What can I do with a 5yr, 6yr and 14 yr old?

Options
My husband works 2 jobs and I am at home with my girls every night. I try to find the time to spend with them and work out but I just can't do it. With the gas prices I can't drive to the local track to walk with them and where I live the terrain is too uneven for me just yet (I cramp up too easily). I have also found that I have to eat before I work out or I will cramp so badly that I cannot walk. What can I do with my girls to get them out with me and so I can get my work out time in? Any suggestions?

Replies

• kzeidler
    kzeidler Posts: 11
    Options
    My husband works 2 jobs and I am at home with my girls every night. I try to find the time to spend with them and work out but I just can't do it. With the gas prices I can't drive to the local track to walk with them and where I live the terrain is too uneven for me just yet (I cramp up too easily). I have also found that I have to eat before I work out or I will cramp so badly that I cannot walk. What can I do with my girls to get them out with me and so I can get my work out time in? Any suggestions?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love to go for walks and swim with my kiddos (ages 3, 7, and 9) - but if you need to build some endurance before walking on uneven terrain (hilly?) - why not dance? My kids LOVE to dance, and you can dance in your house or in the backyard and get a good workout - just put on some good ol' tunes and start cuttin' a rug! :smile:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Move the living room furniture and dance around like a nut :bigsmile:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Tie them to your bike and take off!:tongue:

joking......

But going for a walk, playing hide-and-seek, playing tag, anything!!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    The dancing is a great idea, it is fun for all. Get a dance work out tape, jump rope. Lots of stuff you can do with the kids and get a great work out. :drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I am reading your post here...

All I can say is be a kid again. Use your kids as your personal gym coaches. I absolutely love how many calories I burn by just being a fun Mom...
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Amen! Having fun with the kiddos. Walmart, awhile back, had inexpensive exercise DVD's including Salsa (that was fun.) I think they have a Hip Hop one the kids would enjoy doing with you, and does it burn the calories!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    As long as it is still warm, have a water fight. Get some squirt guns and set boundries and go for it. Or get some water balloons.
  • Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a 10 year old. We live in VT where we can walk in the summer but in the winter it's impossible and I don't do any of the outdoor stuff like skiing, snowshoeing, etc. Right now we're blessed to have a family membership at a local fitness center but we can't always afford that. Anyway, one of the fun things we have at home is a mini-trampoline with folding legs. We keep it behind the couch but it's very easy to pull out and jump our hearts out on it. It's a strong little thing and can hold up to 250 lbs.
  • kzeidler
    kzeidler Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied all had great ideas I especially liked the one that I would tie them to the bike and take off! That was funny! Me and all 3 of my girls LOVE to dance! I think that I will try that! Thanks again!