Beating the blues without food

Options
I'm having one of those low energy, sad days where I'm struggling to see the point of trying anymore because I've convinced myself I'm going to fail anyway. Turning to food when I'm feeling sad is one of my major problems so I've been trying to do things other than eat. I've had a hot bath, cleaned the kitchen, put some feel good programmes on the TV and I still ended up eating toast and jam that i didn't really need.

How would you deal with the blues without turning to food?

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I play music really loud and clean or go to the gym and destroy a heavy bag. Usually works for me. Or type out your feelings on a blog.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I try to beat the blues by reading posts on here. My computer zone has been labeled as a "food free" zone so if I'm reading I'm not eating. There are many motivation people on here. Add more friends if you need to. Write a blog about why you are feeling blue. Get those feelings out!! Many people "eat" their feelings instead of dealing with them. Put it to paper or blog. It helps a ton!
  • KatieWunder
    Options
    Call a friend or family member that will boost your mood!
    Take a walk outside.
    Start a great new book.
    Write in a journal about your feelings.
    Enjoy a hot cup of tea.

I feel for you. I get the blues quite a bit somedays to. I hate it. I am sorry you are feeling down...
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Go outside! Get OUT of the house, take a walk, go somewhere, to the park, etc.
  • leiamt
    leiamt Posts: 12
    Options
    i find getting out of the house and away from food helps going for a walk or reading a good book so my hands are busy and my mind occupied :smile:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry at all but feeling a bit sort of 'sunday night' soon to be monday morning ish and so I'm tucking into a pile of carrott sticks with lemon juice on them.
    40 calories max and with a nice glass of cold water - filling me up.
    The positive comments on here for my previous entries spur me on and the memory of how good it feels when someone looks at you and says 'you lost some weight?'
    One bad day won't kill the diet if you go way over so don't beat yourself up about it.

A few over is fine. In fact, below calorie goal is not good.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It's all about changing our habits. You are doing so good. Go around the house and find something that weighs 10lbs. Lift it up. That is how much weight you have lost so far. I hope you feel better soon. We all have those blah days.

Maybe if you take a walk it will chase away the blues.
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    your not going to fail! even if you do give in to the toast and jam. When ever I feel like I'd rather lay around and eat junk I try and do some extra exercising, go outside and do something productive, find something just to keep my mind off snacking like looking for new books online, knitting, organizing drawers and closets, planning my spring garden..... And if I still want to eat, I eat. I just try and do better the next day. Just try to find anything that will keep you from being sedentary where you normally eat.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses. They're all so positive!

I'll definately look at writing some things down and getting it out. I've packed my Gym kit for tomorrow so I can go for a run at lunch time (or after if I'm busy).

I love the idea of getting outside and I will use that in future. It's 9pm at night here at the moment so I wouldn't feel comfortable going out in the dark on my own. I'm winding down for bed at 10pm :-D

Please feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I could do with all your positive vibes!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you can just muster the will to exercise when you're down, you will chase the blues away by doing it. I'm a runner and running outside puts me in my zen place. It's psychological and physiological. My energy gets going and endorphins kick in at the same time it feels like I get to run away from it all that hour, lol. It makes me feel amazing.

For those times when you're really down and exercise just isn't going to happen, I turn to sleep instead of food. It's more productive for me since I often find my body needing more rest than I give it anyway.
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I run...Its an awesome pick me up! and burn some good cals too! Its a great stress releiver too!