Why you should avoid "Gluten Free" products

Options
shai74
shai74 Posts: 512 Member
Fair enough, you have celiac disease, and you need to cut out Gluten. Fine.

But if you are one of those posers who buys "gluten free" products because you don't really know what it means, and you think it's better for you (I mean "gluten" just sounds bad right?), think again.

9 Dangers of Mainstream Gluten-Free Products and Recipes:

1. Too little fiber:

Many highly processed gluten-free products and recipes are lower in fiber, and can leave you feeling hungry. Fiber is also essential for healthy bowel movements.

2. Too many carbs:

GF products generally add starch to make up for the gluten in the wheat flour. A sensitive digestive system is unable to digest the large load of carbs thus creating a digestive problem.

3. It is expensive:

I used to buy a very small loaf of bread for $8.50! On average, gluten-free products are 242% more expensive than regular products. US Nationa lLibrary of Medicine

4. Many Bad carbs:

The gluten-free ‘flours’ like tapioca starch, corn starch, rice starch, potato starch etc. also cause health issues in the gut and with their high Glycemic index. Also, they are often devoid of nutrients! They are certainly not a ‘smart carb‘.

5. Too many calories:

Processed gluten-free foods contain almost twice the calories as their counterparts and are more then double the price.

6. Low in whole grains:

The benefits of good carbs like brown rice, fruits or beans are often sacrificed for other ‘bad’ carbs. You need good carbs to regulate blood sugar and bowel movements.

7. Lacks important nutrients:

Avoiding grains means that you will be getting less iron, calcium, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and folate.

8. Often contains Xanthan Gum:

Some of the side effects from consuming x-gum are similar to the negative effects of gluten-sensitivity. Flu-like symptoms can occur, and since it used for a laxative, sometimes even a small amount might aggravate your guts according to WebMD.

9. Often full of unhealthy sugars:

Sugar is not an ingredient we want lots of if we have gut problems, as it is what will feed the unhealthy bacteria in our gut.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/9-dangers-of-gluten-free-products.html#ixzz3BfKZfjrH

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Mongolia may be the only place on earth where gluten free doesn't exist...........it's a powerful marketing campaign that is designed to herd and better than a border collie, people don't stand a chance........people learned to like tofu, right, enough said. j/k. lol
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is exactly right.

We should all eat foods that are naturally gluten free.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Funny you post that, I'm supposed to be avoiding gluten because I have an autoimmune disease so I was in the grocery store mulling over gluten free brownies yesterday because I was craving a treat. Just couldn't do it. Organic junk food. It was trying to tell me they were healthy on the box but...no.

Ended up making a concoction with an over ripe banana and some dark chocolate chips and nuts when I got home which was way healthier and did the trick.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Meh, any list that has phrases like "bad carbs" and "unhealthy sugars" is bogus to me.
    This is exactly right.

We should all eat foods that are naturally gluten free.

Both of these. 95% of my "diet" is made up of naturally gluten-free things like ::gasp:: sweet potatoes, broccoli, raspberries that contain a lot of fiber. I don't think the gluten-free spaghetti I'm having tonight is going to be an issue.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    No one's disputing that naturally gluten free products are good for you. The article is more about those processed, packaged "gluten free" products in the supermarket.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No one's disputing that naturally gluten free products are good for you. The article is more about those processed, packaged "gluten free" products in the supermarket.

The point I was making was that, like any prepackaged foods, exercise moderation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1. Too little fiber:

Many highly processed gluten-free products and recipes are lower in fiber, and can leave you feeling hungry. Fiber is also essential for healthy bowel movements.

isn't fiber mostly just for creating more solid wastes?

fat makes for better bowel movements- I eat a fairly varied diet- and I never seek out fiber and I'm just fine- fat my friends- it does the dueces good.
  • Snugglebunny217
    Options
    I know it's junk food. But man, sometimes it's so blissful to be able to have a treat, as long as I'm good most of the time. We have a bakery in Austin that makes GF cake balls. It's a quarter-diameter piece of ~heaven~.

And lots of people without celiac's find they feel better when they avoid wheat. You aren't a "poser" if it makes you feel better.

