories per portion of homemade things.
    That's where the dry erase will come in...thanks!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a medium sized one on my dining room wall and I use it to remember the weights of things I measure as I'm cooking. For example if I'm having a salad for lunch and I'm adding up to 10 items to make the whole thing I will jot things down as I go. Because chances are I wont remember that I used 85g of lettuce and 28g of feta and 6.6 ounces of chicken, plus the 2 tbsp of dressing and who knows what else and so on. This is especially helpful as I said if the recipe has quite a few ingredients. When I'm done I take a picture of the white board and then enter things on MFP when I have more time.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I got the dry erase board. Before I got it, I was just eating whenever I want and whatever I wanted. Now, though, I have it and I will buy some more tomorrow. Dry erase boards, I mean. I just need them to be able to keep up with my house and also just with other things in general. I would benefit from it greatly. Mostly though I need it for my meals and stuff.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

I do this too if I'm making a recipe, or even if I'm making/grabbing a lot of items and I am just too lazy to take the time to input them into MFP as I grab them.

I don't meal plan though, but I do write grocery lists on our eraser board as well. I also write the weight of containers if I'm going to weigh out my portions.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also write the weight of containers if I'm going to weigh out my portions.
    I've actually added the weights of a few of my pots/pans/containers to my personal database(not publicly shared) just for the added convenience of having it on here when I log a recipe.
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a notebook where I write down my feelings for the day, any exercise I've done, then all my meals & snacks (good or bad) and any drinks I've had. That way I can look back on the weeks / months and see what caused the highs and what caused the lows.

Anything is good if it helps you! Not everyone is the same.:smile::flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    we write a 'menu' with the weeks evening meals on which is pinned to the fridge door.
  • victoire713
    Options
    Right now, my dry erase board is not only for meal planning, but I also use it for stuff that needs to get done, Pokémon training tips(in case I forget), and anything else that needs to be noted(like a Broncos game, or if the Nuggets get 110 points or more). It's helping some, but I am still having a hard time with motivation for the chores. As for cooking, it's much easier for me to know what to make for meals, and what to have for my treats. If by chance something ends up changing, or if I eat a treat that wasn't listed next to treats, then I just write it up on the board.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just started to write down meal plans for myself. Do it on my computer, though. It's mainly to make sure to use what ingredients and leftovers I have, so I know how to cook for the next few weeks with buying the least possible extra ingredients. Money are a bit tight atm, which is silly, since I have a pretty well stocked kitchen, so I don't *need* to buy food all the time.
  • victoire713
    Options
    I buy all my food at once all on the same day(8th day of every month, unless it's a Saturday or Sunday). I can't do my lists on the computer because I will just forget about it. So it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to put it up on the computer. There are times where I still don't follow the meal plan, but later on I just try to get it into the next possible meal. Pretty simple there.