allocating calories for evening snacking

Options
I have a habit that I can't seem to break. After my four little ones are down for the evening I really enjoy a little snack while relaxing to a tv program. I understand this is defined as emotional eating as I think it is a bit of a de stress behavior. I have tried to go without eating after dinner and I am successful for a few days then it sort of turns to a sneaky binge with the "I will do better tomorrow" cycle. I am thinking of just calling it what it is and allocating a couple hundred calories for evening snacks. I would love to hear any opinions. Please don't tell me to go and just work out, because I do that in the mornings and I won't at that time in the evenings. It is important time with the hubs.

Replies

• Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    If youre going to do it, make sure you cut back on other meals so you save up some calories for snacks.

You can change the snacks to something healthy (and control portion sizes accordingly).
  • taraleen
    taraleen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I typically use approx 200 calories for snacking in the evenings. I like things that take a while to eat.....like tootsie pop suckers (60 calories) or popsicles (40 calories). This way, I can have a couple of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Plan it into your day...EZ...

I don't think having an evening snack is "emotional eating"...I'm not an emotional eater and I pretty much always have an evening snack while I'm reading or watching t.v. I plan it into my day just like any other meal or snack...EZ.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I always have a post-evening meal pre-bed snack :) It's the only thing that keeps me on this 'diet' lol. I have around 200-300 calories each night, and it's always some form of chocolate/biscuit/cake thing. Tonight's is 210 calories worth of Lindt Lindor. Mmm! It doesn't matter when you eat. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you feel that it's something you enjoy, then I'd say: see if you can build it in. Sounds like a nice way to unwind at the end of the day.
  • jellybeans37
    jellybeans37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful responses
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I snack in the evening too. I leave enough calories to do this but I find low calorie crisps the best (crisps are my weakness!) so I just sit there sucking on some quavers for 88 calories!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I agree - there is nothing wrong with an evening snack as long as it fits in your calories. Planning to save 200 calories or so for that evening snack is perfectly fine. :wink:
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Celery and peanut butter healthy and filling

29509743.png
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing this too. Glad to see I'm not alone.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing. I plan on having 20% or more of my daily calories available for my evening snack. I normally go for a savory like plain yogurt, vegetables and spicy crackers, ham and Swiss on rye crackers, or a light sandwich. Sometimes I'll go for sweet, peaches in light syrup, light ice cream or even a little bit of chocolate cake! the main thing is that if you have 150 calories left, stay within your allowance. You'll be fine.

Also, I typically blow it on at least one day a week. Still, if you're 3500 calories under for the week, you lost 1 lb or fat. That's called scientific fact. It may take an additional week or two for it to show up but, the loss is there.

Hang tough!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I love my evening TV snack. I always pre-plan it. I leave 100-200 calories for it every day. If I don't eat those calories, great, but most of the time I do. The trick is that you have to portion out the snack to the calories you have left. Don't sit on the sofa with a giant bag of your favorite treat because you'll invariably go over your limit. I always weigh out the treat or buy single serving packages so I know exactly what I'm getting. When it's gone, it's done, I'm not "allowed" to go get more.
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    That's what I tend to do. My favorite meal is dinner by a lot, so I just cut back a little during breakfast and lunch so I can do whatever I like (within reason) for dinner and dessert. The only problem I have is that sometimes I will cut too far and then binge later, eating far too much.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    pre logging is your friend!
    I pre-log most of my day so i have 6 meals a day planned out which gives me snacking for evening :drinker:
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate in the evening. A piece of dark chocolate under 100 calories satisfies the craving. Also, a small handful of raisins often satisfies the urge. Oddly, on nights I'm having trouble falling asleep, a little bit of sweetness like this to do the trick and I doze off shortly after my treat. I don't know if there's a scientific reason for this but it works for me.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I plan for it. I like eating snacks while I watch TV, so I specifically save calories for that time. It's my quiet time without the kids to spend time with the husband and enjoy a snack.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Absolutely allocate for a night snack. I do everyday. I can't fall asleep unless I've had a little snack sometime after dinner.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Plan it into your day...EZ...

I don't think having an evening snack is "emotional eating"...I'm not an emotional eater and I pretty much always have an evening snack while I'm reading or watching t.v. I plan it into my day just like any other meal or snack...EZ.

I agree with this. When losing I would add in my snack prior to most of my meals and work around it...still ensuring I am hitting macros and calorie goals.

I love a milk chocolate bar in the evening...just makes like grand...

Even now I do it...
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That's what I tend to do. My favorite meal is dinner by a lot, so I just cut back a little during breakfast and lunch so I can do whatever I like (within reason) for dinner and dessert. The only problem I have is that sometimes I will cut too far and then binge later, eating far too much.

i do this too. i keep my day/work eating light so that i can have a free hand while i cook. every ingredient gets measured/weighed, recorded, and logged, but i've already allowed myself a good 900-1000 calories (not counting exercise calories) so that i'm not tempted to snack afterwards.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    pre logging is your friend!
    I pre-log most of my day so i have 6 meals a day planned out which gives me snacking for evening :drinker:

^^This. I would pre-log that evening snack first, just to make sure you have enough left for it.