Starvation Mode explained...

I'll start off by saying I'm not a doctor but this is my understanding of what it is and what it's caused by without all the scare tactics.

I'm not going to say "IT IS REAL! YOU'RE WRONG", you're allowed to have your own opinion on it but this is mine.

Starvation mode seems to have people scared of what they're doing to lose weight. I'll admit, it had me scared at first but then I did some reading and had an "ah ha" moment.

I've put this in a comment of mine to previous posts but I felt like sharing with everyone so here it goes.

Now if you're obese your chances of suffering any sort of muscle, tissue, etc. loss is minimal because we have enough fat to fuel our bodies. Those who are already fit and trying to lose that extra ten pounds are at higher risk because they have less fat to begin with. If their bodies are lacking proper needs to sustain itself than yes, there is a chance you'll lose muscle mass once all the fat is gone. I mean that's what the fat is there for. Your body stores fat when excessive calories are given because it can only burn so many calories at once and by overeating you're telling your body "hey I'm going to need this to fuel myself later on". Once your body lacks the calories from food to fuel itself it will go after fat, then muscle, then tissue, etc... it's sole purpose is to stay alive so it will do what it needs to do but it takes time. Starvation mode doesn't happen over night.

Now here's some info as to why if you are a fit person eating fewer calories, you can either be healthy or put your body into starvation mode:

Generally fruits and veggies have over 100 calories less than one burger. If you're eating healthy greens and the "good" stuff, you can eat more and get more, pretty much all day if you want and still stay within like 500 calories. If you're eating "bad" stuff or processed junk, you'll eat a meal, reach your calorie limit with just that and will have to starve yourself for the rest of the day.

I hope this cleared some things up. If not send me a message and I'll try to better explain myself. :) Have a GREAT day y'all and GOOD LUCK!

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    I'm not really sure where to post this either... :/
  • raindrop556
    raindrop556 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you! This makes perfect sense!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Starvation mode is a myth!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member

And you kept a troll post moving. . . . .notice the OP's date. . . . .and I have just bumped it to the top telling you this :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member

And you kept a troll post moving. . . . .notice the OP's date. . . . .and I have just bumped it to the top telling you this :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Argh! Oh *kitten* ...I've done it too! :grumble: :angry:

Ah well, who's in ...or out for round 3542678546?! :bigsmile: