Realized that I'm a food addict

Options
I've had multiple attempts at losing weight since I've ballooned up but they seemed to failed. I would be successful for a few weeks up to a few months but would always fall back into old habits. After spending all day doing some research about food addiction I've come to the conclusion that I am definitely a food addict. My main addiction is chips.

Three days ago I emptied out my food that I had. Food that was filled with sugar. Chips, granola bars, candy, more chips, ice cream, diet soda's, gummies, and all other sorts of junk food that I used for "snacks" while working. I figured that as an addict I can't touch those things right now because I can't handle them in moderation. I can't just eat a little snack bag of chips, I need 2 or 3 to feel better. I can't do any bad food in moderation.

So like someone addicted to alcohol, crack, or meth, I'm cutting all that stuff from my diet completely. Trying everything I can to not take in any extra sugar that's added to foods. People might think that's crazy but after 2 days of not eating any of that I was going crazy wanting a bag of chips with some mountain dew. I was jonesing like a damn crack head for some. Trying to come up with any excuse I could give myself to allow me to cave in. I was able to hold strong and not cave in. I drank some water and chewed on some gum instead. It was a huge win for me and hopefully there will be more down the road.

People might think being a food addict is a bunch of crap, but I feel I'm living proof that it exist. I started this journey at 360lbs and now I'm down to 353lbs as of this morning. My fiance and I are walking at least 3 nights a week. Our kids are going through the change of food intake as well, but thankfully they enjoy fruits as a desert or snack. In the long run this will benefit my whole family, and that alone is plenty of motivation.

Replies

• NC_Sean
    NC_Sean Posts: 64
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I want to witness your success...one day at a time.
  • vettim16
    vettim16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great choice for you and for your family. I too am addicted to food and it has taken me 2 plus years to get myself in check. If you are looking for supportive friends feel free to add me! Would love to help/support you in this journey!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Self control is important, but know when you can't exercise self control (like with chips) is important to. You'll probably be able to be around them later without eating the whole bag, but for now you made the right choice for you. I hope you donated some of that food...
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great start! You have made the decision to change for the better. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • terrystoecker
    Options
    I do believe it is the toughest addiction and am very much in the same boat. Successful change for 5 or 6 days, maybe 2 weeks, and then as soon as I see some results it is back to bread and butter! And the pounds come back and worst of all feeling bad comes back. This site is new to me. I had been on another site and found some success from time to time.
    Reading your story and the many helpful and inspired responses are so helpful as I start day 5. Thank you for sharing and know that "One day at a time" is a powerful mantra to help stay in the moment and to not lose track of what is really important. Sometimes "one hour at a time" or "one minute at a time" is the way to freedom from repeating habitual behaviors. You can do it. Be well. Love yourself with a full heart. Have an awesome day and add me as a friend if you wish. Blessings!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    You are making the right changes in your life. Just remember... when you are craving those things.. use your support system... whether it be your wife and kids or MFP ... They will help you through it.. There are plenty of alternatives to your favorite snacks. If you are craving crunchy, find out what alternative crunchy snack would eliminate that particular craving and do the same with sweet or salty snacks. ASK your friends, family, and MFP family for advice on what they are snacking on when they have cravings that would be a healthier version of what you want.

Use the Search feature in the forums here... there are many people who are in the same boat as you and have reached out and asked what kinds of healthier snack alternatives there are. Some you may be amazed to find that you didnt think of yourself, but something that you really enjoy eating.

GOOD LUCK to you.. you can do this.. one day at a time..
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! This is also the first time I'm trying to build up a much stronger support system while doing this. I know it will help out.

And yes SoDamnHungry, the food didn't go to waste.