Stressed OUT...need some suggestions.

Options
I am studying for the bar exam (Attorney Licensing Exam). I am super duper stressed out and very tired. I study 7 days a week and usually for anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day. I am trying to resist the urge to comfort my anxiety with food. Does anyone have any suggestions for a "comfort food" that is low in calories? Or any other suggestions that will take my "urge to splurge" away? HELP....I gladly welcome any suggestions!!!

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Carrots!
    Works for me everytime.
    If I'm desperate for more flavours I put a small amount of smooth cheese with chives or something and I add lemon juice.
    Yummy to me.

Lots of water as well - fill you up and stop you thinking your hungry if you're just thirsty.

Best of luck and good luck with the Bar exam!
  • momma_nany
    Options
    when that happens to me i so pop a fiber one plus bar, which they do say fiber helps us feel full. But i know sometimes thats not what we are looking for but it does help. Try to find some snacks that are under the 150 calories intake so when you do have those times you pop one of those instead of a whole meal. Good luck and keep your head up and the fruits nd veggies help also.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Well as a busy college student I have found my own comfort foods, so here is a few!

Air popped plain popcorn - my favorite :D
    sugar free jello
    apple cinnamon tea
    low sugar yogurt
    no sugar added fudge bars

as you may have noticed i have a sweet tooth xD hope this helps and GOOD LUCK :D
  • krsslim
    krsslim Posts: 191
    Options
    I am a teacher, and I struggle to not snack while I'm grading essays. . . here are some snacks I've found that work:

1. popcorn (air popped is best, microwave if not)
    2. kashi berry puff cereal, dry (crunchy snacky goodness)
    3. herbal tea (it gives you the hand-to-mouth feel, without the calories)
    4. special K cracker crisps - they taste like potato chips, but are much better for you

Also, do you have a crock pot? If not, I'd totally get one. When I was in grad school and working full time, it was the only thing that kept me from eating rice krispies for dinner every night. You can find tons of light recipes for them online, and you just throw the stuff in in the morning and get a real dinner when it's done.

Good luck, both with this and with the bar!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Depending on what the weather is like where you live - go to a park & study. Take a bottle of water with you & hit the books.
    If you must snack, try the 100 calorie foods by nabisco (I think) that they sell at the grocery store or take some fruit or vegtables with you. Extra also makes Dessert Delights sugar free gum that is only 5 calories as long as you don't eat the entire pack at one time.
    Do anything to get away from the MAJOR temptations (fridge, food pantry) that are around you at home.

GOOD LUCK
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    when that happens to me i so pop a fiber one plus bar, which they do say fiber helps us feel full. But i know sometimes thats not what we are looking for but it does help. Try to find some snacks that are under the 150 calories intake so when you do have those times you pop one of those instead of a whole meal. Good luck and keep your head up and the fruits nd veggies help also.

Just a bit of info... I would not eat these fiber bars!

They have actually been proven to cause more sugar cravings, so you want to pig out more. I have experienced this and stopped eating them

They also are actually very hard on your digestive system too >.<
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It can be quite an addiction to eat something when you study, or watch TV, or read, so I tend to avoid it completely - I only eat my "regular" meals, every 3-4hrs. I know that if I started munching on something every time I studied, Id get really... not where I want to be!
    I recommend sticking to the carrots - but best is just sipping water in my opinion.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your test. I don't know what kind of food you are looking for. Snacks, meals or both. There is a websire I love called allrecipes.com. You should make sure you don't eat and read at the same time. You will consume a lot more calories that way. Make sure while you are studying you stay hydrated and take a break while you eat.

I work at home and it is very easy to sit in front of my computer and eat while checking email. You miss how much you have eaten and still feel hungry.
  • Lauren91292
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Will try some of them. Was logged into my daughter's profile...but this is Michele