Frustrated... need a hug!

Options

Replies

• JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Uh, what kind of physician are you exactly?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eat more and give yourself more time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    h5D9C7D4E
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hug!!!! you are doing just fine. I wouldn't worry so much about calorie intake, but more about fat grams, protein grams and sodium. More protein to build muscles and not lose what you already have, less fat grams and watch your sodium intake, fluid retention is a killer for weight gain. There is a new study out that says 45 minutes of strength training and cardio is optimum for weight loss, I would suggest you do cardio one day and strength the next, that way you get a full body work out every two days. :smile:
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I have been on here for fifteen days now. I started to get very serious about this about a week before that, so it is exactly 21 days to the day when I started exercising and changing.

I need to start by saying that I'm not terribly overweight. That being said, I can afford to be ten to fifteen pounds lighter. I have no health issues... I'm 42, perfect lipids, perfect thyroids, etc. I also lead a moderately active lifestyle (I'm a physician so I'm always running from room to room, picking up kids left and right, etc). My diet was also pretty normal, very little junk food, no sodas at all, not even diet sodas, etc.

My frustration lies in the fact that I have been extremely strict and dedicated to this cause: cardio for at least an hour every single day, counting all calories, etc... and I have seen very little result. Two pounds is nothing to be proud of. Yes, I lost a little off my waist, but the scale is stuck at the same weight. I tried "eating a bit more" so as to not induce this "starvation mode" and the scale moved up half a pound the next day. So I need to eat less. I am averaging about 800 cal a day so how is this sustainable?

I could exercise two hours a day but frankly, I am not young, my knee is already in a knee brace, and I don't want to start popping ibuprofen. I know I have to be patient. But oh, I am sooooo frustrated.

I've bolded the relevant parts of your post.

You're looking to lose 15 pounds. You've lost 2 pounds in your first three weeks. That is right in line with the experience of most people looking to drop that amount of weight. It is something to be proud of.

To address your concern about how much you're eating: 800 calories a day is not sustainable. Please go to this website and calculate your BMR and TDEE:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

This will give you a better idea of how much you should eat each day, at a sustainable level.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. I love New Braunfels! We used to go there every year and float the river when I was a kid!
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    First off hugs !!!!! Feel free to add me. I'm on daily:flowerforyou:
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    First of all, physicians are not trained in nutrition, weight loss, exercise training, etc. Those are specialities and if that's not her area, she probably knows very little more than the rest of us who aren't MDs. Just saying.

OP - You can lose by eating 800 calories a day while exercising. But it's not sustainable. What will happen is that you will lose both fat and also a higher % of lean muscle doing it that way versus taking your time and doing a moderate calorie restriction. So, if you want lose the weight quickly and then regain it because you can't maintain eating so little, keep doing what you are doing. However, if you want to keep the weight off, figure out what your calorie needs are and then reduce your intake by 20%. Here is a great tool:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And others have said, metabolism in a younger person might be higher, but not by that much - a couple hundred calories. Same with people who claim to have a "slow" metabolism. It's not a huge disparity from what would be considered normal.

If i were you, I would focus less on the scale and more on body recomposition. Who cares what the scale says if you look fit, toned and sexy? Lifting weights is the key to body recomp along with good nutrition.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be a nutritionist to know that 800 calories a day is too low.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Uh....

If you are a physician, then you should know that 800 calories a day is WAY TOO LOW.

This. You are a doctor. You should know that is not healthy.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is too obvious.. but is that 800 before or after you log your exercise?
    I don't have input either way, I'm not near as knowledgeable as some others, but I'm sure the difference would matter.

tl2_calvinnhobbshug.gif

Edited to add a cheesy hug image, because that's what you said you needed
  • MadameButterfly66
    MadameButterfly66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, please check out Chris Powell,s latest book, it's so awesome, I have finally got off my plateau, I have 7 pounds left and I can tell you it's an amazing program!! I like you was eating clean, exercising daily (just did the Vancouver 1/2 Marathon in May, finished in 1:48) and recording everything. The way it is structured in his book for both diet and exercise is awesome, I am spending less time working out and getting better results, it's all about carb cycling and so much more - I hope this helps and good luck on your journey and here's a hug :)))
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am a middle aged woman with a metabolism that is slower than my patients. Of COURSE that's not what I tell my patients. My patients are kids. They have normal metabolisms. Mine is slower, obviously, and more ineffective.

