Calling all beet haters!

Options
climbing_trees
climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
I used to think that I hated beets, until I made this recipe last night.

http://happyheartedkitchen.blogspot.com/2013/05/roasted-beet-lentil-hummus.html

beet2.jpg

Ingredients

1 + 1/2 cup cooked lentils (use ~3/4 cup uncooked)
2 medium beets
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 heaping tablespoons tahini paste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon sea salt
Basil leaves or other fresh herbs, for garnish

What to do
Preheat the oven to 400 F
Peel and chop the beets into small chunks, toss in a tiny bit of oil and bake on a baking sheet for about 20-25 minutes of until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Finely chop the garlic in a food processor and then add the tahini, oil, lemon juice, zest and salt and process until smooth. Add the lentils and beets and blend on high until smooth (add water to thin it out if necessary). Season to taste.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just vomited a little in my mouth...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There are very few veggies in the world that I cannot stand. Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, a few bitter greens...I'm not fond of rutabaga or swedes.

But beets? I wanted to like beets. They look amazing with the bright color that stains everything. They even smell kinda nice when you roast them. But they are so incredibly disgusting because they just taste like sweetened dirt.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I read the topic as Beer Haters and I immediately came in to freak out about people who don't like beer. *backing out*
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like beets but came in anyway. This actually looks and sounds good to me. So thanks.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like beets but came in anyway. This actually looks and sounds good to me. So thanks.
    I probably could have picked a better title >___>

oops~
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nah, they were your target audience, I was just curious :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    NO! Beets suck.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

*nod*

Of course, I don't like hummus either. So this recipe is just a general no go.

I'd suggest beets on salad if you don't like them. The ONLY way I like beets is fresh beets shredded onto my salad. I use Feta cheese on all my salads and the beet juice and feta combine to make a creamy yummy 'dressing'. YUM!!!
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I read the topic as Beer Haters and I immediately came in to freak out about people who don't like beer. *backing out*

same here, I love beets, this looks good, will try, thanks :-) and oh, I also LOVE beer wonder if this will go well with beer :tongue: :tongue:
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make myself eat some beetroot every now and again hoping that I'll eventually like it... *sigh* sadly no breakthrough yet.

I do however make beetroot brownies which are a-ma-zing :)http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749700/beetroot-brownies
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    It's pretty. But I'm sure it still tastes like dirt. Pretty dirt, but dirt nonetheless.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm a beet hater...I love veggies! But, I have issues with the taste.

I do however, LOVE the Red Velvet Smoothie posted by Thrive Forward....I make a couple small changes - I use unsweetened almond milk as my base and I toss in 1/2 cup strawberries or cherries.

http://thriveforward.com/recipe-center/red-velvet-detox-smoothie/#.VACW2MU7tMQ

1/2 cup raw red beets, chopped (I usually use 3/4 or more depending on the size of the beet I pull out of our garden)
    1 Tbsp cacao powder (I usually use Ghirardelli Dark cocoa powder, unsweetened)
    1/3 cup raspberries fresh or frozen (frozen is better for the smoothie)
    1 cup water lemon water may be used for extra detoxification benefits (I use unsweetened almond milk - 30 calories for 1 cup)
    1 serving of Vega One Nutritional Shake, Chocolate or your favorite chocolate flavored multi-source plantbased protein, and an added serving of greens. See Chlorophyll 101 for a list of recommended greens.

Oh and I usually throw in my beet greens too (1-2 cups worth)! :) UMMMM, YUMMY!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I just had pickled beets yesterday. Soo good. I'll have to try this recipe
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Same here. Guess the possibility of a beer hater out there gets us beer lovers ready to do battle.

Anyway, I generally avoid beets. Although I have been experimenting with drinking beet juice for blood pressure reasons. But I can't say I'll ever do more than tolerate the flavor...barely. Love the color, but they do taste like sweetened clod of moist dirt!
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    LOVE beets. Can't wait to try this recipe.

Sidenote...as mentioned above beets stain everything...I once accidentally dripped beet juice on my beige dog...I was worried someone would call animal control if they saw us on a walk
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Love beets, looking forward to trying this one.

To those who say beets taste like dirt, I have 2 tips:

1) Buy locally grown beets at a farmer's market. They taste so much better than what you will find at the average grocery store. Same goes for lots of veggies (radishes are another big one).

2) Wash, scrub, and peel the beets, then rinse off again. Beets are grown in very sandy soil, so they need to be cleaned really well.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Love beets. This looks heavenly.

They're also good roasted rubbed with just a little bit of olive oil. Or raw, grated in smoothies. Mmmmmm......
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Anyone else read it as beef haters?

The only way I enjoy beets is in red velvet cake.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's pretty. But I'm sure it still tastes like dirt. Pretty dirt, but dirt nonetheless.

^THIS

I love hummus though. Why ruin it by putting beets in it? Plain hummus looks like dirt. Not pretty. But yummy nonetheless.