Night-time cravings...

Options
Hi guys,

This is my first forum post, but ive been on here for a while. In my past ive lost a LOT of weight and understand diet and exercise, im on a steady weight loss which suits me OK, and ive only got 16 pounds to go until i reach my goal. However my massive downfall is night time cravings... for EVERYTHING and anything near me!

All day ill be fine, eat a balanced breakfast, lunch and snacks - all the time making sure im eating clean, eating lots of fruit veg and fibre and a correct amount of protein considering the training i do, all the time keeping an eye on the GI and sugar etc.... but then 7pm+ happens.... aaaaargh its SO hard to resist!!!

Can anyone advise a satisfying meal/snack i could go for around this time that wont add the pounds, is healthy (and importantly sustainable for life not just a fad!)

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i tend to go for a pint of water followed by some crispbread or maybe a yoghurt or 2 , could always try a boardgame to occuypy the mind

:)
  • Soulmeetsbody0
    Options
    Maybe try taking 2-3 egg whites (or whole eggs, but I prefer only whites, it's clean protein) and scramble them. Or eat a hard-boiled egg? You can accompany it with some celery and carrots.
    Eat protein and some low carb stuff, like vegetables. If you are really craving for sweets, than a small apple or half of an orange should do, but watch the carbs!
    I mostly recconmend egg whites and celery. Drink lots of water and maybe some tasty tea, it will take your mind off of food.
  • Becs_lil
    Options
    I refuse to eat anything after 8 o'clock at night, because your metabolism starts to slow down at night so you're more likely to store what you eat as fat. So if i get cravings I have an instant hot chocolate, something like Cadbury's Highlights which is only 40 calories and it takes away the edge by making your body feel like its had something sweet. :)
    Hope thats helped.
  • jug1
    jug1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have found that drinking some kind of crystal light and a bag of 100 calorie popcorn im fine. I dont know how good the popcorn is but I take my time eating it and then it seems to satisfy me. Or just chew some gum.
  • vinpan
    vinpan Posts: 7
    Options
    well once what they used to say is not eat after 10pm well my friend not is not true, try eating some organic yogurt ( stoney farms ).
    it will cut your hunger. and try eating 4 times a day as well.
  • roxieking
    Options
    Try having a protein drink. i get hawaiian punch with splenda and use Designer Whey Strawberry its delicious and fills you up.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    These days I've been craving apples like crazy! I usually have to have my arm twisted to start eating an apple; once I start, I realize I'm enjoying it and am fine, but it's usually hard to get me to start eating one. Not anymore, apparently! I have one more pink lady apple in my fruit basket, and this afternoon I will have to make a run to the store to get some more!

Other than apples ... those cute little clementines are good. Just 80 calories for two of them. If you have a little more room in your calorie budget, maybe a slice of toast with some chunky peanut butter on it? That usually tides me over pretty well. I suppose it depends on whether you're craving sweet, salty, fatty, or all of the above!
  • hannahncakes
    Options
    I tend to go for hummous & veg if I want savoury stuff or a yoghurt if I want something sweet. Other than that I just like to fill up on tea or water.
  • vinpan
    Options
    after 8? let me correct that, stay away from carb at night you can eat some yogurt/veg/fruit anytime that whole thing about not eating after a time frame is incorrect.
  • only1aquarius
    Options
    I have this same problem. I go for hummas and carrot chips for "savory" and low-fat chocolate pudding with lite cool whip for "sweet".
  • moniqueluv
    moniqueluv Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I too am a night time eater. Knowing that i tend to save a good amount of calories for the evening time. I have a lot of 100 calorie snack packs like the cheez-its or little nabisco cookie things if i want something sweet. Most of the time I have a 100 calorie popcorn bag and some sugar free lemonade.
  • chondro13
    chondro13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wow thanks guys! lots of great suggestions, i especially love the low cal hot chocolate idea, that will certainly curb the sweet cravings! i already have a protein shake midday but it may be an idea to half the powder for the midday shake and have the other half at night as it does fill me up well... also... grapes - Im craving grapes.... i need to go to asda... lol!

Thanks all, ill start these new implementations tomorrow :)
  • vinpan
    Options
    for me, food wise I eat all organic I treat myself once a month with like organic cookies ect.... those 100 cal packs are so bad for you look at the ingredient on the back.. EWWW I learned all my info from jillian micheals/reading you can check out my blog at http://vinniepanico.blogspot.com/