But processed food is processed food. And you should eat it in moderation and not base your diet on it. Gluten free or otherwise.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your definition of "gluten free" is, the market is projected to be $15.6bn by 2016. That's a lot of no-wheat/barley/rye protein bread. Big business lends itself to aggressive marketing. People who don't even need to be gluten free are jumping on the bandwagon. Buyer beware. You may be spending tons more money for no good reason.
  • stillhere1981
    Options
    Also, anything I have ever eaten that was gluten free has been gross.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options

The point I was making was that, like any prepackaged foods, exercise moderation.

Prepackaged processed foods being the key words here. when I'm buying food at the grocery store I look for things with very very few Laboratory Chemical Words. Occasionally I go gluten free, because my body feels bloated when I eat foods with gluten in it. My mother is gluten sensitive, more so than I am, and can not handle any gluten and other foods. But I digress, my point, more real food, less processed prepackaged food.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ok.....

1) Just because you site the source doesn't make it a credible source. www.care2.com..... What they couldn't afford www.care1.com ?

2) Eating crap will make you feel like crap, regardless if it contains gluten or not. ( gluten free cookies, cakes, ect.)

3) Blindly believing that gluten is making you fat is just the current trend in a long list of dumb trends. Who honestly sees a label that is gluten free and " oh I can eat that; its healthy" ?
  • stillhere1981
    Options
    3) Blindly believing that gluten is making you fat is just the current trend in a long list of dumb trends. Who honestly sees a label that is gluten free and " oh I can eat that; its healthy" ?

Maybe people using this site wouldn't think that, but the average consumer might. Lots of things are deemed by public opinion as "healthy" without actually being so. It's like the label "natural" on products. Cyanide can be "natural" (for example in peach pits) but it still isn't good for you. Marketing is powerful stuff meant to convince you and manipulate you into buying things (I have an MBA in marketing, so I'm pretty familiar with this).
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Maybe people using this site wouldn't think that, but the average consumer might. Lots of things are deemed by public opinion as "healthy" without actually being so. It's like the label "natural" on products. Cyanide can be "natural" (for example in peach pits) but it still isn't good for you. Marketing is powerful stuff meant to convince you and manipulate you into buying things (I have an MBA in marketing, so I'm pretty familiar with this).

Valid point. Perhaps if people would take a moment to think for themselves they wouldn't have this issue.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Meh, any list that has phrases like "bad carbs" and "unhealthy sugars" is bogus to me.
    ^This.
  • nievebrienne
    Options
    I just wanted to mention that specifically at the beginning of the article it says "So you have Celiacs disease." I don't think the article meant to be advising people who jump on the gluten-free bandwagon without needing to.

Also - for anyone who does have issues with gluten - the paleo versions of the things made in stores are soooooo much better for you (in moderation, of course). If you have bowel issues, grain free is the way to go. It takes more time because you have to make it yourself, but its a worthy investment :):)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I know it's junk food. But man, sometimes it's so blissful to be able to have a treat, as long as I'm good most of the time. We have a bakery in Austin that makes GF cake balls. It's a quarter-diameter piece of ~heaven~.

And lots of people without celiac's find they feel better when they avoid wheat. You aren't a "poser" if it makes you feel better.

But processed food is processed food. And you should eat it in moderation and not base your diet on it. Gluten free or otherwise.

+1
  • stillhere1981
    Options

Valid point. Perhaps if people would take a moment to think for themselves they wouldn't have this issue.

I think people thinking for themselves would solve a lot of issues in the world :)
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They only just recently put guide lines on gluten free stuff, and it's hard to say that everyone follows completely to standard, there's a lot of dodging companies can do.

"FDA has set a gluten limit of less than 20 parts per million (ppm) for foods that carry the label “gluten-free,” “no gluten,” “free of gluten,” or “without gluten.” This level is the lowest that can be reliably detected in foods using scientifically validated analytical methods. Other countries and international bodies use this same criteria, as most people with celiac disease can tolerate foods with very small amounts of gluten.

Before the issuing of the regulation, there were no U.S. standards or definitions for the food industry to use in labeling products “gluten-free.” This left many consumers, especially those with a health concern, unsure of a food’s gluten content."

Biggest problem for me is that making something gluten free is expensive, definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy gluten free products; the only one that I have really gotten was Woodchuck, but it's a cider so not sure why gluten would be in it anyway.