You've lost 2+~ lbs in 3 weeks? How is your metabolism slow?
  • nievebrienne
    Options
    Veil 557
    Thank you....that was my thought....I worked with a lot of M.D.'s over the years and there were a lot who were very much into nutrition, diet and exercise.

As for the stubborn pounds coming off - have you been having a "binge day"? Binge days (1 a week) reset your metabolism so that your body knows "Yes, there is food - I'm just choosing not to eat it." So the rest of the week you do really well, track your calories, etc. but 1 day a week you eat whatever you want. My brother and parents have both done that (parents are in their 50's) and they've lost between 10-11 pounds so far.

Also, as long as you're losing 1-2 lbs. per week you are making headway :):)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    hug!!!! you are doing just fine. I wouldn't worry so much about calorie intake, but more about fat grams, protein grams and sodium. More protein to build muscles and not lose what you already have, less fat grams and watch your sodium intake, fluid retention is a killer for weight gain. There is a new study out that says 45 minutes of strength training and cardio is optimum for weight loss, I would suggest you do cardio one day and strength the next, that way you get a full body work out every two days. :smile:

Um, no. Weight loss is calories in < calories out. The make up of those calories isn't important for weight loss. The make up of those calories is important for body composition and nutrients though. And dietary fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.
  • RachelStidd
    RachelStidd Posts: 1,102
    Options
    No need to be frustrated, you probably aren't seeing a change on the scale because you are most likely gaining muscle! :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    No need to be frustrated, you probably aren't seeing a change on the scale because you are most likely gaining muscle! :)

Negative. You can NOT gain muscle while eating in a deficit, especially as a woman. It takes a bunch of food, heavy lifting, and time to gain muscle.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am a middle aged woman with a metabolism that is slower than my patients. Of COURSE that's not what I tell my patients. My patients are kids. They have normal metabolisms. Mine is slower, obviously, and more ineffective.

I am 36....
    Will be 37 in October.....

And?????
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Weight loss is calories in < calories out. The make up of those calories isn't important for weight loss. The make up of those calories is important for body composition and nutrients though. And dietary fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

Pretty much that in a nutshell
  • ClaireJames776
    Options
    Hey OP!

I know exactly where you're coming from because I was in the same position a while ago. Firstly 800 calories is wayyy to low for you. Likely you'd be up around the 1500kcal mark for maintenance. When you go too low like you are, your body starts to hold onto every last bit of fat it can. At one point I was eating 800kcals like you and exercising 4hrs per day....I lost 11lbs and then stalled out and felt like crap.

Secondly, you're body has probably adapted to the cardio and its no longer a "shock" anymore.

This took me a long time to realize but you are much much better off incorporating resistance training and eating a more moderate amount of calories and then tapering them down slowly. You can find calorie counters online, but workouts can be a bit trickier with the vast amount of info and contradicting info out there. I was going to right my transformation story soon but you can check out juliesweightlossjourney.com. Thats the story that led me to pretty much learn everything I know.

good luck
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    I am brand new to the site, do like the format so far.
    To the op * I never hug on the first post* , seriously many have given great information and things to look at ...
    #1 - I agree that 800 calories are too low ,
    #2- 2 lbs in a few weeks when under 20 is not bad and shows progress even if it is not at the rate you like
    #3 - add strength training and core training to workouts try cutting down Cardio and doing at end of routine.
    #4 - by adding strength training you need to feed the muscles .... try to consume about 1500 calories with emphasis on protein. Eat the right Carbs but I would try and reduce you carbohydrates by 1/2 - 2/3rds while increasing protein the same amount. By adding strength training into the mix and limiting the Carbs your body will go to fat storage for energy quicker and consume at a faster rate. The high protein will protect muscles and give the nutrition for rebuilding..... If you do your workouts any time close to bedtime... try eating a couple ounces of grilled/baked chicken breast about between the workout and bedtime... usually about 30 minutes is good for most. the slow digesting protein will feed and fuel your healing muscles while continuing to keep a high metabolic rate going burning more calories and fat while you sleep. Get you full 8 hours of sleep ...